Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 03-28-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
MotherSilver

Veran headpiece

So I'm preparing Veran from Legend of Zelda Oracle of Ages and I'm having a hard time figuring out the curve. I have been staring at what I do have for a month now and I'm stuck. Granted, I have my boyfriend who might be able to assist but I seem to not know how to make this thing curve properly. Her shoulder pieces shouldn't be too hard to figure out with him but it's more so the head. I have the head part where it wraps around my neck/head, but now I have to add the curve. Does anyone have any ideas?

I've added a picture in case anyone is not familiar with her. Thanks for any help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Veran ref.jpg (19.0 KB, 0 views)
MotherSilver is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-30-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
Kelley
Devil of Details

I would probably say carve a foam block and cover it in fabric and attach it to an under-cap for comfort. You'll almost certainly need to add a counter-weight so it sits on your head and doesn't keep trying to fall off. You could hollow out the foam near the head and add something in that area. You don't want a neck ache, no, but having it balanced to be on top of your head will be more comfortable than having it trying to fall off.

You could also stuff it with cottony fluffy stuff and use a wire to get it to hold the general shape.

Some people use chicken wire for things like this, but I've never worked with it, so can't comment there.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 02:31 AM   #3
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

Id not attach it to the neck as it will strain it like crazy. Either spray insulation foam over a wire core or furniture foam carved will be your best bet here. You'll have the have a counter weight on the back but it will save u a lifetime of pain. Look up tutorials on how people do Jessie from Pokemon and alter it from there
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #4
MotherSilver

Sorry it took so long to get back, I have a full time job so I don't get to check my computer very often...

So I'm using something known as varaform, it's like a mesh thermoplastic. It's relatively lightweight, but like you said I am going to need to counterweight it. The thing is I can't figure out the curve, I'm bad at math. I tried eyeballing it and this is what I got

http://mothersilver.tumblr.com/post/...-piece-started

The second picture is just me holding the part that is 'wrapped' around to make the skin tight look. Obviously my curve is crap, but I tried using crafting foam to make it first and I found that wasn't going to work since it was limp and my curve was still wrong. I know I could try the pencil/string trick but that will only get me one of the curves. After that though I could probably just eyeball the inner curve, but I'm still terrified to do anything due to varaform being expensive.

And yeah I'm actually looking for Jesse tutorials I found one a while back that showed the inside of her hair was a fake piece but I have to try and find it again-Thank you

Edit: I see what what you're saying about a wire core, I could at least use it to make the varaform stable if not leave it in there all together. It would be easier to bend that into a stable curve than measure crap out. I really think I'm going to try that, once I get my hand on some chicken wire. Thanks for the suggestions!

Last edited by MotherSilver : 04-04-2013 at 01:15 PM.
MotherSilver is offline   Reply With Quote