Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-30-2013, 12:16 AM   #46
Kesra
Smooch a Pheonix Today!

I don't hate on OC cosplays. I really don't. Wear what you want. So long as you're not practicing 'indecent exposure' you're fine by me.

But I am so unbelievably indifferent to them. I'm sure your oc is great. But I don't care. I really, passionately, don't care. If your costume looks awesome, you'll probably get "I dunno what you're cosplaying from but you look awesome." But contrary to what some people I've encountered seem to think, that isn't an invitation to tell me about your OC. I just don't care. The witty and sophisticated backstory will just sound like an adult in a Charlie Brown cartoon. Yeah I'm gonna pretend I just got a text and am needed elsewhere.

But then I get those gems who I'll tell them their costume is awesome and they'll be like "Oh thanks! It's an OC." And then I might stand there and talk to them for like an hour about how they managed to do the detail work on the edge of their cape. They're cool people. Good costumers. I'd hang around them.

At the end of the day though, it's not about the costume, it's about the one wearing it. An asshole cosplaying an OC is no different from an asshole cosplaying fandom.

Remaking Season 3 Azula.

Done/Working On/Pattern/Not started

Pants Tunic Dickie Surcoat Armor Boots Belt Wig
Check out my new facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/kesracosplay
Kesra is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-30-2013, 02:56 AM   #47
Seismogenic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septembre View Post
@Seismogenic - I totally agree with you and support you cosplaying OCs.
Super belatedly, because I only just noticed this comment, thanks, Septembre!

Also, I guess this shows how much of a n00b I am, but I'm actually pretty horrified by all these stories of people giving fifteen-minute explanations of their characters! Holy self importance, Batman! You don't need to get into the depths of personality and backstory just to explain, most basically, what your character is!

Come to think of it, that could be a good rule of thumb for OCs and fandom characters alike - expect that you will meet people who have no idea what your character is, and be able to summarize the character in a sentence or two.
Seismogenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #48
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

You're FULLY welcome at the convention...but Personally, and I say this as a personal taste NOT to be followed as a rule, Mary Sues/closet cosplays don't really belong in a photoshoot to which they're supposed to be based off of.

It is easy to see when/where cosplayers are putting effort and when they're just throwing together something. It is fine to just have fun and cosplay a throw-together made up character but don't whine that you don't get respect from the other con-goers. You want praise, try harder.

Original Designs are cool to see at cons, i like seeing a unique design element or beautiful creativity/craftsmanship. There are wonderful costumers out there, just don't bother telling me your back-story...'cause I seriously don't care.

Last edited by mokulen22 : 03-30-2013 at 12:03 PM.
mokulen22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 01:08 PM   #49
Amanita

I confess- my very first ever con cosplay was a closet job. It helped that I had some interesting things in there- Hakama whatnot. I was able to create a not-too-shabby Samurai look, with a couple of fantasy elements. I didn't bother with a backstory. Just generic samurai.

And at another con, the costume I had ordered for the first day didn't arrive in time, so I had to come up with something in a hurry. I grabbed my black and gold cheongsam, a pair of gold bellydancer's wings, and a brass sunburst crown- instant sun goddess.

Anyone remember the Digimon King? I remember seeing posts referencing him shortly after I joined here- the guy pretty much showed how NOT to be an OC. Ask him what he was, and you would get roped into a very LONG explanation, involving a whole binder's worth of visual aids. Yikes. The poor guy probably would have done better if he had just said "I'm an original Digimon- a combo of these two established Digimon or evolved version of whatever Digimon, and then just directed anyone who did want to know more to his webpage/blog/deviantart page.

In regards to what Mokulen said- in regards to photoshoots, I believe that if you have a derivative character- existing in that fandom's universe yet your own creation, the best thing to do would be to ask whoever is doing the photoshoot. Maybe they will be cool with it, maybe not. Or they might say "We'll do a few shots with everybody, then do some with just the canon characters."
Either way, it would be kind of rude to just horn in and refuse to budge- I remember reading about a guy in a Slave Leia costume (He was wearing it as a joke- hairy, beer bellied, and wearing tacky shorts underneath) crashing a Slave Leia photoshoot. The ladies were okay with him joining in for a couple of shots, but he refused to budge when asked to, so people could take some shots with just the ladies/serious cosplayers. Whether it's an OC or an established character, barging in like that is just plain rude.

The whole issue with "throwing stuff together" is why I encourage OC cosplayers to try and come up with things as cool as the fandom characters we all know and love. Even if you use a variety of Fandom stuff for inspiration, it's all good. I've got a huge collection of character concept art- costume designs I think are cool. I've been known to peruse those for inspiration by times, working elements into a design of my own, changing things up to get something new and interesting.
Really, when you think of it, Steampunk personae are mostly OCs. Just look at the thought, creativity, and effort that they love to use! Also, most of them are pretty good at coming up with a short and quick explanation when you ask them just what they're supposed to be.

Last edited by Amanita : 03-30-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #50
Asa Gohan
Broke College Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
^Oh dear! That sucks, do tell!
This happened quite a few years ago, but at a previous con I had to deal with a grade A,100% con creeper. It got VERY nasty. That con creeper doesn't go to that con anymore but he had a habit of doing OC and partial OC cosplays that were bad enough to facepalm over. They were Mary-sue ish, and it was obvious he rolled out of this smelly closet. The absolute worse kind of OC cosplays. This also happened around the time I started cosplaying myself. Kind of ruined OC cosplays for me.

And then a few years later my best friend and I parted ways. It was a huge blowup between the both of us, and she had already bought her ticket to the con. I saw through the forum and in person her cosplay choice, and it almost made me wish I was still friends with her so I could tell her DON'T DO IT.
She wore a Bleach Shinigami outfit and told people she was a random person from squad four. No makeup, no wig, just a shinigami outfit.
As I predicted, she got absolutely no attention, no pics or anything. Shinigami outfits like that can disappear into a crowd, and I was hoping that her first cosplay would be good experience for her, but she just kind of looked bland. I spent about the same amount of money as she did, and had a full cosplay w/wig and got lots of pics taken of me. She did not cosplay the next year at all.

I echo someone else's comment on here. An OC may look amazing, but I am passionately Neutral. I just don't care

Animegacon 2014
Otakon Vegas 2015

Duo Maxwell
Kenshin Himura
Pinkie Pie

Next Cosplay: Louise Belcher!
Asa Gohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 02:36 AM   #51
Kelley
Devil of Details

I feel like a good deal of the time I'm not going to know what the character is from, anyway - a good costume is a good costume.

A near-random assortment of items pulled from a closet is going to look low quality no matter if the person is trying to look like an established character or not.

"OCs" are a part of fandoms whether people like it or not, well-made or not. If the OC is based on Japanese media it technically fits in more so than a really well-done Harry Potter costume. I think both are fine, of course.

I agree that anyone cosplaying an OC should wait until asked to talk about the nitty-gritty details of their character. When I worked at the Renaissance Festival, they told us it was fine to have a novel full of "back story", but that it's not what anyone wanted to hear about for the most part - it's not what was important 99% of the time. The problem is that conventions are very active spaces and you have a limited time to be there - and people don't really have the time for a random story they don't even know if they'll like. I think a cool idea would be making little business cards to give people your website or something if they want to know more (but, obviously, don't force them on people) - which can go for non-OCs, too. That way people can "find out more" when they have time.

I also agree that OCs don't belong in proper photoshoots - it's okay to ask to have your picture taken with someone, or to arrange something on your own, but it's crashing a party and you'll be the one everyone is head-scratching over in a bad way when they look back on the pictures.

I think it's fine to do your own derivative design - that's showing as much "fan love" as faithful cosplay. It depends on why you're doing it and what you want out of it.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 11:34 AM   #52
Amanita

^Pretty much what Kelley said. I am tempted to write an article on closet cosplay and post it up somewhere, pretty much a list of do's and don'ts. Closet cosplay takes effort to pull off- knowing when to stop, instead of grabbing up more things, and having interesting things in your closet. It might also need to be supplemented by borrowing from (willing!) friends and relatives, or judicious thrift/consignment store shopping. The friend I mentioned earlier was for all her effort, virtually indistinguishable from her everyday style when attempting her own New Republic Jedi. (Frumpy, ill fitting clothes, slopped on in too many mismatched layers)

Asa Gohan, that sucks! What a shame that a con creeping asshat ruined things for you like that! And it's also a shame about your friend- that she ended up being turned off of cosplay, instead of learning to step her game up a little.
Unread 04-02-2013, 12:38 AM   #53
Asa Gohan
Broke College Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
^Pretty much what Kelley said. I am tempted to write an article on closet cosplay and post it up somewhere, pretty much a list of do's and don'ts. Closet cosplay takes effort to pull off- knowing when to stop, instead of grabbing up more things, and having interesting things in your closet. It might also need to be supplemented by borrowing from (willing!) friends and relatives, or judicious thrift/consignment store shopping. The friend I mentioned earlier was for all her effort, virtually indistinguishable from her everyday style when attempting her own New Republic Jedi. (Frumpy, ill fitting clothes, slopped on in too many mismatched layers)

Asa Gohan, that sucks! What a shame that a con creeping asshat ruined things for you like that! And it's also a shame about your friend- that she ended up being turned off of cosplay, instead of learning to step her game up a little.
Yes, a creepy jerk can ruin anything.

yeah, I hope my Ex-friend figures out how to cosplay correctly. It just looked really bad.

Animegacon 2014
Otakon Vegas 2015

Duo Maxwell
Kenshin Himura
Pinkie Pie

Next Cosplay: Louise Belcher!
Asa Gohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 01:01 AM   #54
Akahana Hime
Proud OC Cosplayer

As an OC cosplayer I LOVE to buy school uniforms from the Anime(s) I love watching and when people ask "Who are you?" I say "I'm a student of (Insert name of school here) from (Insert anime here) for example with my vampire Knight costumes I say i'm a "Day/Night class student of Cross Academy from Vampire Knight." I put on a wig as I don't really like to do characters due to my shyness but I love to dress up and get pictures with characters from the same show I am cosplaying from. Its FUN for me.
Frankly I don't understand why there is so much hate? If you don't like it you're not forced to take their picture or talk to them (unless they're like confrontational but that's creepy man) if an OC cosplayer ruins your day its not their fault....its yours for letting their "Non characterness" get to you. I am doing Yuki Cross with Artemis Scythe this year and i'm nervous because I have never really cosplayed characters because I don't want people to laugh at me if I don't do the character right.
Unread 04-02-2013, 04:08 AM   #55
pinkkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsuleCorp View Post
Of course I know you can't judge original designs on "accuracy." That isn't the point. I'm saying that people need to take a step back from this narrow vision of how important accuracy is to the overall judging of a costume and realize that a lot more goes into it - enough that there's a rather wide area of wiggle room into which other factors, including design, creativity, personal choice, interpretation, decision-making, and the actual physical construction, fit.
I think you're probably right. I've never really heard a judge's point of view about that argument, so I was pretty set on what I thought judges do.
As I said, I don't want to discredit anyone's work on original designs, I do understand that it's hard work too.
pinkkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #56
dagmarus
Gondor Enthusiast

I have a few closet costumes for an OC. I mean, I generally like to create a soldier. My Terminator Human Resistance cosplay is pretty much that and people liked it, despite most of them not knowing what it was.

It was made based on an theme, but the design was my own. It IS harder, though to put together an original costume design well using only the things in your closet. And then there are people who get pissed that their original character doesn't get enough attention. (something that bugs me about some cosplayers in general.)

'I am a destroyer of worlds!

'I am Harry Fucking Potter!'
dagmarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 01:53 PM   #57
Amanita

^Now THAT is a kickass closet cosplay!
As for attention, I try to come up with designs that are striking and cool enough that people are likely to come and check me out purely out of curiosity.
Unread 04-03-2013, 02:14 PM   #58
Moonsong
daughter of evil

I'm an avid roleplayer and through the years I have begun to avoid OCs on the various RP websites because the vast majority of them tend to be poorly thought out copies of the hundreds that came before them. (A half vampire neko with black and red emo hair? Never seen THAT one before...)

As far as cosplay goes, I think it is a little different. I enjoy seeing OC cosplays provided that they are done well, even if it is just a design someone came up with and isn't really a character they've embraced as their own. The problems for the cosplayers themselves come in when no one recognizes them, and they occasionally become upset by that. Well, sorry...Unless your character is from your own popular webcomic or something, people probably aren't going to recognize you. Cosplay because you want to, not to get recognized.

On hiatus until 2015.

★Saber EXTRA - 100% complete
★Rachel Alucard (Blazblue) - 100% complete

Moonsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #59
Kesra
Smooch a Pheonix Today!

Hehe love me some closet cosplay.

When asked, I just say "Steam Punk Vampire Hunter"

Remaking Season 3 Azula.

Done/Working On/Pattern/Not started

Pants Tunic Dickie Surcoat Armor Boots Belt Wig