Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 03-21-2013, 11:48 PM   #1
sinesapientia

Never lose any weight!

Hello, I have a motivation problem when it comes to weight loss because I've never actually lost any weight. It's very confusing to me. I once got down to 900 calories a day (which I'm sure of because I was eating pre-portion controlled foods) and still, no weight loss (and my normal intake is probably 1500-2000). Another time I went from my about half hour of yoga a day to half hour of yoga a day plus an hour of aerobic exercise every other day for two months...and still nothing. Not even a pound beyond my normal fluctuations.

I am on antidepresants and birth control, which I hear can make you gain weight, but I don't think they should keep me from losing weight. I'm not overweight in terms of bmi, but I'm pushing it so I'd really like to be able to lose weight for health reasons too because I'm young now and I want to have a little cushion when my metabolism crashes later!

Anyone have any ideas? When I've talked to my doctor he has been very dismissive and just told me that as long as I stay within the bmi I should not worry about it at all.
sinesapientia is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-22-2013, 12:00 AM   #2
epicserendipity
Love the wind in my hair

I can empathize with you.
Just a small bit of advice you don't have to take, but I've heard this from my mom and other female family members a lot. Talk to your doctor about your thyroid. A hypoactive thyroid can cause you to gain weight, or not lose it. ((I need to talk to a doc about my own since I bust my butt and hardly lose anything despite riding a minimum of 50 miles a week on the bike, and working with weights 3 days a week.)) A low thyroid can actually cause symptoms that mirror depression as well. It's something a medical professional can take a clean look at and advise you from there. It's a very delicate part of your body that controls everything, so definitely see your doctor about it and don't mess with it yourself. It requires a blood sample, though, so be prepared for needles.

Future Cons: Anime Expo 2014 (L.A)

FINISHED PROJECTS:

100%: Yosuke Hanamura (Many outfits) (Persona 4)
Current Projects:
Junpei Iori (Persona 3 --with my friends.)

Kaoru Kamiya - Kendo uniform (Rurouni Kenshin -anime)
My Youtube Channel (I sing and stuff here.)
BTVA voice acting profile

Last edited by epicserendipity : 03-22-2013 at 12:05 AM.
epicserendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 12:37 AM   #3
sexytime10
See you next week

Weight can often be ... deceptive.
I'm trying to gain muscle weight, and I've been at it for a while too. There are some days where I'll have gained a few pounds, and other days where I've lost some. I'm pretty sure a lot of it has to do with proper macro-nutrient intake and sodium intake. If I'm eating too much sodium that day I'm going to notice a lot more unreliable water weight.

Eh, the moral is--you're pretty much doing everything right. Keep dedicated to your program and instead of judging after two months, do it for half a year and see your actual scale results. Fat loss and muscle development is a very slow process. The thyroid idea might be good too, but just keep at it brah!
sexytime10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 02:19 AM   #4
Slapthefatcat
The man with the guns.

I've heard several theories upon why someone can do what seems to be all the right things and not lose weight. These theories include: not enough calories, too many calories, not enough work, not enough water, lack of strength training, too much water, thyroid problems, or even simply that your body is happy at it's current weight so it's harder to get it to move from there.
Zoro - One Piece (Eventually)
Ippo - Hajime no Ippo (Eventually)
Hody - One Piece (Eventually)
Free - Soul Eater (Otakon 2013, Completed)
Goku - Dragon Ball Z (Otakon 2014, Completed)

My Facebook cosplay group - Southern Maryland Cosplay (Anyone can join)
Slapthefatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 03:27 AM   #5
xKiYoMiNaTiONx

I have almost the same problems as OP. I've been 188lbs for almost 2 years, and I've tried various methods to lose weight. I've tried portion control, walking regularly, eat more veggies and fruits, take vitamins, etc... At one point, I had stopped taking in soda for one month. I still hadn't lost any weight at all. Sometimes it does fluctuate to 186, but than it jumps right up the next week T_T...

What am I doing wrong?? OTL
Unread 03-27-2013, 08:00 AM   #6
Arbite
Shut up and move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xKiYoMiNaTiONx View Post
I have almost the same problems as OP. I've been 188lbs for almost 2 years, and I've tried various methods to lose weight. I've tried portion control, walking regularly, eat more veggies and fruits, take vitamins, etc... At one point, I had stopped taking in soda for one month. I still hadn't lost any weight at all. Sometimes it does fluctuate to 186, but than it jumps right up the next week T_T...

Count your calories. Odds are youre not actually eating any less.
Arbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #7
ChicoChan
Pimp Named Slickback

Quote:
Originally Posted by xKiYoMiNaTiONx View Post

How active are you? Many times to lose weight you need to actually eat more (good) calories in conjunction with lots of exercise. Cut out all sodas, sugary coffee, and excess pasta and bread. Try waking up and eating eggs and lean chicken breasts instead of coffee, pastries, and cereal. Also try to get outside and walk for just 10-20 minutes a day. That will speed up your body's metabolism. Many misconceptions are that eating less automatically=lose weight, when in reality you body is going "Ahhhh I'm not being fed as much, I need to save all this as fat so that I can stay alive!"

And always remember! You are not a number! Your weight does not control your life! It's all about how healthy you look and feel about your own body.

DON'T PANIC.

Queen Riot! on FacebookDeviantArtCureACParadiseTumblr
ChicoChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 05:58 PM   #8
Indefatigable
a.k.a. Boreotheria

What ChicoChan said. Dropping calories suddenly from your diet can be bad. It sends your body into famine mode, so that calories taken in get stored as fat rather than burned. Barring any health issues that require a certain maximum caloric intake, exercising more is better for your body than eating less.

For me it's just a matter of finding the exercise that's fun. I am bored to death by treadmills, stationary bikes, etc. I adore riding my real bike. At one point I was riding ten kilometres a day five times a week (the work commute) and I was down to about 150 lb (5'4"). That was without making any systematic diet changes. (Disclaimer: I don't drink pop or eat dessert often anyways; but while working in that office I was eating a lot of Thai and Indian buffet lunches. Mmm, greasy. In my defense I was buying a takeout box of buffet food and would eat two or three lunches from it.)

Change your diet if your cholesterol is high, or your blood pressure, or if your blood sugar is weird, or something like that that can be controlled by diet. But don't change it drastically just because of the number of calories. It's way more complicated than that, and it seems that the healthiest metabolisms are the ones that get used. Eat and exercise, rather than not-eat and exercise.
Indefatigable is offline   Reply With Quote