Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games

Unread 11-15-2002, 08:56 AM   #1
smellme37
AKA Biscuit

Auron Costume

Im about to start the process of making my first cosplay costume, but before I start and get too frustrated, and nearly kill everyone in the house, I was wondering if anone had any tips for making an Auron costume or a costume in general. I've got most of it planned out, but my main concern is the "shoulder pad"(for lack of a better name) and the sword. I want to try and keep them looking as authentic as I can. Any help with this would be great. Thanx in advance

Unread 11-15-2002, 09:03 AM   #2
psythe

Any picture references? Would help out anyone who might be able to offer information.

Welcome to the boards! ^^;
psythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2002, 10:33 AM   #3
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Well.. I would say that that could be a very tough first costume, as it's very detailed and involves a fair amount of leather and hardware, but since nobody ever seems to listen to me when I say that, let's plunge ahead. The shoulder piece on Auron's coat appears to be leather. If you don't have the time or setup to make shaped leather pieces (which I imagine would involve getting it wet, working it into the correct shape over a mold of some kind and letting it dry), then you will probably want to look into some other, more easily molded medium, such as a heavy papier or fabric mache - which would also be easier to trim around the edges to the correct shape, and can be built up to something quite solid looking with layers of paper compound/lacquer/etc.

I don't have any experience with making weapons, but I know that another thread posted a link to an excellent "how I made this Tessiaga" page, and I apologize for forgetting whose it was.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2002, 10:37 AM   #4
psythe

http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread...&threadid=2717

Melchior's tutorial?
psythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2002, 10:43 AM   #5
HuongStar

Whatever you do, please don't use satin. Auron doesn't really seem like the poncy type to use such an ornate fabric.

When I created my boyfriend's Auron costume, we used a basic men's robe pattern and modified the sleeves to flare out more. We added belt loops and created the "belt obi" without a pattern. The pants were made from a basic men's dress slacks pattern and the shell was created without a pattern. In hindsight, I wish I would have used a pattern to create a more fitted look but we were rushed for time.

We did make the shoulder piece out of leather but that was all my bf's work. The Kotobukiya figure was a godsend because it provided a detailed 3-D reference so I suggest you acquire one of those if you're looking to create an accurate Auron. We still have a lot of work on ours; when it debuted at Otakon, it was approximately 65% done. ::sweatdrop::
Unread 11-15-2002, 11:35 AM   #6
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Quote:
Originally posted by HuongStar
Whatever you do, please don't use satin. Auron doesn't really seem like the poncy type to use such an ornate fabric.
That, and it clearly isn't shiny onscreen. A medium-weight blend would work fine - nothing so heavy that the free sleeve won't drape right, but not so light that there's no body to it, either. And line it, both because the inside will show and because it will help it ride smoothly over whatever you're wearing underneath.

I'm using a heavyweight leather for the shirt and the shoulder piece. Luckily I have the help of an armor-minded friend for that; we'll be molding it, I gather, somehow. The shirt, for lack of a better term, buckles down the right side where it won't show. I'm more at a loss for what I can use for the gold trim - it's tough to find a good paint for use on leather.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Unread 11-23-2002, 11:00 PM   #7
Auron
derailed lunatic

i did auron 4 otakon 2002 you can see my gallery 4 some pics
Auron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2002, 04:30 AM   #8
Dark Vision
Dark Mousy

all in all keep in mind creativity. Things can be subsituted to make it look as good or better. Fot my tidus costume.... I was like...umm lets pound out some metal and see what i can get. I used plastic for arm guard and used upolestry for things that looked leather. It wasn't a perfect costume but it was different and did allow me to stand out.... and nobody bashed on me except for my over critical friends.

A little note for handling over critical friends..... just say "Well then you try to do it then"

Oo and a sword.... do want an edge , do want lightweight or stability or strength. I personally go with wood with my ultimate sword making tool, a rotaray saw. Keep in mind this tool is hard to use and requires a big set up. But i like wood. I try to give things a sight edge but not a true one or you'll be hating yourself after to accidently hit something after it done and finial.

I dunno what else to say... just post questions....I'll keep and eye on this thread.
Dark Vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2002, 02:04 PM   #9
soshi
onna kaizoku

this one thing popped in my head over Auron cosplayers:

[random thoughts]

for whatever reason, I've seen people (around five or six) make his belt out of light pink and light green satin. *BLINK* not to criticize any of them as I'm sure they're all great and wonderful people, but... I thought his belt was a mixture of stuff, none of which is light pink or light green. the blue part, to me, looks like it should be beaded.

[/random thoughts]

And yes, this means you.
soshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2002, 04:25 PM   #10
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Quote:
Originally posted by soshi
I thought his belt was a mixture of stuff, none of which is light pink or light green. the blue part, to me, looks like it should be beaded.
Interesting.. from the pictures in the artbook, it looks to me more like stamped or embossed leather than anything else. The underlayer is green... but I can't quite see where somebody would get pink from.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Unread 11-24-2002, 08:14 PM   #11
Oshi
Rugged. Like the moon.

...As far as I can see, the belt part would be a dark grey underlayer, with off-white and blue.... dunno.
I'm making Auron too. Yeah, the shoulder thing is one of my main concerns as well... I'm thinking of using flexi-foam or whatever it's called... those sheets of foam... I dunno, it's still in planning ^^;
Oshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2003, 02:05 AM   #12
DarkGunner

I'm with HuongStar on purchasing the actual Auron figure because that really can offer you the most detailed and easiest source of reference more than any screenshot could. Also, when making your sword, if you are going to use wood, be aware of the fact that you are going to be carrying it around all day and Auron's sword isn't exactly small so use a lightweight wood and watch out for people's heads and doorways. :P