Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-21-2013, 05:49 AM   #1
AshofRebirth

Swimming in costume... Worth it?

I'm currently making a Vaporeon swimsuit with the intentional of swimming in pools (or at the beach) a few times with it.

Dis cutie patootie:
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/20...17-d5f4nup.png
Mostly the main body, including the tail. The collar will be detachable in case it's hard to swim with. The headpiece is a seperate helmet that I prob won't swim with (or make a new one just for swimming) because I'm using latex for the yellow parts.

So far I'm using 4-way stretch vinyl from Spandex house (it doesn't tell me exact content) and pleather I've been getting from Joanns. Like the home decor vinyl/pleather (I think one of them said "Marine Vinyl/pleather?). White and navy to be exact. Using heavy duty polyester thread for the spikes but regular polyester thread for the swimsuit.

But, I've been wondering.. coming across these articles in particular:
http://scijourner.org/index.php?opti...uits-are-tough
http://www.goodnewsgirlz.com/story/swimsuit-edition
http://www.allaboutwater.org/swimsuits.html

Is it even really worth putting a costume in a pool? Or will all my vinyl be resistant to that? (It IS stretch vinyl, so I'm just worried of the content of the stretchy backing..)

Note - When I swim, I usually swim about maybe 5 times at the most each summer in a pool. from 1 to 3 hours (not non-stop but in and out). When I go to the beach, the most I'll swim in the water straight is about an hour. The rest is chilling in the sun lol

I just don't want my hard work to go down the drain. I don't mind not swimming in it *shrug*. It'd be cool if I could, but won't be the end of the world if not

How do you other guys handle swimming in costumes? I've seen it done before.

I support Loose Cannons Props! And you should too!
AshofRebirth is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-21-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
Penlowe

Marine vinyl is intended for things like boat seats, not wearing. While it's not impossible to make wearable stuff out of it, it many not be very comfortable dry, let alone wet. Your material choices sound great for a con, but not wearing in water for fun and play.
Unread 03-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
AshofRebirth

Well I'm not really wearing it... I guess I should have expanded but I thought it was obvious from my color choices.

Stretch vinyl: Main body
Navy marine vinyl: Just for the spikes down the back
White marine vinyl: Just for the collar

Unread 03-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #4
detenten

Do it! As long as you won't feel terrible that the costume might not last longer than one swimming season.

I'm going to go swimming in my latex lekku and alcohol body paint. Will the cholorine eat away at my precious latex? Of course. But hell, I want to have fun in them and wear them as much as possible.

If you're like me, you end up wearing a costume 2, maybe 3 times at most anyway, before you get interested in making a whole new costume. So you might as well wear them into the ground!!!
detenten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 06:49 PM   #5
LKD
Is a princess!!

I've gone swimming in salt water pools and chlorine pools and nothing has ever faded or died afterwards. I have a habit of jumping into pools in costume xD

My Zelda < the velvet kinda became crushed and gross but that might have been from having it squished in a bag forgotten -3- didnt matter since I wasn't going to wear it again

But yeah I've swam in a ton of different materials and that was the worst of the damage. Even with dyed silk, nothing happened to it.

Latex should be fine considering that's what mermaid tails are made from?

Fabric is more durable than it looks. Especially if its polyester
Unread 03-21-2013, 10:51 PM   #6
AshofRebirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by detenten View Post
Do it! As long as you won't feel terrible that the costume might not last longer than one swimming season.

I'm going to go swimming in my latex lekku and alcohol body paint. Will the cholorine eat away at my precious latex? Of course. But hell, I want to have fun in them and wear them as much as possible.

If you're like me, you end up wearing a costume 2, maybe 3 times at most anyway, before you get interested in making a whole new costume. So you might as well wear them into the ground!!!
Uhhhh that's exactly what I want NOT to happen!

LKD: Hmmm okay I'll give it a go or two. If it's really that bad, I'll just use it for land purposes haha

Unread 03-22-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
MedievalGirl

I'd think what you do afterwards will determine a great deal of your costume's survival. Rinse it in plain water to remove any chlorine, salt, lake algae or sweat. Let it air dry throughly! Do not let it sit wet in a warm place or you'll have a science fair project.
MedievalGirl is offline   Reply With Quote