Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 03-19-2013, 06:28 PM   #1
ladymcbutter

Miku Wig help

I've had my Miku wig for a little under two years now. It has always been sort of a wreck, considering it was my first wig and I was so excited about it. As soon as it was out of the box I was playing with the pigtails, and they were being dragged across the floor, getting brushed up against people and tables, etc. They started to get full of static and small tangles, and I started to panic and tried brushing it. Not doing my research, I brushed it from top to bottom, instead of bottom to top, making it worse. After a while, I decided not to fight with it to make it any worse and gave up on it. When I found out how to brush it properly, it was pretty manageable and I was happy with it. In May of 2012, I went to my first full-weekend con, wearing the wig all three days, and after that it was a complete disaster. Since then, I've tried everything the internet recommends; detangler, soaking it in fabric softener, brushing conditioner through it, lotion. They only help a little, no matter how many hours I work on just a one-inch wide strip of hair. I was wondering if anyone could recommend something that may save my wig, aside from buying a new one. If that is the case, are there any actions I can take to make sure my new wig doesn't get as tangled and will last me longer?
ladymcbutter is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

Sadly, I think you're better off with a new one. From what other people have said, you need to treat the wig with detangler first, then store it properly. If you have long wig fibers, keep them loosely braided when not in use/storage. Keep a wide-toothed wig comb with you at cons, and carefully comb the wig through out the day to keep it tangle-free.
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 09:02 AM   #3
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

It honestly sound like a rats nest at this point. You can try to detangle it again with pure silicone spray.

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=185958

You also most likely after detangling all the hair will need to straighten the wig again.

What the fiber type for the wig you bought (Heat Resistant or Non Heat resistant)?

FanEXPO
Wearing random Arda Wigs.
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Unplugged Expo
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North, (maybe) Otakuthon, FanEXPO '15
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup revies!

Win a Ticket to FanExpo!
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
Oniigiri_Basket
Fangirl Extraordinaire

If you decide to go with a different wig, Epic Cosplay is a great choice because their wigs don't tangle very easily.

MCM London Comic Expo cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Nagisa Momoe (Madoka Magica)

ALA cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Snow White (Zombie Panic in Wonderland)

2015 conventions: Anime Los Angeles, Anime Central, Japan Expo
Oniigiri_Basket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
ladymcbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani_BEE View Post
It honestly sound like a rats nest at this point. You can try to detangle it again with pure silicone spray.

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=185958

You also most likely after detangling all the hair will need to straighten the wig again.

What the fiber type for the wig you bought (Heat Resistant or Non Heat resistant)?
It's heat resistant kanekalon fiber. I'll definitely try this, if not then I'll just resort to a new wig. Thank you for the advice.
ladymcbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 10:40 PM   #6
novaraven1

Kankelon fiber is not heat resistant. You probably don't want to try using a regular hair straightener on it or it will fry. Kankelon should only be heated with hot water at a lower temp.

tip: all synthetic wigs are essentially plastic, some melt at diff temps than others. all heated plastic needs to stay in the shape you want it to be while it cools for it to work.

my suggestion is the same as others. buy an epic cosplay wig since they don't tangle as badly as other wigs will. They are made of hiperlon heat resistant fiber and you can use normal heat styling tools on them if you need to. A better quality wig is worth the money if you plan to rewear many times, especially in a long wig. (Epic actually has a spring sale on right now too)