Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 03-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #1
ashainoki

Question Running FOr Weight Loss?

I somehow just found the motivation to try to lose weight today. The way I figured to do it, that would be most accessible to me is to run on the treadmill. At first I had wanted to lose about 20 lbs in 2 months to have a healthier body by my next con in May but, after some research, I found that to basically be impossible unless I wanted to harm my health. Now, I am about 5'3" and 160 lbs and I was wondering, what would be the best combination of running for me to lose weight as fast as possible? Keep in mind that my treadmill has a speed of up to 10 mph and can reach a high incline.

Thank you for reading this!
ashainoki is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
rndmguy

Depending where you're coming from, 20lbs. in a couple of months might not be totally unrealistic. A bit silly and difficult, yes, but not "unhealthy".

Anyway, I personally hate running. It's boring. If running isn't something you enjoy then you're going to get burned out doing it, and pretty quickly.

In terms of time, running at a higher incline at a higher speed is going to burn more calories, but if time isn't really an issue and all you're looking to do is burn energy, then you could walk up a moderate incline and see no difference besides your joints not aching as much.

The most important thing is diet, and by diet I mean calorie consumption. Calculate your caloric needs, eat at a deficit, and you'll lose weight with or without exercise. All the exercise in the world doesn't matter if you're not in a caloric deficit.

Around NE OH or NW PA? I'd love to take photos of your cosplay.
rndmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
ashainoki

That all makes sense. lol Running is a bit boring to me, but I try to spice it up with music and what not but, I have to continually convince myself to do it. If I might ask, what do you do to exercise? And also, since I'm sorta new to all of this; what is a caloric deficit?
Unread 03-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #4
rndmguy

For exercise? I lift weights and for my cardio I play DDR. Haven't had the chance to take any recent videos, and I'd like to see how my form(such thing for DDR?) has improved over the past year, but this is what I do for cardio...pretty much every day. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QixneukUmyY

A calorie deficit means that you eat fewer calories than your body uses.

Simply put, let's say your body requires 2000 calories to maintain its current weight. To lose weight, you would eat something below 2000 calories(ideally around 1700-1800 calories). You'd be in a deficit.

Likewise, if you wanted to gain weight you'd eat a calorie surplus. Instead of 2000 calories, you'd eat around 2200 calories a day.

As long as you're meeting protein and dietary fat requirements then you can pretty much eat whatever you want. As long as you're in a caloric deficit you should be losing weight. The most basic math and science working here.

Unread 03-19-2013, 05:42 PM   #5
ashainoki

Ah, thank you for clearing that up for me. And that definitely makes a whole lot of sense, and I will definitely incorporate this into my weight loss plan. lol Also, dancing sounds fun, maybe I'll add that too. Like, every other day I'll run on the treadmill and then the other days I dance for... an hour or so? I could choose a new dance every day! Haha, this will be SO fun.
Unread 03-19-2013, 06:05 PM   #6
rndmguy

I don't know, sometimes I come off as the guy shoving my way as the only way, but the whole calorie in vs calorie out thing is essentially all there is to weight loss. No matter what way you want to twist it, it is the one thing that remains the same.

Things like weight watchers have a way of jazzing it up, but it still boils down to you eating less than what's required to maintain your current weight.

While in the early stages of weight loss you might not have to pay attention to it as much, when you get leaner and leaner then it becomes that much more necessary to success. Skipping that step is ultimately setting yourself up for failure and disappointment.

So it's good that you're going to definitely take it into consideration.

As for dancing, it can be really good cardio. I like to compare what I do more to like HIIT sprint training than actual dancing, but anything that gets your heart rate going is going to be good. Climbing stairs, skating, jump rope, martial arts, swimming, all of that would be good.

Unread 03-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #7
pandagilbirds
Is this a pigeon?

Just so you know, if you eat as much as you run, nothing will change. Just because you'll run hardcore doesn't mean you can eat as much. You probably knew that already but just reminder because I did that and...it was a waste of energy basically.

Cut down chips and those oily, fattening stuff. Drink water everyday at least 1 liter.

You can do it! uvu
pandagilbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #8
Slapthefatcat
The man with the guns.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned strength training. Strength training helps to tone and to help lose weight. Many researchers state that it also increases calories burned after for hours, but that is debatable.
The main thing for any exercise is to do what you enjoy.
For weight loss, the battle is 70% nutrition, 30% exercise.
And drink LOTS of water (you will pee a lot, just a heads up). Look in the nutrition guides sticky for Kasinator's guide. It's great and will cover pretty much everything you need to know.
Zoro - One Piece (Eventually)
Ippo - Hajime no Ippo (Eventually)
Kaito Yashio -Robotics; Notes (Otakon 2013, Completed)
Free - Soul Eater (Otakon 2013, Completed)
Gai - Guilty Crown (Katsucon 2014, Completed)
Shu Ouma - Guilty Crown (Katsucon 2014, Dropped)
Slapthefatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 10:35 PM   #9
Konflikt

If you're planning on running for weight loss and doing it often, be prepared for joint pains and shin splints. I'd go for swimming, if not strength training like the above poster said.

rndmguy hits good points, it's mainly about diet when it comes to weight loss.
Konflikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 11:48 PM   #10
Genro

Hi there!

I am a frequent runner (3-4 times a week, usually 6-12 mile runs, with a few days of intense cardio). If you want to lose 20 lbs in 2 months, it's not necessarily unhealthy. Also, as per calorie consumption, rndmguy is perfectly right. Calories burnt > Calories consumed = Weight loss!

However, as a frequent runner, I would recommend including some carbs into your diet, but good carbs. Things like Apples and some Potatoes can help your running go a long way. Whole grains are wonderful for this, too. Y'know, the whole "healthy eating" thing (I hate it, by the way.) It's hard to remember to get all my fruits and veggies.

However, while it is about diet for pure weight loss, what do you want your body to look like? Exercise tones muscles, so people who are super skinny (like less than 100 lbs) can still have pockets of jiggly-ness and be dissatisfied with their bodies due to a lack of toning their muscles. All-around exercise plus proper diet is a great way to do that, and I highly recommend running.
So, for a good regimen, why not have 3 days a week where you jog for a decent amount and 2 days a week of high-intensity cardio (like DDR)? These items, also with some light strength training can be great. Like, some weight lifting, crunches, and then a jog can be wonderful. I have currently lost 20 lbs in my regimen and am pretty happy with it.
Genro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #11
nikkiolie

As people mentioned lifting weights is a great way to lose some weight and you wont get big and bulky. As a woman you can't without taking testosterone and dedicating your life to diet and lifting. But if you just want to run I find the best way to burn the most calories is to do HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) which is basically a fancy way of saying jog for x amount of time and sprint for x amount. For example I usually jog and at every 5 minute mark I sprint for a minute. On a treadmill its usually jogging at a 6.5 and sprinting at a 8.5 but as my endurance goes up I need to adjust those speeds. If you aren't able to jog and sprint just set the treadmill so that your normal pace it will be difficult to hold a conversation (not impossible but can be hard) and for your "sprint" you should not be able to hold a conversation at all.

Another good way to burn a lot of calories is to bump the treadmill up to the max incline and just walk. I sweat like no other and sometimes I find it even harder to do that than it is for me to jog/run pretty hard in 30 minutes.

Also make sure you give your body a rest, if you are just starting out maybe just jog for 3 days and work your way up from there. Also I suggest you set easy to achieve goals to start out with, that way it will make it easier and motivate yourself to keep going. Nothing worse than not achieving your goal at a set time. Its also best to set goals that aren't related to weight loss. One of my goals was to run a mile in 8 minutes. I was able to do that now my next goal is to run a mile in 7:30 minutes.

Next cons:
Sakuracon '14
Kumoricon '14
Newcon '14
nikkiolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 12:02 PM   #12
ashainoki

Wow, thank you everybody for all these suggestions. Very helpful. I think I will stick with what I did yesterday (which I think will work for me) where I did five minutes of jogging on no incline and then walking on high incline for five minutes, alternating until I have burned 500 calories. Does that sound like a good regimen to you? All in all I jogged/walked for about 50 minutes yesterday with lots of a breaks; speaking of which, is it bad to take too many breaks during a workout, I would pause for maybe five minutes or so every ten minutes after I had jogged and walked, would that affect weight loss at all? As for weight lifting, I don't really have any sort of equipment for that, are there any other sort of exercises I can to instead?
Unread 03-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #13
Suuki
Sakura Chan

How does it harm your health? O.o
I am 118 pounds. When I weighed a little more, I lost 6 pounds in 7 days by eating less alone.
It probably has to do with my immune system though. :/

Good luck, though! (x
Anime Expo 2014
Sukoshi Con 2014
Pokecon 2014

Cosplays
Naruto Uzumaki (Shippuden/Konoha High)
Naruko - Fem!Naru (Shippuden/Konoha High/Maid)
Sakura Haruno (Shippuden)
Hinata Hyuga (Shippuden)
Karin Uzumaki (Shippuden)
Sakura Kasugano (Street Fighter)

Progress: Kyle Brofloski (South Park), Misa Amane (Death Note), Karin Anbu (Naruto- Original Design), Saria (Legend of Zelda)
Suuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #14
Arti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suuki View Post
How does it harm your health? O.o
I am 118 pounds. When I weighed a little more, I lost 6 pounds in 7 days by eating less alone.
It probably has to do with my immune system though. :/

Good luck, though! (x
The problem with haphazard calorie cutting is that weight loss is in the form of more muscle than it is fat. When you cut calories too much, you lack the sufficient protein needed for growth and repair. In addition, doing this for a chronic period causes your body to adapt to that situation, and eventually progress stalls.

Ideally, the goal is fat loss rather than weight loss, while being able to maintain or progress with their physical performance to ensure that the weight lost isn't mostly muscle.
Arti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 01:29 PM   #15
nikkiolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashainoki View Post
Wow, thank you everybody for all these suggestions. Very helpful. I think I will stick with what I did yesterday (which I think will work for me) where I did five minutes of jogging on no incline and then walking on high incline for five minutes, alternating until I have burned 500 calories. Does that sound like a good regimen to you? All in all I jogged/walked for about 50 minutes yesterday with lots of a breaks; speaking of which, is it bad to take too many breaks during a workout, I would pause for maybe five minutes or so every ten minutes after I had jogged and walked, would that affect weight loss at all? As for weight lifting, I don't really have any sort of equipment for that, are there any other sort of exercises I can to instead?
That sounds like a great workout. Breaks are not bad, especially when you are first starting out. It would be better to not break but you have to do what you have to do. After two weeks or so you will find that you need to take less breaks, then no breaks at all.

And for weight training there is a lot you can do without weights, push ups, squats, lunges. There is even a lot you can do with stuff around the house. You can use a gallon of milk or water as a weight and do curls, if it is too heavy just get rid of some of the liquid.

Next cons:
Sakuracon '14
Kumoricon '14
Newcon '14
nikkiolie is offline   Reply With Quote