Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 03-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
Phazongrey

Question Heat setting lycra spandex???

Please help!!! I'm sorry if this is already a forum and I missed it, but I was just hoping somebody could help me.

I plan on cosplaying the Other M Zero Suit version of Samus at MetroCon this year, and my suit is composed of lycra spandex.

It would be awesome if a type of paint could be suggested. I've heard a lot of paint types, but it's hard to find one that has all the colors I need, but I know it'll require heat setting, and I've heard you can easily melt the suit if you do this wrong. So can anybody tell me how to do it properly so I don't destroy my entire suit?

Also, how long do you wait after painting the suit before you heat set it? And the suit has blue lines going everywhere, and then pink symbols which have white, black, and lighter pink paint in them. Could I paint the entire suit (giving the symbols time to dry in between, as the white, black, and lighter pink kinda overlap) and then heat set it, or would that turn out tacky or some other issues? I'd rather get it all done at once, but if it would pose any issue I can do it piece by piece.

It'd also be helpful if someone could advise me on what to have the suit on while I paint it. I was wearing the suit the first time my friends painted me (we used acrylic ink at the time, which worked really well, but I wanted a different finish to the color) but I want to paint the suit this time myself to make sure it comes out perfect, and I know you should have it stretched while painting it. Would something like a duct tape mannequin work? And if so, how do you make one?

Any tips and advice are helpful, I need the suit painted by July.

Last edited by Phazongrey : 03-19-2013 at 10:17 PM. Reason: left something out
Phazongrey is offline   Reply With Quote