Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Unread 03-15-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
Chikkijet
I am a Woman-Child :P

Question I Didn''t Think I'd Have to *Do* Anything...

Hey guys,

I am currently working on a Princess Zelda cosplay which I am planning to enter into the contest at Middle East Film & Comic con in April.

Now this will be my first go at entering a cosplay comp, a few days ago I filled out the application and it says that we have to pose on stage for between 30sec and 2 minutes. I am leaning towards 30sec since I am a newbie and might get stage fright My music clip is just some OoT music (Zelda's theme, since it is more well known I think that the TP music) and it goes for 30sec.

I am not sure at all what I should do. The last cosplay event I saw in Dubai, everyone just walked on in a group, walked over one by one, waved, maybe threw a pose (or not) and told everyone who they were cosplaying as. This one sounds a bit more serious/formal.

I do have an ocarina (but only learning to play) so thought maybe I could mime playing it to the music for a bit, make a few poses then go?

Help!!

Awards: EB Expo Runner Up Best Costume Just 'Cos Contest '12, Video Games Live Dubai Cosplay Winner '13
Chikkijet is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-16-2013, 08:54 AM   #2
Millions_Knives

if your not comfortable on stage you may be happier entering a hall event
is that something they have?
it is the largest collection of cosplay tutorials and cosplay fun on youtube.
Millions_Knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
Amanita

They have cosplay events in Dubai! Cool!

If you like, you can work on a few simple poses that your character would do- hold one pose for about 10 secs, transition to another, hold, then do your third. This gives the audience a chance to look at you and your costume, and you don't have to worry about acting.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #4
Chikkijet

Well it's not that I'm uncomfortable on stage (though I wouldn't say I'm super super confident either) but I have done quite a lot of public speaking, and I once acted as part of a performance in a stadium, which was pretty nerve wracking but I did okay. I suppose the fact that I won't need to speak makes me feel okay about it.

This is the only cosplay event that they have, since the con is only in the 2nd year.

Yeah, I like the idea of a couple of poses, that shouldn't be too difficult to practice. I am sure a prop would make posing easier, too.

Cosplay is pretty new in the Middle East, but gaining popularity. There are a few clubs who do some meetups and anime-related events.

Awards: EB Expo Runner Up Best Costume Just 'Cos Contest '12, Video Games Live Dubai Cosplay Winner '13
Unread 03-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #5
Amanita

Coolness..Anyone into science fiction or non-Anime? I've got some OCs I'm designing based on Dubai skyscrapers. My con outfit for this year is based on The Tower, a pretty pyramid crowned skyscraper on Sheikh Zayed Road, and a friend of mine may be joining me, doing Princess Tower.

As for your performance- having a prop will help with the poses, it gives you something to work with. Imagine a Jedi cosplayer- empty handed wouldn't look nearly as impressive as having a lightsaber! It also helps complete your costume. Sometimes props, even small accessories really help to finish off an outfit and make it stand out. In any case, not being able to speak is fairly common- microphone cords get in the way, and in large auditoriums, a lot of people would not be able to hear you. So in skits with spoken dialogue, a lot of people pre-record it, and lip synch or pantomime.
Unread 03-17-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
Chikkijet

Well, Zelda doesn't tend to speak (unless it's cartoon Zelda) so I'm fine with that!!

I know that building, I have friends who live there. It's one of the prettier ones IMO, it reminds me of the Chrysler Building. I think there's a few people into sci-fi cosplay as well, but video games are pretty big here so the majority I think cosplay either games or anime.

Unread 03-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #7
Amanita

You have friends who live in The Tower? Oh cool! I've heard that building has a really pretty lobby, but sadly I've not been able to find pics online. I'm working out how to incorporate its ornament into the costume- I love the huge gothic arched window at its base, and all that pretty silver ornament further up, that lifts up and peels out from the building's skin. I was fantastically lucky- a book I bought on Dubai skyscrapers has a full architectural drawing of the building, so I can use that to model that pretty crown more accurately. It's even going to light up inside, just like the real thing! And somewhere in there, I'm going to incorporate the Arabic script you can see written on its base, kind of like a skyscraper name tag

I'm aiming for a combo of robes and armor- silver, and a couple of shades of blue being the main colors, with some black in the underlayers. I might even do something really cool like run EL wire along the edges of the armor plates, the real building puts on a light show at night, I may as well too

Overall, is doing photoshoots in public tolerated in Dubai? I was giving thought to bringing the outfit with me whenever I come, and doing a few small photoshoots around town.

As for your series of poses, Definitely take some cues from character artwork- if there's any really well known pics of the character, or poses that are associated with her, those are good to work with, helping bring the character to life.
Unread 03-18-2013, 10:32 PM   #8
Chikkijet

That sounds really cool and creative!! +1 for light-up :P

I think I have some pics at home on my computer of the entrance archway etc, let me know if you wanna see.

I got a costume sword today- not the one I wanted- but I figured it would be agood prop since Zelda is shown holding one. I might even do a joke "treasure chest da da da daaaaa" sound in my piece at te end and hold it up, hehehe... we'll see....

Unread 03-19-2013, 12:55 AM   #9
Amanita

Oh, I'd love to see the pics! That is such a pretty skyscraper. I'm still trying to figure out what I should use to build the crown out of, so it will be strong- I may be swordfighting in it!

The treasure chest sounds like a good idea- you could build a treasure chest prop large enough to hold the sword in, and use it in your stage show, pulling the sword out as that sound plays. The chest need not be anything too complicated- I've seen great props made out of thick cardboard and painted.
Unread 03-19-2013, 09:42 AM   #10
CaptainLiney
captain charl

Another thing you could do is twirl around and make your dress fan out a little? I mean it's a really princess-y thing.
CaptainLiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 01:58 PM   #11
Chikkijet

Oh dw, I am *definitely* planning to twirl the dress.... wheeeeee!