Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-10-2013, 10:46 AM   #1
Vanilla_Rose16

Memorable people you have met at conventions

We have all met people at conventions that even if you don't remain connected after the con, you still made a fantastic memory with them. There are even some people you never talked to personally, but they always stay in your mind when you think about the convention 2 months later. Who are these people for you? What kinds of memories have you made with people at conventions?

My personal favorite was at Anime Boston 2012 when me and my 2 other friends were in an autograph line Saturday night. We ended up talking with a Mulan cosplayer for a good 30 minutes before she suddenly left. The reason we always remember this is because a few weeks later, we saw her on the AB website and one of my friends freaked out. It's kind of an inside joke between us now ^^

Another memory was at a smaller con a few months ago where my friend and I ended up making friends with the people who sat next to us at the masquerade. It was a lot of fun but sadly we didn't end up staying in touch after:/ I wish we did. They were really nice and fun to hang out with

So yup..those are a few of the many memorable people I have met...what about you guys? I would love to hear other stories ^^

2013/2014 Cosplay Plans:
Allen Walker-D.Gray-Man (35% complete)
Misa Amane-Death Note (100% complete)
Cons Attending:
Anime Boston 2014
Another Anime Con 2013

-Stay Gold-
Vanilla_Rose16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
touchmon
Make All The Things!

One of my personal favorites happened at MangaNext 2010. I was in the dealers room and I ended up comissioning my first drawing from one of the girls at a table. It turns out we were both persona fans(it was a comission for an Akihiko drawing) and we chatted a bit and it turned out I was the first person to comission a work. ^_^ Since then I've seen her at ever AnimeNext I've been to and we always talk for a little bit. Sadly, I stink at recognizing people in different cosplays so she usually speaks up first and then I realize it's her.

Another one would be the group of people I met at AnimeNext 2012 persona shoot. It was so much fun and everyone there made it a blast and a bunch of us connected on facebook afterwards. ^_^

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cure~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON

I have a bunch! ;D

1. Kalina

The Sunday Avatar shoot at Otakon 2010 was a little iffy, given that people were confused about times, and we had a slightly odd location. It was short, but fun, and there were a ton of Kyoshi warriors around. My good friend SonicSilliness wound up making friends with one of them in between shots, and I talked to her a little as well. We just became better and better friends as time went on, and now we're even planning on coordinating cosplays and doing shoots!

2. SakuraxTsubasa and LoliLovely

I hope you two see this post because I love you two and you are amazing. <333

It's mid-afternoon Saturday of Otakon, and I've finally (after being stopped 6749201 times) made it to the front lobby. We run and hug each other as soon as we spot each other, and I'm tripping over my ballgown the whole way. After way too much fangirling occurs, we sit down to Sakura's amazing Oreo truffles, and they wind up all chilling under my skirt and blathering on about pet elephants. So much fun. <3

We too have gone on to coordinate future shoots! Gosh making friends is awesome.

3. Inner Mind Theater (CatalystSirene, Courtoonxiii, Chinasaur, Solo-Dono)

This photo basically explains everything.
  • Magic Armor Link (LoZ: Twilight Princess): 15% (Patterning) Katsucon 2015
  • Emperor Lelouch (Code Geass): 2% (Planning) Katsucon 2015
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsCASSiOPEiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #4
dx7879
King of the Pirates!

I can think of about 7 that I have become really close with. Although 3 of those is only really more of people I see at cons and talk to online. They're all good friends and important to me though and their own ways. Since good friendship is so hard to come by sometimes

Youtube Page

Cosplays
Monkey D. Luffy (Film Z Battle Costume) - One Piece (2013)
Grumpy - The Dark Knight (2013)
Monkey D. Luffy (Alabasta) - One Piece (2012)
Monkey D. Luffy (2 Years Later) - One Piece (2012)
Monkey D. Luffy (Strong World) - One Piece (2011)
dx7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #5
Naudae
Azure Angelic Cosplayer

Hmmm...at this past Katsucon, during the Formal Ball, there were two young ladies I had the pleasure of dancing with when I thought I would never get the chance to while cosplaying Prussia from Axis Powers Hetalia..

The first was a beautiful young lady dressed as I assume either fem!Prussia or perhaps it was Panty(Red Dress). I never got the chance to catch her name or character, but I remember they called out to me as Prussia and made a comment about a female Prussia, so I can only assume that's who she was dressed as.

The second was a really nice young lady. I won't say her name as I'm not sure she'd want that, but we had a really nice conversation involving my shyness about making friends and dancing. She was a real pleasure to chat with and really made me feel comfortable and feel less awkward. Again, I wasn't able to get any contact info as I thought it'd be improper to ask such a thing.

If either of them are reading this, just know that I had a truly wonderful time dancing with you both and would love to keep in touch with you somehow. This was the best experience I've had at a con thus far.

Planned Conventions and Outfits

Otakon 2014
Vaporeon Gijinka - Pokemon
Patchouli Knowledge - Touhou Project
Gilber Beilschmidt/Prussia - Axis Powers Hetalia
Naudae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 04:50 PM   #6
Julesie

At MCM London this past October. It was my first time going to this convention and, cosplaying as Canada I was a tad nervous as my friends were doing another series. As I stood at the back alone watching the photoshoot trying my best to hear the names called out, I spotted a fem Canada a few feet away. Usually I am far too shy to approach anyone but for some reason I did. We got talking and stood unable to hear the names called out together but ended up bonding. We both suffered from social anxiety, chose Canada because we didn't have to stick out or be loud and we ended up hanging out for a little bit.

Now we are extremely close friends and although she lives an hour away we visit one another at casual meets and she's slept over at my home. We like many of the same anime series.
We have planned to book a hotel room together for the next MCM in May and I'm glad I managed to approach and talk to her.
Julesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
shmac

At last year's Youmacon, I only had one cosplay, so I wore my Pizza John shirt one of the other days.
When the rest of my group was in our room, I went back to the convention center with my friend's sister so she wouldn't have to be alone. I was outside of the panel waiting for her, when a passing guy saw my shirt and yelled "NERDFIGHTER!" He ran up to me, grabbed me in a hug, and spun me around. A few other nerdfighters noticed us and we all fangirled for a bit, then we all took a picture of us doing the nerdfighter hand sign. Definitely the highlight of my Youmacon.
shmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #8
Khorrupt

1. The Death guy
I don't really know why I remember him, but it was this guy at a little con I went to, and my friend and I talked to him for about half an hour on Friday. The second time we talked to him (just because he was nice), as we were about to leave, we say, "Well, see you tomorrow!" And he says, "No, I won't be here tomorrow" and it was because he couldn't pay for the second day although he wanted to be there, and so my friend's mom paid for him to be there for Saturday and Sunday, and he thanked her like, thirty times. He wasn't "fake" at all, so to speak, and probably one of the nicest guys I've ever met.

2. Prussia
This one Prussia cosplayer that I met at the last convention I was at -- he was just so cute. He was SERIOUSLY knowledgably about anything that really ever happened in history, he spoke fluent German and although he was American, he had probably the most legit German accent I've ever heard. He was also HILARIOUS, and my friends and I still end up talking about him despite the fact that this was a year ago.

3. The Ryoga guy
At this super-small con I went to, my cosplay on Saturday was Ryoga Hibiki, and this was the first time where I've been to SUCH a small con where no one had any idea whatsoever about who I was dressed as, but as I'm walking down a hall with my friend, this one guy jumps in front of me and says "Oh my god! You're Ryoga! What an epic costume!" and after I talked to him for a while, he was completely amazed that I'm as young as I am and I've read Ranma 1/2, he was freaking out over my costume because he's never seen another Ranma 1/2 cosplayer, and it was pretty funny -- the whole aspect, and he was really nice.

4. Kakashi/Luigi/Mario
At yet another tiny con where none of the guests who were supposed to attend showed up at, there was a Kakashi cosplayer and these two Mario and Luigi guys who were doing a panel of sorts, and they were all totally awesome. Kakashi was really funny, and he did some sort of magic trick where he pulled my phone (which was in my pocket) out of his pocket (I still have no idea what he did XD).

~2014 Cosplay~
~W.A. Mozart (Mozart l'Opera Rock) - FINISHED
~kigurumi!Silkie (Teen Titans) - FINISHED
~Ryuk (Death Note) - FINISHED
~Elsa (Frozen) - FINISHED
~Elizabethan!TARDIS - FINISHED
~The Winter Soldier - 15% complete
~Princess Peach - 0% complete
Khorrupt is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 06:39 PM   #9
Kazuto Kirigaya
Hero Of Time

I haven't met any REALLY memorable people yet D: Most people I've talked to are pretty nice and I try to remember them, but it's always been a very short talk and I never see them again. So I end up forgetting (terrible memory). They disappear within the enormous crowds xD

- Aladdin - Magi The Labyrinth of Magic - 20%
- Asuna Yuuki - Sword Art Online - 70%
- Kagami Taiga - 99%
- Rin Okumura - Blue Exorcist - 100%
- Judal - Magi The Labyrinth of Magic - 100%
- Makoto - Free! Iwatobi Swim Club - 10%
- Eren Jaeger - Attack on Titan 100%

Cons:
AM2
Anime Expo 2014
Wondercon
Anime LA
Yaoi con
Kazuto Kirigaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #10
BruisedBlood
Your demon butler

Last year(my first con) I was Jaden Yuki from Yu-Gi-Oh! and I was alone and didn't know anyone since my friends do not cosplay so I am a loner on that one =w=.

It was LATE friday when I went back to the Anime section after walking around and getting stopped for pictures and hugs.(I didn't think I did that good and was suprised)
When this Kiba cosplayer yelled "HEY JADEN" to me and invited me to sit with them. XD She was with an dark magician girl and both were fairly nice to me and I didn't have to be alone and also meet them again on saturday n__n I gave her my facebook but she hasn't added me.
oAttending NYCC? come check out my thread and post there
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.ph...07#post4620307

(\/)
( . .)
c(")(")

*Contact me on skype ID:emorawrtastic :'3
*Contact me on Facebook :3
http://www.facebook.com/#!/hayden.davatilshi

BruisedBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 08:35 PM   #11
Esmenet
Time to change, Changer

My favorite memory was meeting Sean Astin and John Rhys Davies at a sci fi/horror convention in Lousiville. I didn't realize JRD was going to be there so I only bought a signature for Sean Astin. When we met them both for the photo shoot, they both tried to whistle the tune I have tattooed on my chest and spent a lot of time talking to my fiance and I. When I went to get my extended edition of The Fellowship of the Ring signed by Sean, I noticed John sitting at the table next to me and I was so upset that I didn't have a ticket. He signed it for free, and circled his favorite places on the map with smiley faces. It was such an amazing experience.

That same convention I got to meet my favorite author of all time, and she signed my stuffed wolf animal inspired by one of her characters.

Work in Progress:
Rei (genderbend)-Free! [90%]
Momoi Satsuki-KnB [100%]
Nora Valkyrie-RWBY [60%]

Upcoming Cons:
Anime North
Colossalcon
Anime Expo
Gen Con
Dragon*Con
Youmacon
Esmenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #12
pandagilbirds
Is this a pigeon?

It was at AX last year and I was eating some burgers with fries my friends. Group of girls dressing up as almost the entire crew of Kuroshitsuji and one of their mom sits next--behind (northeast) to us. They were so cute I can't even...and basically we complimented each other on the cosplay. We were all muffled screaming for the love of cosplay and yeah. I want to meet y'all again.
pandagilbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 11:57 PM   #13
rajamitsu

There's a few, but two in particular:

Ohayocon was the first big anime con I went to and only my second cosplaying. My husband and I decided to make Ouran jackets and go as Haruhi and Mori. We went to the photoshoot gathering and, when it was over, a Honey came up to us with a set of Cheshire twins, pretty much just grabbed us an announced we were gonna go find Kyouya and Tamaki. We spent the rest of the evening with the group (we never did find the other two). After we dropped Honey off at her hotel, we talked with the twins for a bit... and realized none of us knew her before then. I've kept in touch with both of the twins and we met up with Honey the next year. She couldn't make it this year, tho'.

At Youmacon, hubby and I did Yu and Naoto from Persona 4. We'd just finished eating at the food court and were planning what to do next when an Adachi cosplayer comes up, SLAMS her hand on the table and says "Don't tell anyone I told you this, buuuuut..." I probably jumped a foot in the air, but it made my day.
rajamitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 12:14 AM   #14
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Otakon 2012: Char Aznable came up to me, wanted my picture, said I was the best Cardcaptor Sakura he has seen, then dragged me to get my picture with him and a pedobear. >.>

Anime Boston 2005: A big guy that looked like Santa Clause asked my friend and I about a hentai sequel.

Anime Boston 2006: Man Lulu standing outside of the convention smoking a cigarette. Looked like a token crossdresser prostitute, it was funny as hell.

Anime Boston 2012: Fai D Flourite, I was talking to her on the forums, and ended up meeting her at a CLAMP get together. She was very giggly, and gave me a box of pocky. She rocked.

Cosplay 1: Sailor Venus (Commissioner failed to make 4 month deadline)
Update: August 10th.... still nothing.

Reality: Recycled or no cosplay at all. Got to love commissioning! Thanks everyone!! Serious thanks to Dulcinea, who actually made the deadline for the accessories far in advance and of outstanding quality. Sucks they won't be used.
Larcenciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 01:25 AM   #15
ghosgreen

For me it would be that small group of hetalia cosplayers I met. It was my first time cosplaying and my costume was just utterly bad. My friend knew them but I was still super hesitant. Thinking oh man my costume sucks they look so good. I stood on the side as they took pictures just watching. But then they asked me to join in with them. It felt great that they let me join in with them. Ever since then I always try to say hi and chat with them at the convention.
ghosgreen is offline   Reply With Quote