Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 03-13-2004, 09:09 AM   #1
alucard80

what makup tools ?

Hi in maybe 1 or 2 months i want to cosplay an easy jrock person. I am thinking to cosplay kyo but i need too know what are the tool i need and what kind of white ponder or something i need cuz i am a black person but not so black. My skin is kinda like maybe you know Jay Z. So i may need a different makups and i dont have a lot of money do you think for 10 to 20 $ or even less expenser I can get the make up tools i need ?? But for a costum i may go to the used cloths store.
alucard80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-13-2004, 12:35 PM   #2
mikazuki
三日月

Uh.... maybe. But since you're black why in the world are you going to attempt to make your skin white? Its like a white person doing a "black face" from the early 20th century. You don't need the white face... you'll look silly if you attempt to do the pale "death" look. Instead you should focus on the eyes and lips, you can get lipliners and eyeliners for a couple of bucks and eyelashes for around $5. I have never seen a black person in movies attempt to look white unless their skin was so pale they could easily pass as white, so don't try it.
mikazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2004, 12:47 PM   #3
Umi
Bass-inating

if you mean white makeup like like this I did it by using white foundation which made my skin a little paler from my natural beige and then applied several coats of loose powder to get it white looking.

My suggestion since you're trying to dramatically change the color of your skin. Use the white grease makeup available at costume stores and then cover it with some translucent or white powder so it sets the makeup in place and keeps it from rubbing off on clothing. Grease makeup tends to run or melt after you wear it for a while so keep the powder with you while you wear it and reapply as needed to prevent that from happening.
Umi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2004, 01:35 PM   #4
Tiirz
Clothier of the Undead

Actually, Eddie Murphy has been made up as white in at least one of his movies and it worked well, but he had pro makeup artists. I believe I've also seem someone on this site who is normally dark skinned do Morpheus from Sandman...

http://home.comcast.net/~tiirz/Neko_Bish_2.jpg
Tiirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2004, 02:25 PM   #5
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

That was probably my husband. We used Kryolan water-based body paints, and got good coverage. Could have been a bit better as we were rushed and I didn't have time to properly clean his face before painting, but it turned out okay. ^_^

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

www.costumecon32.com

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2004, 02:38 PM   #6
mikazuki
三日月

Ah but the thing is the person above wants CHEAP makeup (under $20 for all the makeup s/he needs). Its not going to happen and will look horrible if an attempt is made with cheap (dollar) makeup. Personally I have had the worst luck when it came to buying cheap white makeup and will never waste money buying cheap theatrical makeup. If you're going to do it, do it right.
Unread 03-13-2004, 06:15 PM   #7
alucard80

so i willl just need lip liner, fake eyelashes ?, but i think i may need a wig cuz my hair is really short short like 2 mm but if i dont put some white pounder and want to cosplay kyo i dont know if it will still be nice or look like him the white make you look like a clown are somebody seek or vampire but if i live my skin like this it will look to normal so i need to put something to make my skin clearer are white as snow
Unread 03-13-2004, 08:30 PM   #8
mikazuki
三日月

Here's the thing. For what you want to do its going to cost WAY more then $20. Good quality makeup... especially if you want that death look, costs no less then $5 for a container of foundation.

http://www.bennye.com/
Unread 03-15-2004, 09:27 PM   #9
alucard80

i am not sure but is it kinda rasism or something if i put my face in white just to look like a character ? cuz i hope poeple in cosplay dont gonna think that i am a wanna be white or somebody who want to do like michael jakson ?
i heard i may be able to not put my face wh ite but to make it morre clearer than usual
Unread 03-15-2004, 10:08 PM   #10
mikazuki
三日月

I don't think its really racist but it does look awkward if not done properly with quality makeup. I would rather see you cosplay a character with your normal skin ton.

Let's look at vampires as a case in point. You don't see one black vampire looking all whitish now do you. Instead their face seems to have a golden glow to it (see Blade as an example). You can get that luminescent look with bronzing lotions or makeups.

JRockers...depending on the artist may not have a "Gothic" look to them. It really does depend on the genre of the music they play. Do you have an idea on whom you'd like to dress similar to?
Unread 03-16-2004, 07:51 PM   #11
alucard80

kyo from dir en grey
Unread 03-16-2004, 10:18 PM   #12
Kawaii Elric
Insert cool sentence here

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard80
kyo from dir en grey
One question, Which Kyo are you doing? Like which Era? For example, I'm cosplaying as Kyo from Gauze Era.
Kawaii Elric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2004, 04:08 PM   #13
alucard80

from macabre or vulgar
Unread 03-17-2004, 04:09 PM   #14
alucard80

ir u may try mana by fallowing the mana tutorial or i will do my personnal charater how much is hair glue ?
Unread 03-19-2004, 11:08 AM   #15
alucard80

now i am sure of who i'm gonna cosplay Die from vulgar in the obscure clips i think i got some similar clotings baggy black pan black boot, and a black shirt but i may do a reverse version of him cuz i am black so i will just put some lighten my face a little bit i am looking for pics of him what will i need. My hair is reall shor so i will put some black red spray and perm. how much is hair glue ?