Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 03-09-2013, 09:54 PM   #1
TheGreatGoatGod
Lace up.

Saiyan Armor

Okay, so I have yet to attempt due to funds, but I was wondering something.

Every time I think of doing a DBZ cosplay, one of the most common ways to tell it is from Dragon ball, is the "Saiyan armor". This is well known, yet everyone (and I mean EVERYONE!) has done the armor out of paper, cardboard, or cloth, and though you can get the look that way I feel like they all lack the a realistic look to it. Am I alone in thinking that way? That if you make armor it should have some kind of hardness and protectiveness to it.

Personally I am planning on making a set of saiyan armor out of fiberglass, and hardware mesh. Though it will not be as portable as a cloth cosplay, it should be able to withstand more damage, than any alternatives (other than metal). And it has the upside of being cleanable (a problem found in many other cosplays I have found)

The downsides of fiberglass would be the extra weight, rough edges, and the trouble with alteration.

(As soon as I get started on this project, and that should be soon, I will post pictures of my progress) however any recommendations, and any communication is appreciated (it does wonders for my self esteem)
“If you want to believe in reincarnation, you have to believe that this life, what you're living through right now, is the afterlife. You're missing out on the afterlife you looked forward to in your last existence by worrying about your next life. This is what happens after you die. Take a look.”
― Brad Warner
TheGreatGoatGod is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-10-2013, 12:48 AM   #2
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

you might want to go with eva and fiberglass. itll lighten the load but you will still get that armor look
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
Swiftstart

i would think craftfoam would work well
and it is light compared ot other options ^^
Swiftstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
Amanita

Yeah, I saw a suit of saiyin armor that somebody made on Deviant art, using EVA foam- they had used a dremel or something to carve into it and round off all the edges, and then painted it using an airbrush. It looked awesome.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 05:10 PM   #5
CosplayGirHouse

As Amanita mentioned, there is an amazing piece on dA. If you follow the link below, you will find Trunks' armor made from EVA foam(in their case, it appears they used the floor mat variety, but you could use craft foam as well). The paint job is via airbrushing, so unless you have skill with one, it will be tough to make it that well.

http://docskavenger.deviantart.com/gallery/39721870

dA

Facebook
CosplayGirHouse is offline   Reply With Quote