Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 03-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
Oscuro_Lupo
Account Closed.

What is the worst thing someone's said about your cosplay?

I don't get it too often, but every now and again someone is completely rude and insulting my cosplay or photograph.
The most rude thing I've ever gotten was some poorly executed insult 'no on will steal that kind of work..'

Not bad though.

What's the worst thing someone's said about your costumes/cosplay?

Cosplays:
Karena Lesproux - Finished
Classic Lara Croft - Completed
Jill Valentine-RE-3 - In Progress
Oscuro_Lupo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
Oniigiri_Basket
Fangirl Extraordinaire

I never heard anything, but I know I must've been getting some criticism for my first cosplay because it was just awful. What was supposed to be a mini skirt was down to my knees, maybe lower, everything was too big on me, I had no wig and hadn't even bothered straightening my hair, wore ankle socks instead of tights, and everything was from a sketchy Chinese site, so of course it was ALL hideous polyester. -shudder- I'd really be surprised if I hadn't gotten laughed at. XD

MCM London Comic Expo cosplay: Sayaka Miki [mermaid] (Madoka Magica), Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Nagisa Momoe (Madoka Magica)

ALA cosplay: Emily (The Corpse Bride), Sayaka Miki [mermaid] (Madoka Magica), Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Sai (Fragile Dreams)

2015 conventions: Anime Los Angeles, Anime Central, Japan Expo
Oniigiri_Basket is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
Oscuro_Lupo
Account Closed.

My first cosplay was pretty bad as well XD
I think all of us experience bad cosplaying at one point or another, but I'm glad you didn't get bullied over it

Cosplays:
Karena Lesproux - Finished
Classic Lara Croft - Completed
Jill Valentine-RE-3 - In Progress
Oscuro_Lupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #4
dx7879
King of the Pirates!

Although I just brushed it off, someone was SO sure I was cosplayed as someone else even though I told her I wasn't. Not sure why she was so insistent, but I was just like "whatever"

Not sure if that's quite consider a worse thing though :/

Youtube Page

Cosplays
Monkey D. Luffy (Film Z Battle Costume) - One Piece (2013)
Grumpy - The Dark Knight (2013)
Monkey D. Luffy (Alabasta) - One Piece (2012)
Monkey D. Luffy (2 Years Later) - One Piece (2012)
Monkey D. Luffy (Strong World) - One Piece (2011)
dx7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 10:11 PM   #5
Musouka_Ningyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dx7879 View Post
Although I just brushed it off, someone was SO sure I was cosplayed as someone else even though I told her I wasn't. Not sure why she was so insistent, but I was just like "whatever"

Not sure if that's quite consider a worse thing though :/
Once I had a guy insist that he had me on Facebook, despite me telling him numerous times that I don't have a Facebook. =_______=;; Not really a bad thing as a somewhat creepy thing, though.

I actually don't think I've ever had anyone tell me to my face that my costume was bad, and I don't visit sites like 4chan where people post pictures to say negative things, so I have no idea if I've ever been posted there. I guess I'm lucky that I started cosplaying back before social media really exploded (early 2000s), and cons seemed a bit friendlier back then anyway, so I think I got a lot of my "bad cosplay years" out of the way!

Though, I did go to a con where some people were treating me like I was a really bad Vocaloid cosplayer, though nothing explicitly negative was said...I also had a lot of people recognize that I was cosplaying from Jet Set Radio, so I just sort of shrugged it off. To this day, I'm not sure how people mistook me for Miku, but I guess everyone with some shade of blue hair and a pair of headphones was Miku in their eyes? This was back when Vocaloid was first exploding as a fandom, so many people probably weren't as familiar with the character designs as they are now, so I guess it's understandable.
)(er Imperious Condescension (Homestuck)Ballgown Dreamer Roxy Lalonde (Homestuck)
Misc. other cosplays
Musouka_Ningyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 10:33 PM   #6
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

No one has really said anything directly to me about my costume, but I have gotten pretty rude remarks about the fact that I am an Asian person dressing as Jack Sparrow :P I get numerous comments about this (mostly from people outside of the cosplay world). I have had people criticize my costume online though (one person insisted that Sweeney's vest is green, and that I was totally inaccurate because of that fact, which was incredibly annoying because they definitely had not watched the movie at all to think that his vest is green :P )
Unread 03-08-2013, 10:54 PM   #7
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

Got posted on 4chan a couple of times, got called obese and stupid among being bashed for using a crappy phone camera for my pictures.

I WAS stupid in the way I dealt with it, though I didn't have any other way to take pictures at the time and was really freakin' insecure about my weight. I deserved some of those comments, but others were just taking it way too far. :/
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 10:59 PM   #8
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=147649

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 12:29 AM   #9
Eau de Decus
Her Second Self

Nothing...to my face at least. I'm too fabulous to care anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana05 View Post
Yeah, pretty much.
Eau de Decus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 02:12 AM   #10
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

I agree that the thread Shana linked is very similar to this as well.

But recently I got a lot of negative feedback on my Stocking costume on the official Panty and Stocking Facebook page. My friends and I posed with Justin from Funimation and he posted the picture on the page. My friends as Panty and Garterbelt got nothing but praise. I got some, but a lot of people were like "Love Panty and Garter, but that Stocking..." and one said "Well, if she's happy with it..." I just let it roll off my back because I was sort of laughing on the inside thinking "Go ahead and say those things. I made all three costumes and won a Craftsmanship award for them! Haha!" I agree with Eau de Decus, I just let myself be too fabulous to care though. Because no matter how good you are, someone will always have something negative to say. It's human nature.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #11
SirWonderusMary
Join the Flock~

I haven't really cosplayed very much but the only time I can recall is when I went to a con last year as Casual!Leather jacket Tony Stark. Was pretty cool, even if my Fiancee was getting more attention really in her Loki cosplay (was hilarious too when people took secret pics of her when she had the Reindeer Antlers on I suggested to her) when these guys call us over to them. This is after she proposed to me, but the guys called me over and this guy is like "Yo man, You're not the real Tony Stark. THIS is the real Tony Stark *points to his pajama pants*" I'm like "What....? O3o" Excuse myself and tell my Fiancee of how idiotic the guys are. Honestly, if you're going to tell me something like that why even bother to call me over?
-Mega-con 2015
-Metro-con 2015

Cosplay List:
-Loftwing (Skyward Sword)
-Postman (Gentlemen's Alliance Cross)
-Joker (Black Butler)

SirWonderusMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #12
Amanita

I do original characters- personifications, to be exact. I had one ignorant child tell me that if she saw me at a con, cosplaying what I do, she would think I was "crazy and to be avoided". Wow, ignorance, close-mindedness, and ableism all at once!

Since the character was inspired by an NYC skyscraper, she also gave me a load of crap about how pathetic I was for going to NYC, and taking the costume with me. She thought it was the whole reason for my trip. Suuuure!
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #13
SirWonderusMary
Join the Flock~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
I do original characters- personifications, to be exact. I had one ignorant child tell me that if she saw me at a con, cosplaying what I do, she would think I was "crazy and to be avoided". Wow, ignorance, close-mindedness, and ableism all at once!

Since the character was inspired by an NYC skyscraper, she also gave me a load of crap about how pathetic I was for going to NYC, and taking the costume with me. She thought it was the whole reason for my trip. Suuuure!
I honestly don't see why some people have a problem with personifications of buildings or anything. There are even cool designs for websites!http://neko-vi.deviantart.com/gallery/36793491 that is the link if you haven't seen it but they are interesting designs. Sad how some people can't see how creative people like you are.
-Mega-con 2015
-Metro-con 2015

Cosplay List:
-Loftwing (Skyward Sword)
-Postman (Gentlemen's Alliance Cross)
-Joker (Black Butler)

SirWonderusMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #14
Amanita

Yeah, personification is awesome to play with! It's sad that some people are so close minded and can't comprehend anything other than Anime as a cosplay subject, or turn their nose up at all originals. Hey, the guy who apparently got cosplay at cons started was an OC!
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 10:33 PM   #15
Kokoro Hane
Mangaka on a mission~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
Yeah, personification is awesome to play with! It's sad that some people are so close minded and can't comprehend anything other than Anime as a cosplay subject, or turn their nose up at all originals. Hey, the guy who apparently got cosplay at cons started was an OC!
Really? That's neat to know.

And I also think personifications is neat. My friend who makes a lot of cosplays was working on make dessert-themed cosplays, it sounded so cute and very creative! Would love to see one of a building someday~
Meiko [default] (Vocaloid)
Hajime (Hamatora) {debuted at; Anime Conji 2014}
Tomoyo Daidouji [summer uniform] (Cardcaptor Sakura)
Xiaoyu [school uniform] (Tekken Tag Tournament 2)

Currently in the works!
Keichii Maebara [casual, genderbent] (Higurashi)
Shinji Ikari [school uniform, genderbent] (Neon Genesis Evangelion)
Kokoro Hane is offline   Reply With Quote