Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 03-15-2013, 11:25 PM   #1
chimchim

Custom Printed Fabric??

Hello fellow cosplayers!
I am looking into making a bodysuit that requires a carbon fiber look to it and i thought it would be cool to print the lycra through a service online (less time consuming and cleaner).
Thing is i've never ordered from this site before

http://fabricondemand.com/

Has anyone ever ordered from this site. Particularly their lycra?

If so. When the fabric stretches is it thin or see through?

Anything you know about this place would be nice to know, thank you for your replies in advance.
chimchim is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-16-2013, 12:31 AM   #2
Shallon
Loves Details

The lycra is a 86% Polyester / 14% Spandex so it feels like swimsuit material. You should order a sample before you buy though just in case it is not the weight you want. Also use photo shop to create the fabric design. There might be some additional design fee's if you need their help and read all the "custom ordering tips" first.
Shallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
thirty2bit
Shacchan

I just did a bit of googling around, and it looks like the reviews are mostly positive ^^ Apparently the colours on their stretch fabrics can fade when stretched too much, though, so Id be more careful with how you use the fabric/fit your garment since for the most part their printing quality is good.

I mainly cosplay Sailor Moon, Touhou and Legend of Zelda.
thirty2bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
ShaylaTheRoo
Animal Husbandry Expert

I'll be getting in my order for their poly-cotton blend today, so as soon as I get home I can tell you how that came out vs what I was going for. Part of their ordering process does allow you to enter comments, so as well as attaching my image for the printing process, I entered a link to the costume I was planning to use the fabric on. We'll see how much that actually helped here at around 5:30!

EDIT:
Okay, I've gotten my fabric in!

I attached both the image of what I submitted to them as well as a pic of the completed fabric. The colors are definitely more muted than my image for the poly-cotton, but it'll do. I totally recommend getting swatches - or if you can afford it, pay for their service for getting your image just how it needs to be to print your fabric as you intend it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plaid.jpg (162.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg fabric.JPG (171.4 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by ShaylaTheRoo : 03-18-2013 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Added image attachments
ShaylaTheRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 11:04 PM   #5
chimchim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaylaTheRoo View Post
I'll be getting in my order for their poly-cotton blend today, so as soon as I get home I can tell you how that came out vs what I was going for. Part of their ordering process does allow you to enter comments, so as well as attaching my image for the printing process, I entered a link to the costume I was planning to use the fabric on. We'll see how much that actually helped here at around 5:30!

EDIT:
Okay, I've gotten my fabric in!

I attached both the image of what I submitted to them as well as a pic of the completed fabric. The colors are definitely more muted than my image for the poly-cotton, but it'll do. I totally recommend getting swatches - or if you can afford it, pay for their service for getting your image just how it needs to be to print your fabric as you intend it.

Thanks for the pictures! they help a bunch!
as far as the printing goes it doesn't look as bright as your pattern =(
my design is grey through black.
i will have to order a swatch to see what its like. Thanks a bunch!!!
chimchim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 08:37 AM   #6
ShaylaTheRoo
Animal Husbandry Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimchim View Post
Thanks for the pictures! they help a bunch!
as far as the printing goes it doesn't look as bright as your pattern =(
my design is grey through black.
i will have to order a swatch to see what its like. Thanks a bunch!!!
No problem - and I agree, I was kind of bummed about that. What really sucks is that I found an already color adjusted Joker print posted on spoonflower.com, AND for less! I'll just consider getting a swatch of that before I do an order, and if it looks right then the fabricondemand stuff will be what I get the pattern adjusted on.

So, in the future, if you need printing done on just basic cotton or silk, spoonflower users have uploaded a number of designs where you can see if what you need has already been made before. :P

Good luck, and if you remember, post pictures of your swatch vs the image you sent in - I'd love to see how the stretch materials come out!
ShaylaTheRoo is offline   Reply With Quote