Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 03-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #1
Gabachi

Underwear

So I'm really new to crossplaying (or even cosplaying for that matter) and I have a rather awkward(?) question. What underwear would you wear? Like would wear your gender or the opposite gender.

Because I want to wear a dress and I don't want to get laughed at (I'm quite aware that many, many people crossplay, and the dress, tights, or adorable shoes wouldn't be an adequate source of laughter). Better yet, what do you typically do?
Gabachi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-22-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
Ilafatyu
That guy

I'm not sure how female underwear fits on a male, but when I crossplay, I throw on a pair of boyshorts. Subtle enough that my mom wouldn't freak out if she sees my laundry, but different enough to, you know, be different.

I think that boxers would show up under a dress, so I'd at least take the briefs route.

facebook // dA
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (RWBY) - 3%
Connie (SnK) - 1%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Well, I am mtf, and I go for female underwear. Then again, I do daily anyways. >.> I find female underwear far more comfortable.

In general though, if there is no chance of getting upskirted, then I suppose it doesn't matter. If you HAVE a chance of being upskirted, then that is when you think about it. It's just a costume, but if you are going for pass, I would go panties. Most mtf crossplayers wear bras to hold breastforms and false breasts in place, so I assume I am not the only person who goes with panties.

Just keep in mind, bend at the knees, not at the waist.

Cosplay 1: Sailor Venus (Commissioner failed to make 4 month deadline)
Update: August 10th.... still nothing.

Reality: Recycled or no cosplay at all. Got to love commissioning! Thanks everyone!! Serious thanks to Dulcinea, who actually made the deadline for the accessories far in advance and of outstanding quality. Sucks they won't be used.
Larcenciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
PurePlummet
Registered Ruse

From a cosplay point of view, I'd personally find it harder to get into character if I were wearing underwear with pink bows under a tuxedo or other manly attire, or, in your case, boxers or briefs under a dress.

From a practical point of view, as long as you're not planning on flashing your underwear to anyone, you should wear whatever's comfortable for you. Of course, like Larcenciel said, if there's a chance of an accidental slip, and you're worried about not passing under those kinds of circumstances, I'd go with more feminine underwear or, in a completely different direction, maybe even biker shorts if you want to avoid potential exploitation by perverts altogether. It's important to wear whatever puts you at most ease
PurePlummet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #5
Gabachi

Well, I don't really care too much about passing. I just want to look good, really. If panties would help me get into character, I wouldn't be opposed to them. I think my dress should be close to my knees though. Plus, boxers tend to be loose, and it is real easy for someone to not only look up your skirt, but boxers as well. :c
Unread 03-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
shonen_jidai
Ganbatte minasai!

I would go for the panties just for overall consistency and getting into character. That's what I do for my crossplays. And if someone is depraved enough to want to see what's under my skirt, they'll have something nice to look at! LOL XD
parent's guide
shonen_jidai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #7
Reilala

If you're wearing a dress you should probably wear panties anyway so the looser fabric of boxers or briefs doesn't show through the dress. Not even a matter of being in character; sometimes it's just more practical and will look better when you're moving or the fabric is against you. Character wise you could always go with the character's favorite color; I always wear red for Grell XD
Reilala is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 10:48 PM   #8
ImNewHere
The new guy.

I crossplay and generally always use my normal tighty whities!

I also hit more conventions than most people do, so if you see me say hi. Chances are I'll be selling DVDs in the dealer room.
ImNewHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 01:28 PM   #9
PoodleBoy

Simple for me really. When I wear men's clothing, its men's underwear. When I crossplay in female costumes, female underwear! Just cant get into the entire fun of it if you arent dressed properly from head to toes. Besides, I rarely have to worry about "skimpier" undies because most of my crossplays involve costumes with very full, petticoat-involved dresses. So those usually mean bloomers!
Unread 03-24-2013, 06:23 PM   #10
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

As long as the underwear isn't going to affect the fit or appearance of the layers over it, I wear what I'm used to. In my case, that's girl-undies. It's fine if you enjoy the chance to wear different underthings, but I prefer to wear things I'm familiar with and don't have to fuss about since the rest of the costume is usually kind of a production.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 01:34 AM   #11
Khorrupt

Personally, when I crossplay, I don't bother with what's under my clothes (other than a compression shirt, of course), since unless it's part of your costume, then it really doesn't matter what they look like, as long as they don't make your costume fit oddly.

~2014 Cosplay~
~W.A. Mozart (Mozart l'Opera Rock) - FINISHED
~kigurumi!Silkie (Teen Titans) - FINISHED
~Ryuk (Death Note) - FINISHED
~Elsa (Frozen) - FINISHED
~Elizabethan!TARDIS - FINISHED
~The Winter Soldier - 15% complete
~Princess Peach - 0% complete
Khorrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 05:36 PM   #12
Gabachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
As long as the underwear isn't going to affect the fit or appearance of the layers over it, I wear what I'm used to. In my case, that's girl-undies. It's fine if you enjoy the chance to wear different underthings, but I prefer to wear things I'm familiar with and don't have to fuss about since the rest of the costume is usually kind of a production.
Well, see yeah. I love trying something new. I take every opportunity I'm offered to try something new. I almost want to say that would regret not seizing an opportunity to try it. Nerves would be the main thing holding me back.

I may just try wear some casually for a while to get used to them, because I think that would get me over the biggest hurdle (wearing a dress in public is a new thing as well, obvious, so I'll have to figure out a way over that).
Unread 03-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #13
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Clothes are clothes, haha. Panties and dresses go together. Trust me, try them, and you won't want to go back. Much comfier. Panties tend to be made from softer, nicer material.

As for the dress thing, yeah, once you get out there in public, you will be okay. Still hard having eyes peering at first, but remember, some people are looking at the costumes, not that you are male, especially if you can pass off good enough. Was hard when I first stepped out of my hotel room, but as soon as I did..... I was all over the place.

Cosplay 1: Sailor Venus (Commissioner failed to make 4 month deadline)
Update: August 10th.... still nothing.

Reality: Recycled or no cosplay at all. Got to love commissioning! Thanks everyone!! Serious thanks to Dulcinea, who actually made the deadline for the accessories far in advance and of outstanding quality. Sucks they won't be used.
Larcenciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 08:21 PM   #14
Chryso

I find it helps me get into character too. But it's not a neccesity in my opinion. Do what feels comfortable to you.
Chryso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 09:43 AM   #15
Gabachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larcenciel View Post
Clothes are clothes, haha. Panties and dresses go together. Trust me, try them, and you won't want to go back. Much comfier. Panties tend to be made from softer, nicer material.

As for the dress thing, yeah, once you get out there in public, you will be okay. Still hard having eyes peering at first, but remember, some people are looking at the costumes, not that you are male, especially if you can pass off good enough. Was hard when I first stepped out of my hotel room, but as soon as I did..... I was all over the place.
I feel I know this. I mean, I think it can be incredibly stupid (this is speaking out of the convention setting) that there's a double standard in clothing. Part of the reason I'm crossplaying is because of this. As you say, clothes are clothes. I think far too often we see people judging others based on the clothes they wear and not on the person.

I personally love skirts and dresses. Panties really don't sound like a big deal actually. I think again, it's up to me whether I have the huevos for it, though. I think generally, I worry too much about what others think of me. I sure as hell won't let that stop me, though, because at the end of the day, it won't matter.