Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-03-2013, 11:28 PM   #61
MutantCanuck

Stop making me want to do OC anthromorphizations >.<
MutantCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-04-2013, 02:14 AM   #62
Amanita

^Give in to the dark side, do it! Seriously, I've seen some hella cool sketches people have done on personification/anthro deviantart groups. Some of those would make amazing cosplays, and I think people do appreciate things that obviously have had effort and thought put into them.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #63
MutantCanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
^Give in to the dark side, do it! Seriously, I've seen some hella cool sketches people have done on personification/anthro deviantart groups. Some of those would make amazing cosplays, and I think people do appreciate things that obviously have had effort and thought put into them.
Heh, but moneyz, I don't want to spend moneyz. XD
MutantCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #64
choushu clan

Ok!

I have read most of the posts on this thread and can now throw in my 2 cents. I was directed here after asking a question re OC and Normal cosplay competing in the same competition. From what I have read on here I can agree with many of the points made and thus I think the issue here is judging. Now I have also judged cosplay competitions in the past and the requirement of accuracy has played a very important role there, hence my apprehension when OC's come into the picture. I believe it was agreed that OC's cannot be judged on accuracy yes? So to me the issue as it presents itself is the judging criteria. If a competition has the emphasis on craftsmanship and construction then I can objectively understand how an OC can compete on equal footing. However if Alot of emphasis is placed on accuracy then to me that competition is not geared towards creation (as OC's represent) but recreation.
SO after reading this discussion, the issue is not whether the can compete side by side, but rather ensuring that the appropriate criteria are in place to ensure that the can compete side by side.
In the case of the convention I was alluding to, ALOT of emphasis is placed on attention to detail, I have always connected this criteria with accuracy. Is this correct or can you judge a creation as against a recreation equally on attention to detail? How do you interpret that criteria? Weight is also given to Character personality in this competition, so I ask the same questions as I have above, do you think they can both be judged equally on that criteria?

I would also like to add that I do not personally have an issue with OC's in general. It can be closet ocs or elaborate ones I genuinely dont have a problem with them, because as I see it, there are known characters that you can actually pull out of your wardrobe so it would be looking down on those as well. I love the creativity that OC's present, my only issue is ensuring that in allowing them to compete with other cosplays, the mechanisms are in place to create a level playing field. As they are now (in the instance Im describing) Im not 100% sold that that is the case.

What is stopping an OC from drawing the 'concept art' after they have actually done the OC and presenting that to the judges; if we are to judge them on accuracy n attn to detail, what is the detail that we are judging them against? Or is it that we are judging them because the costume HAS detail?

It's a bit tricky if you ask me
choushu clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 01:02 PM   #65
alpha_helix
beer + costumes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley View Post
I feel like a good deal of the time I'm not going to know what the character is from, anyway - a good costume is a good costume.
I agree completely. I go to anime cons even though I'm into very few anime series (I'm a film/video game/lit person, mostly). Seriously, I could ask some one what show they're from, they could outright lie, and I'd probably believe it. I honestly don't care if your costume came from something I love, something I hate, or your own brain. What matter is that it's done well.

Also, fun story, it's not just OCs that go off on their backstories. I once saw a very awesome looking costume that I *thought* I recognized, but when I asked the guy what it was from he went off he pretty much recited epic poetry about the life of his character, his character's mortal enemy, and his dog. For the record, this was from one of the Star Wars comic books.
youtube channel! Facebook Page
alpha_helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #66
Amanita

Yeah, dumping your character's entire backstory on somebody isn't cool no matter what you're cosplaying. Some people here say they don't care about the backstory of OCs, I think that even cosplayers from established fandoms need to remember that not everybody is into their fandom, or wants to hear every detail of it.

Choushu, you might want to have a more in depth talk with CapsuleCorp, who has also done a lot of judging, dealing with both OCs and established characters in the same contest.
Unread 04-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #67
Royalbakaness
Zombie Unicorn

I don't cosplay OCs just yet, but I thought this was neat:
http://www.animeboston.com/news/article/406

Last edited by Royalbakaness : 04-11-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Royalbakaness is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #68
Suuki
Kyle Broflovski

I think they get bad rep, because most of them are just fabric and articles of clothing put together and they call it an OC. I know me myself, has even been guilty of that.
I don't necessarily hate OC's.. But it's alright if they look like "some" effort was put into them.
The problem with most, is that that isn't the case.
What I personally prefer, is seeing something I recognized, but with a personal design to it. Like maybe variations of Naruto characters. I'll be honest, my least favorite are gender bended Naruto characters.. But that is just me.

One of my favorite OC's to see, are Animal Crossing characters. There aren't enough. Since it is a character you design, I guess that would be considered your OC. xP (I have an ACOC myself) I actually plan on cosplaying mine one day.
----
Anime LA '15
WonderCon '15
Anime Conji '15
Ninja Con '15
Anime Expo '15
San Diego Comic Con '15
Suuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 02:26 PM   #69
dagmarus
Gondor Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suuki View Post
I'll be honest, my least favorite are gender bended Naruto characters.. But that is just me.
I'm not a fan of gender bent costumes of any character, in general. Sometimes, people will do a REALLY good job, but all too often it seems to mean "That character...but more naked and with boobs."

'I am a destroyer of worlds!

'I am Harry Fucking Potter!'
dagmarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 04:58 PM   #70
OneWing

I may be repeating what someone else said (I was only able to scan the thread) but I flipped when I read "some people believe cosplay only refers to anime/manga/Japanese culture." I'm usually not shocked by things, but do people really believe that? Seems like an excellent way for ignorant people to stand out. It's kind of silly that someone would think that considering science fiction cosplay in the west was kind of the beginning, in our modern times at least. I suppose one could consider anything that involves costumes and role play cosplay but I'm talking in the idea of the term. Japanese may have coined the term but they picked it up from us, did they not?
Unread 04-12-2013, 08:16 PM   #71
alpha_helix
beer + costumes

I've done gender bent characters and I agree. I don't like it when female version = way skimpy and lots of boobage. Now, if you're doing a lady version of a male who goes around shirtless, sure, a bikini top would fit, but if it's a lady version of a guy in a turtleneck, best keep covered up. Otherwise, it looks like you're searching for reasons to run around in something skimpy. I pass no judgement if you want to wear a skimpy costume, but there are many options without having to put Iron Man in a bikini
youtube channel! Facebook Page
alpha_helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2013, 03:15 AM   #72
Kelley
Devil of Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_helix View Post
Iron Man in a bikini
I know fangirls who would pay to see that really happen.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2013, 03:15 PM   #73
Amanita

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWing View Post
I may be repeating what someone else said (I was only able to scan the thread) but I flipped when I read "some people believe cosplay only refers to anime/manga/Japanese culture." I'm usually not shocked by things, but do people really believe that? Seems like an excellent way for ignorant people to stand out. It's kind of silly that someone would think that considering science fiction cosplay in the west was kind of the beginning, in our modern times at least. I suppose one could consider anything that involves costumes and role play cosplay but I'm talking in the idea of the term. Japanese may have coined the term but they picked it up from us, did they not?
Yeah, as far as I recall, the term "Cosplay" was created by a Japanese journalist who attended a con in the US, and then tried to describe the event for those back home. At the time, anime wasn't anywhere near as popular as it would eventually come to be. Therefore, sci-fi and fantasy were the dominant characters. Folks in Japan liked what they saw, and decided to do it themselves, using their own rich assortment of media as inspiration, and then Anime and Japanese pop culture started getting popular over here.