Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 03-12-2004, 07:04 PM   #1
megumibish
I should be drawing Yaoi.

Pencil Liner probs.

Well, first off I have slanted eyes. So when my eyes are open you can't see the top of my eyelids right on the lashline. And no matter what I do with my pencil liners they end up flaking off on my lower lids living me looking like a raccoon in a few hours(if not less ^_^;. I do set it with a light application of matching shadow but it still comes off. Liquid liner isn't much of an option since I like the smudge of pencil liner for some things. I was wondering if anyone with this problem could suggest certain brands or techniques for keeping the pencil on longer. Or should I simply get those spray on makeup setters. I have used maybelline and almay liners but nothing else.

Unread 03-12-2004, 07:34 PM   #2
mikazuki
三日月

Have you tried crayon eyeliners? Its a cross between a pencil and a liquid. I'm in LOVE with the crayon eyerliners since its so easy to use and make the "smokey" eyes look.

Here's one that's similar to what I use. I use NYC, WNW and a few others but I just named the top two inexpensive ones to try.

mikazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2004, 12:32 AM   #3
deschaos
Anime Dessinatrice

lol... i have a question too... how do you put eyeliner on asian eyes? i don't have an eyefold, so whenever i put on eyeliner, it looks funny and i have to gothify it, but i can't do a smoky eye.
deschaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2004, 01:52 AM   #4
Scrapped Neko
Curiosity killed this cat

Have you tried brushing some powder foundation over the liner to set it instead of shadow? That usually does the trick.

deschaos- Have you tried this: close the eye you're applying it to (not tightly, but in relaxed manner, as if you're sleeping). Then place your finger on the outer corner of the eye. Pull outward so your eyelid becomes taut and smooth. Then draw the line as close to the base of your lashes as possible.

For the smokey look, start by brushing a light shade (like champagne) of eyeshadow from your lashes to the brow bone. Next use a black or charcoal eyeliner and apply it across your upper lid and 3/4 across the bottom one (Never apply eyeliner all the way across your lower lids. It tends to make eyes look smaller). Then apply a darker shade of shadow, like charcoal or brown. But this time stop at the crease of the eyelid, instead of going to the brow bone. Finally, use a Q-tip to gently blend the liner and the shadows together.

Last edited by Scrapped Neko : 03-13-2004 at 02:16 AM.
Scrapped Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2004, 03:13 AM   #5
megumibish
I should be drawing Yaoi.

Thanks for the tips so far. I will have to try powder foundation. Just need to buy some.

For asian eyes I tend to put liquid liner either very thinly/thickly on the eyelid on top of the lashes and then use pencil liner on the inside of the upper lid and between the lashes. That way you can actually see the liner while wearing it. I agree with neko on not shadowing the bottom lids. That and fully lining the inside bottom lid.
Unread 03-14-2004, 11:08 PM   #6
deschaos
Anime Dessinatrice

thanks~

now all i need to do is learn how to balance it ><
deschaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2004, 02:12 AM   #7
archangeli
~ Ich bin da. ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by deschaos
thanks~

now all i need to do is learn how to balance it ><

- rest one arm on a table while you apply to keep it steady
- use short strokes (almost like dashes). you're less likely to go wrong that way
- if needed, you can always "clean up" your line with a triangular q-tip dipped in make-up remover
Unread 03-15-2004, 12:01 PM   #8
HuongStar

Asian eyelids also tend to be oily so using a powder/cake eyeliner is also recommended. Just lightly wet the eyeliner brush and dip into the pan, applied to the lid using short "dash" motions; then go back to fill in the line. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'll just say that everyone else had great advice.
Unread 03-25-2004, 08:39 PM   #9
archangeli
~ Ich bin da. ~

I've used cake eyeliners before - I really can't say that I've come across on that I like.

One tip that I do have to help "lift" your eyes: apply a dab of concealer on the outside corner of each eye. People tend to have a bit of redness/shadows there and covering it up instantly brightens and "lifts" the eyes.
Unread 03-26-2004, 08:17 AM   #10
Lillyxandra
Cosplay 4 life YO!

Revlon has a new eyeliner called "wet/dry" i love it, if you dampen the pencil before you apply it it turnes out looking like liquid liner, plus its very easy to apply.
Unread 03-26-2004, 08:23 AM   #11
Romann
Fantastic Explosion

^ Ohh! Thanks for that suggestion! Whenever I buy my eyeliner, I end up hagin to "soften" it with my blow dryer so that it will glide on easier. I'll try that Revlon one now ^^