Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Dragon*Con

Unread 03-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #1
Neon-Heart417

First Year Goer?

Hi! I'm plannig on going to Dragon*Con for the very first time this year with my Uncle and his family! (As long as school don't get in the way, I should be able to attend) But I had a few questions about the convention, since my Uncle can't tell me much about it, and I'm just clueless in general.

1.) I understand many sci-fi/game/comic cosplayers will be there, but what about anime/manga characters? Like the few cosplays I have are from VOCALOID2, which is mainly of Kagamine Len. If I were to cospay him for Dragon, would many people know who I would be? Or are those genres of cosplaying not too popular there?

2.) Is this a big convention? Some say yes, and others say no. I haven't really been to a HUGE convention before, and it's not that I find it over-whelming, I just can find it tiresome if there's a bunch of people there...

And if there's any tips/pointers you can give me, please do! ;//u//;
Neon-Heart417 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-24-2013, 01:03 PM   #2
nathancarter
See My Etchings.

1. There will be cosplayers from every facet of sci-fi, anime, comics, movies, and all other types of pop culture. Wear a cosplay that makes you happy. Some people will recognize Vocaloid characters, but not everyone.

2. It's a big con (50,000+ people over the weekend), six full city blocks and spilling out into the surrounding areas. Many of the main con areas get extremely crowded during peak times. You can usually avoid the densest areas if you so choose, but sometimes you have to brave the crowds to get to panels or events that you want to attend.

Tips? Plan your schedule very loosely. You can't do everything. Traveling the con areas will take two or three times as long as you expect. Don't forget to eat and drink. It's summer in Atlanta, so it'll be hot.
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
Neon-Heart417

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
1. There will be cosplayers from every facet of sci-fi, anime, comics, movies, and all other types of pop culture. Wear a cosplay that makes you happy. Some people will recognize Vocaloid characters, but not everyone.

2. It's a big con (50,000+ people over the weekend), six full city blocks and spilling out into the surrounding areas. Many of the main con areas get extremely crowded during peak times. You can usually avoid the densest areas if you so choose, but sometimes you have to brave the crowds to get to panels or events that you want to attend.

Tips? Plan your schedule very loosely. You can't do everything. Traveling the con areas will take two or three times as long as you expect. Don't forget to eat and drink. It's summer in Atlanta, so it'll be hot.
Ah, hurray! c: Maybe I will do some VOCALOID stuff there, because from pictures of past years, I mainly just saw sci-fi and games and such, but it's good to hear that all cosplayers are welcome. ;o

Oh goodness...Well, I'll definately have to prepare myself! ;//u//;

Danke, I'll be sure to do so. And hopefully find a way to beat the heat, I spend my summers in AL alot but it does get hot down there.Q~Q
Unread 03-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon-Heart417 View Post
Ah, hurray! c: Maybe I will do some VOCALOID stuff there, because from pictures of past years, I mainly just saw sci-fi and games and such, but it's good to hear that all cosplayers are welcome. ;o

Oh goodness...Well, I'll definately have to prepare myself! ;//u//;

Danke, I'll be sure to do so. And hopefully find a way to beat the heat, I spend my summers in AL alot but it does get hot down there.Q~Q
You'll likely find that the anime/video game stuff is not as popular as it is at anime cons. I mean that you won't get your picture taken as much. People probably won't come up and ask what your costume is, either. I know a lot of anime fans who base how much fun they have on how many pictures are taken of them get rather frustrated with Dragon*Con. If you like good panels and meeting lots of people from a huge variety of fandoms, though, Dragon*Con is your place!
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 08:51 PM   #5
nathancarter
See My Etchings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergeekgirl View Post
You'll likely find that the anime/video game stuff is not as popular as it is at anime cons. I mean that you won't get your picture taken as much. People probably won't come up and ask what your costume is, either. I know a lot of anime fans who base how much fun they have on how many pictures are taken of them get rather frustrated with Dragon*Con. If you like good panels and meeting lots of people from a huge variety of fandoms, though, Dragon*Con is your place!
This is a good point.

There is an entire track for Anime. .. buuuttt, there are also three dozen other entire tracks devoted to all sorts of other fandoms. So, it's very true that anime is a relatively small portion of the con, and not every person you see will be fawning over your choice of cosplay.

But, you don't have to restrict yourself to just one track. Go do some Star Wars stuff, or some British Sci-Fi stuff, or some tabletop gaming stuff for a change.
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 11:11 PM   #6
Soulflare

If you've never been to D*C and neither has anyone else that you're traveling with (to relay to you how the con is), browse the D*C 2012 Flickr pool to get a good idea of how D*C really has just about everything, cosplay-wise.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/dragoncon2012/pool/
Soulflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 12:47 AM   #7
ne0ven0m
Dr. Feelgood

1. If you've attended strictly anime conventions, then it may -appear- as if there's not as much anime related costumes, but that's only because there's so many other genres to compete with. You'll definitely be recognized. Even really obscure costumes are appreciated there, so anything from a well known series/universe isn't gonna be a problem.

2. I think there are only a handful of cons that have a higher attendance number, like SDCC and NYCC. The rate of growth for D*C is crazy too... from 30,000 when I started 5 years ago to 52,000+ now. Pretty sure they'll knock on 60,000 this year or the next.

As for tips, the link to my blog is my sig has lots!

2014 Plans: Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers, Deathstroke, Deadpool/Adventure Time mash-up, TBD

My Blog:http://ne0ven0m.wordpress.com/
ne0ven0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #8
Neon-Heart417

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
This is a good point.

There is an entire track for Anime. .. buuuttt, there are also three dozen other entire tracks devoted to all sorts of other fandoms. So, it's very true that anime is a relatively small portion of the con, and not every person you see will be fawning over your choice of cosplay.

But, you don't have to restrict yourself to just one track. Go do some Star Wars stuff, or some British Sci-Fi stuff, or some tabletop gaming stuff for a change.
Ah, I've peeked a little on the 2013 site, and seen some of the venues and guest stars and such, and that helps me predict more of the other more popular genres that will be there. I don't mind not being noticed, I just like being able to cosplay in general. c:
Unread 03-26-2013, 06:35 PM   #9
Neon-Heart417

Quote:
Originally Posted by ne0ven0m View Post
1. If you've attended strictly anime conventions, then it may -appear- as if there's not as much anime related costumes, but that's only because there's so many other genres to compete with. You'll definitely be recognized. Even really obscure costumes are appreciated there, so anything from a well known series/universe isn't gonna be a problem.

2. I think there are only a handful of cons that have a higher attendance number, like SDCC and NYCC. The rate of growth for D*C is crazy too... from 30,000 when I started 5 years ago to 52,000+ now. Pretty sure they'll knock on 60,000 this year or the next.

As for tips, the link to my blog is my sig has lots!
So far, I think all my conventions have been for anime...I'm pretty sure at least...? @~@ But that's understandable,after all, my Uncle warned me it was more Sci-Fi than anime/manga.

Ohmygoodness. //OTLLL; The most populated convention I've EVER too, has only had like, 600 people...
Unread 03-26-2013, 10:47 PM   #10
TheFontBandit
Trial-&-Error Champion

Before I went to D*C, the largest con I attended had maybe a couple thousand attendees. It's definitely a bit of a culture-shock going to such a big con for the first time, but everything is extremely well-organized so it doesn't really feel that huge most of the time. For example, the anime track events tend to stay in one area (I think it's usually the Hyatt), while the Star Trek events all tend to stay over at the Sheraton. Whedonverse stuff and Steampunk are all grouped at the Westin. It really feels like a handful of mid-sized cons all happening at the same time.

If you have one or two main areas of interest, you'll find you tend to stick to the same areas. Your costume is more likely to be recognized if it fits in with the track you're spending time in. Vocaloid cosplays are popular enough that I'm sure you'll get recognized (even one that isn't Miku ). D*C is one of the few cons I attend where it seems like there are actually more people in cosplay than there are in street clothes!

Some of the main areas can get really crowded (plan a lot of extra time if you need to go through the Marriott on Saturday), but like nathancarter said, you can also avoid a lot of the crowds depending on where you hang out during those peak times.

Also, a random tip regarding the crowding issue: If you're staying in one of the central hotels (particularly the Hyatt or the Marriott), plan an extra 15 minutes for elevators down to the lobby. Sometimes you'll get lucky and get an elevator quickly, but sometimes it'll take a while.

That being said, D*C is a blast, and it's pretty much the highlight of my year. Even though I'm not always good with crowds, I always have an amazing time and I make new friends every year.

Dragon*Con 2013:
Joyleaf - Elfquest || Belial/Mad Hatter - Angel Sanctuary
Surprise Hulk Variant - Marvel Comics || Black Widow - Hawkeye #9 || Mary Jane Watson - J. Scott Campbell version
Maevaris Tilani - Dragon Age Comics || Sugar Rush Racer Sticky Wipplesnit - Wreck-It Ralph

Last edited by TheFontBandit : 03-26-2013 at 10:50 PM.
TheFontBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 02:14 PM   #11
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulflare View Post
If you've never been to D*C and neither has anyone else that you're traveling with (to relay to you how the con is), browse the D*C 2012 Flickr pool to get a good idea of how D*C really has just about everything, cosplay-wise.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/dragoncon2012/pool/
Your avatar is a really good example.
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 07:35 AM   #12
Markedman247
Cosplay conundrum

As a first time goer, I look forward to it.... Provided I can find floor space at a main hotel. I've gone to the livejournal site but it looks daunting trying to find a place to crash. I'm late booking hotels and all my fiends that are going have their rooms booked to the gills. This never happens as I usually book quickly and relax but personal issues caused my dilemma.

Any help would be appreciated in avenues to secure room space.

-MM247
Markedman247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #13
DiscoLemonade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markedman247 View Post
As a first time goer, I look forward to it.... Provided I can find floor space at a main hotel. I've gone to the livejournal site but it looks daunting trying to find a place to crash. I'm late booking hotels and all my fiends that are going have their rooms booked to the gills. This never happens as I usually book quickly and relax but personal issues caused my dilemma.

Any help would be appreciated in avenues to secure room space.
The LJ is probably your best bet. Dragonforums.org has a roomshare thread as well though that forum has less traffic. The LJ is daunting to use, but it is very well organized and is very likely to get you results. What I did last year was read through all the most current posts (I was on the opposite end, trying to find people to stay in my room, but same basic process), and kept a running list of everyone I thought would be a good match. Then I sent them all an e-mail explaining a little bit about myself and what I was looking for in a roomshare situation. Some people never responded, but some did, and I got some dialogue going.

My two pieces of advice would be always have a backup plan (hold on to the contact info of multiple people you were in contact with, people might have last minute changes as well), and don't be discouraged if you don't find something until the week of the con. I had zero leads last year until about two days before, and by Friday I had filled my room.

Cogsworth in Transition (Beauty and the Beast)
Spice (Batman Forever)
DiscoLemonade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #14
Markedman247
Cosplay conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoLemonade View Post
The LJ is probably your best bet. Dragonforums.org has a roomshare thread as well though that forum has less traffic. The LJ is daunting to use, but it is very well organized and is very likely to get you results. What I did last year was read through all the most current posts (I was on the opposite end, trying to find people to stay in my room, but same basic process), and kept a running list of everyone I thought would be a good match. Then I sent them all an e-mail explaining a little bit about myself and what I was looking for in a roomshare situation. Some people never responded, but some did, and I got some dialogue going.

My two pieces of advice would be always have a backup plan (hold on to the contact info of multiple people you were in contact with, people might have last minute changes as well), and don't be discouraged if you don't find something until the week of the con. I had zero leads last year until about two days before, and by Friday I had filled my room.

Thanks for the tips. I keep selfishly hoping a friend of mine has a room opening. I'd like to have my two costumes done and those be my only issues.
Unread 06-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #15
Markedman247
Cosplay conundrum

Good news is I have a hotel about 1 block from the MARTA and 2 stops from the con proper. I wish it was closer but I have until Aug 28 to cancel if one opens closer.

WOOT!