Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Site Headquarters

Closed Thread
Unread 03-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

A couple of updates

First off, the event calendar will be updated on Monday and Tuesday.

Second, we will be looking for beta testers soon, for a new photo/costume/account panel. This account panel has a new photo uploader that gets rid of the current errors, but since it is new code we’d like to test it out a bit before going live with it.

A few additions to this new administration area that directly address some complaints we get often - you can change the display order of your costumes, you can change the order of your photos per gallery/costume/etc. You can choose an image to appear as the main image for your gallery. Images will no longer be directly tied into albums and costumes, so you can put them into more than one.

Also, we are working on some photographer additions, one sample image below shows a new feature where you can add information about your photo equipment, and tag images based on camera and lens.

I’ll post more info when we’re closer to the beta-test, but I just wanted to let everyone know that we are definitely keeping an eye on the suggestions/concerns, and things are moving forward here, just a bit more silently and slowly than we’d prefer.

Also - please note that while the photo/costume administration has a dark background for testing purposes, the front end of the site where the photos and costumes display is not changing to a black background. Clicking on any of the images below will open the full, larger image.

Main photo Edit Page:

Photo Data tab on Photo Edit page, showing camera, lens, date, etc:

Main costume edit page - you can upload photos directly here, change your costume icon, and there are new features being added such as to-do lists and more:

Costume "Other Info" tab:

Camera page, showing tagged images, lenses tab on the right:

Unread 03-16-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
sailortintin
Xenofreak

No updates on the marketplace? We were told that it was only going to be a couple of weeks but it's been a year now.

Dragoon Miranda remake (Legend of Dragoon): 20%
Princess Agitha (Zelda): 10%
Princess Eclair (La Pucelle): 40%

Last edited by sailortintin : 03-16-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Unread 03-16-2013, 11:02 PM   #3
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

The samples above are just an example of the current progress on some edits that fix and increase the functionality of the more popular sections of the website. We will be visiting the marketplace separately after we have the photo uploader and a few other things updated, as they are part of the core of the website and used by the most users.

Our top three priorities at first are getting the event calendar updated, implementing a new, more modern photo uploader, and adding some functionality to the costumes (like costume sort order and in-costume image sort order).
Unread 03-17-2013, 01:03 AM   #4
Blue Leader
The Gundam Fanatic

It's good to finally get some updates on something. Things have seemed like they've been floating in limbo for a while now. The photo stuff is sounding promising.

Still, any news on when/if journals will be returning?
Unread 03-17-2013, 01:13 AM   #5
Eau de Decus
Her Second Self

Cautiously optimistic...
Unread 03-17-2013, 01:30 AM   #6
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eau de Decus View Post
Cautiously optimistic...
Right there with ya..

Honestly, The new features (granted we get them lol) seem pretty kool though. I like the extra options.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Serena (Pokemon Y [It's the one I have lol])
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
Unread 03-17-2013, 01:40 AM   #7
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Leader View Post
It's good to finally get some updates on something. Things have seemed like they've been floating in limbo for a while now. The photo stuff is sounding promising.

Still, any news on when/if journals will be returning?
Limbo is an understatement.

Journals are coming back, but they're another example of a lower priority vs the above-mentioned items. I'd like to get the photos/costumes administration updated and tested first, and then start tackling everything else one by one.

A lot of what holds us back is being so tied into vBulletin due to the user registration/administration. This new back-end is independent from it and for now just validates user accounts through vBulletin - so the forums become an extension of the site, rather than the rest of the site being an extension of the forums. Long story short, it's making everything else a lot simpler to complete.

This time around we're going to test everything thoroughly with a group of beta testers, so I'll post an open call for that soon.
Unread 03-17-2013, 12:14 PM   #8
Mr. Robot

Definitely glad to see the photo uploader get some love. Would it also be possible for you guys to work in a script to run on the database that fixes picture counts as well?

I know I'm not the only one with "billions" of pictures as a result of upload errors, and I am betting there are many more that are off by a couple one way or the other as a result as well. Hopefully the new system makes the need for such a thing a one-time run.
Unread 03-17-2013, 12:35 PM   #9
chiagirl
Sheena Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin View Post
First off, the event calendar will be updated on Monday and Tuesday.
YES!!!!!!!

Will the "This month's events" section be updated as well?

Last edited by chiagirl : 03-17-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Unread 03-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #10
Sinnocent
Sinful Innocence

Ok, I might have misunderstood what you said, but I just want to clarify ... are we no longer having albums? Cuz if so I'm extremely upset about that, the organization of albums was one of the things I LOVED about this site.

Upcoming Conventions

AnimeFEST
Friday: ChiChi (Dragonball Z) Saturday: Nico Robin (One Piece)
Sunday: Princess Aurora (Sleeping Beauty) Monday: Original Design Moon Dress

DCC - Fan Days
Friday: Engineer (Star Trek) Saturday: Julia (Cowboy Bebop)
Sunday: Original Design Moon Dress

+2 (maybe 3) more later this year
Unread 03-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #11
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

Albums aren't going anywhere.
Unread 03-17-2013, 09:20 PM   #12
Sinnocent
Sinful Innocence

OH ok, thank god, I was really worried about that XD

But everything else sounds great! I LOVE the idea of being able to reorganize the pictures too, I've been wanting to be able to do that for years, haha.

Oh, one other thing, is the upload limit for pictures going to be increased? cuz it's a total pain to have to go into photoshop and resize ALL of my photos just so I can upload them on here, lol.

Btw, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to be a beta tester, I upload pictures quite frequently, so I'd get to use a lot of the functions and could give good feedback. Just ... putting that out there, lmao.

Upcoming Conventions

AnimeFEST
Friday: ChiChi (Dragonball Z) Saturday: Nico Robin (One Piece)
Sunday: Princess Aurora (Sleeping Beauty) Monday: Original Design Moon Dress

DCC - Fan Days
Friday: Engineer (Star Trek) Saturday: Julia (Cowboy Bebop)
Sunday: Original Design Moon Dress

+2 (maybe 3) more later this year
Unread 03-17-2013, 09:28 PM   #13
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

This is looking great!!!
It's so nice to see this site going somewhere!
I'd love to beta test as well, if you are looking for people. (:
Unread 03-20-2013, 03:44 PM   #14
chiagirl
Sheena Cosplayer

So I see the calendar now has 2013 cons and the "this month's events" section finally got updated. Awesome. However, when you try to view photos for an event, it still tells you "The photo gallery from this event will be active once the main gallery has re-opened." Is this going to be fixed soon?

I also noticed it doesn't look like any new events that users have submitted were added to the calendar. I know I submitted some cons months ago and they still haven't shown up.

Last edited by chiagirl : 04-01-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Unread 03-20-2013, 03:54 PM   #15
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

It's not complete yet, we go through each entry and verify the info before it goes onto the calendar. They're going up as we add them.
Closed Thread