Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 03-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
RinoaUchiha

Handknit Rinoa Duster help!!

Ok, so I'm knitting the duster and armwarmers for my Rinoa cosplay. I've done a lot of practice to prepare for this costume. I've even made practice pieces for the duster with yarn I already had. They looked great, but now there's something wrong with my official pieces. I don't know what I did wrong since I'm doing the same exact thing I had done with the practice pieces.

Now the problem is, I already have both side pieces done and I didn't notice this problem till now. So I want to see if I can avoid this for my back piece.

The side pieces have knitted ends meaning it begins with a Knit 2 and ends with a Knit 2. My back piece will have purl ends. For some reason, one side of each piece has what's called a knotted edge. One piece, it's on the side where I'm going to put the trim, so it won't be noticeable. However, the other piece, it's on the seam edge. I'm doing a mattress stitch and an invisible stitch for the purl side so it'll be completely invisible both front and back to keep the Knit 2 Purl 2 pattern. So this knotted edge is going to be visible on the outside. I've searched to see if there was a way to fix it, but there isn't any way.

I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong here. I'm just knitting and purling like always. Even the practice piece I did didn't have this and it ended with both sides knit 2. I don't know what to do to avoid this. It's weird how it's only on one side though...

So, if any knitter out there can help me with this, I'd really appreciate it
RinoaUchiha is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-27-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

Do you have a picture of the problem?

Thank you for completely removing my signature without emailing me that it was too long.
ThakYuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 01:31 PM   #3
RinoaUchiha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThakYuki View Post
Nope. But the Knotted Edge looks like this:

http://wickedhowtos.com/index.php/20...tch-heres-how/

(You might have to scroll down a little) I really don't need it to look like that
Unread 03-27-2013, 01:52 PM   #4
RinoaUchiha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThakYuki View Post
No, I don't. But they look like knots. It's an official edging people use, but I don't want to use it yet somehow I am...I'm not sure if it's a tension problem or what, but the other side looks even.
Unread 03-27-2013, 10:25 PM   #5
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

Are your practice pieces the same type/brand of yarn as your official pieces? The type of yarn can mess up the tension on the ends. (It sounds like a problem I'm having with sport-weight yarn as compared to medium-weight acrylic yarn)

Thank you for completely removing my signature without emailing me that it was too long.
Unread 03-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #6
RinoaUchiha

Omg, yeah I used Acrylic for the practice pieces and am using sportweight! Ugh, is there any way I can fix my tension? I've tried everything...
Unread 03-28-2013, 01:44 AM   #7
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

The only way I know to fix the ends is to use the tip of a knitting needle to adjust the stitches on the end. Only way I know how to describe it is like how you adjust your shoelaces.

Unread 03-28-2013, 09:16 AM   #8
RinoaUchiha

Hm, I see what you're saying, but are you talking about doing that as I'm knitting or afterwards? Or does it matter?
Unread 03-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #9
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

I do it afterwards so that I don't lose stitches. It shouldn't matter when you do it.

Unread 03-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #10
RinoaUchiha

Ok, thank you very much! I didn't get much done yesterday because I was worrying about it lol
Really appreciate it