Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 03-14-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
MissAmiMizuno
Ami-chan

Sailor Mercury wig - styling help!

I am going as Super Sailor Mercury to a con in two weeks and I have already started cutting and styling the wig. I have been looking for some actual tutorials on cutting/styling her wig, but have come up short. I know tons of people have done it, but there are only a few wigs I've seen people in that I would REALLY like to re-create the look of.

I have this wig from Epic Cosplay: http://blog.epiccosplay.com/wp-conte...ack-Fusion.jpg

I guess what I'm trying to do, is get it to a point where I can cut it to get the excess sides off so it isn't just one long length all the way around at the bottom but is shaped more like her: http://browse.deviantart.com/art/Sai...st-1-317939242

I guess I'm just looking for advice about maybe cutting it this way? I am good on the bangs themselves but just blending them into the sides and then making it look layered like that...any suggestions?

Thanks!
MissAmiMizuno is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #2
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

First you want to tease the root with hairspray to give the wig some lift. Amy's hair is very full looking.

When cutting with sheers you want to cut vertically instead of horizontally and in layers. The bottom layer of hair should be the longest and each layer should be a1/8" to 1/4" shorter and build it up to create a bob style.

FanEXPO
Wearing random Arda Wigs.
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Unplugged Expo
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North, (maybe) Otakuthon, FanEXPO '15
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #3
MissAmiMizuno
Ami-chan

Hi Ani_BEE! Thanks for the advice. I think I can manage that. I have been trying to also cut with a razor, but it gets dull so fast. I might just have to section the back and use sheers to layer as you suggested. ^_^
MissAmiMizuno is offline   Reply With Quote