Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Marketplace > Archived Marketplace Forums

Unread 03-28-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
esl1976

Lack of communication - do I worry yet?

Hi. Am working with a commissioner. I am not sure if I am being unreasonable here, so I am asking for input. We agreed on a ship date of March 31/April 1. Paid 50% up front and will pay 50% upon seeing pictures of completed costume to approve. This is pretty standard, I guess. On March 21 I asked r/e status. They told me it would be ready by 31st to ship and would have pics in "a few days." Now, a week later, nothing. Sent another email/pm yesterday and got no response. I am beginning to think I am getting scammed. I am wondering if I am being unreasonable by asking to see something a few days BEFORE the due date, so that any tweaks can be made. Have I committed a faux pas by asking this somehow, ie, am I just annoying them?

I have dealt on ebay, and I more or less know how to do business there, but here I am not sure where to go next. Any input would be appreciated.

Unread 03-28-2013, 11:31 PM   #2
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

Don't send the rest till you get the costume or see finished pictures. Even if it goes past your deadline. If they don't show you nothing I'd open a case with Paypal to get the first half back if you used it and payed without gift. If you used something else go to your bank then.

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)
Mimmy (Hello Kitty)
Unread 03-29-2013, 12:22 AM   #3
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

I'd agree. I'd actually send an e-mail stating the person needs to respond in a set number of days, or you are filing with PayPal or your bank. It may seem harsh, but it is pretty ridiculous that a commissioner not get back to you within a week. This is looking like a typical scam -- not to say it is one for sure, but it does show signs. Every commission I've had turn this way, ended in a scam, so be cautious and act quick. Don't let PayPal or your bank's protection limit run out.
Unread 03-29-2013, 06:55 PM   #4
esl1976

Yeah, I paid in January through paypal and at the time it seemed as if all was great. The deadline was March 31st. By now 45 days is long past so I am afraid I am well and truly screwed as far as the first half of my money. Thanks for the info, though.
Unread 03-29-2013, 10:50 PM   #5
Chergnomebyl
Landshark

I heard you can file a dispute within 60 days instead of 45. You can still try filing. The commissioner will figure then if they want to contact you or not.

https://www.facebook.com/ChergnomebylProps
Unread 03-29-2013, 11:58 PM   #6
Amaya
Ovarian Cancer Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chergnomebyl View Post
I heard you can file a dispute within 60 days instead of 45. You can still try filing. The commissioner will figure then if they want to contact you or not.
Sorry for sort of sneaking into this thread, but where did you hear about filing within 60 days? I would really like to know if this is true or not, as this info would come in handy for future issues....Not saying you're wrong or anything, I just always thought it was 45 days, and I would be very pleased if they extended that deadline.

Please check out my Facebook page!
https://www.facebook.com/nightraincosplay

Ohayocon 2015

Asuka Plugsuit (Evangelion 3.33)- 100%
Goddess Purple Heart (Hyperdimention Neptunia)- 70%
Baby Doll (Sucker Punch)- 90%
Poison Ivy (Batman)- 0%
Ashe the Frost Archer (League of Legends)- 90%
Unread 03-30-2013, 12:07 AM   #7
MajesticLunacy
Commissions & College

You're not being unreasonable, no. However, as a commissioner myself, one thing: we are human. You may be getting scammed yes, but we have terrible unexpected things come up in our lives that sometimes throw wrenches into our schedules. Your commissioner should have at least let you know if this was the case, however, unless he/she has no access to internet.
Unread 03-30-2013, 06:45 AM   #8
iSeika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaya View Post
Sorry for sort of sneaking into this thread, but where did you hear about filing within 60 days? I would really like to know if this is true or not, as this info would come in handy for future issues....Not saying you're wrong or anything, I just always thought it was 45 days, and I would be very pleased if they extended that deadline.
I would like to know also. I thought 60 days was only if you file a dispute directly through a bank.

Nekocon
Rofcon

Definite 2013 Cosplays

Meredy - Tales of Eternia
School Uniform Madoka - PMMM
Magical Girl Ranka Lee - Macross Frontier Sayonara no Tsubasa

Possible 2013 Cosplays

Champion Iris - Pokemon B&W2
Yuzuki Yukari - Vocaloid 3
Serah Farron - FF13
Elize - Tales of Xillia
Magical Girl Madoka - PMMM

Cosplay/Anime Facebook
Unread 03-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #9
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

It is 45 days through paypal as long as you paid via "services" or "goods". 60-90 days is the bank if the item was paid for from your bank account via the use of paypal:

1. You need to find out how the transaction was done (because there are different rules for each).

2. You need to gather ALL of the documentation you had with the seller/commissioner that discussed the price, the due date, whether or not that person was suppose to provide picture updates and how frequently they said they would give them, when the last contact was, and of course the transaction/s over paypal you has with/to the seller - etc.

3. You need to go to your bank and tell them that you want to file an ACH dispute under regulation E claim with reason being item not delivered/received with proof of expected delivery date or item not described (i.e. updates).

You have 60 days from the transaction date to file an ACH dispute - the furthest a bank will go back is 90 days.
Unread 03-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #10
esl1976

It is 45 days, in my case. Checked on that one, believe me. That said, I did hear back from my commissioner and it sounds like they had a reasonable excuse. For now, I will work with them and see where it goes from here. Thanks for all the help, folks. I have to admit, I hate to think the worst about people, but the i-net isn't the same as face to face.
Unread 03-31-2013, 11:22 PM   #11
Amaya
Ovarian Cancer Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykaios View Post
It is 45 days through paypal as long as you paid via "services" or "goods". 60-90 days is the bank if the item was paid for from your bank account via the use of paypal:

1. You need to find out how the transaction was done (because there are different rules for each).

2. You need to gather ALL of the documentation you had with the seller/commissioner that discussed the price, the due date, whether or not that person was suppose to provide picture updates and how frequently they said they would give them, when the last contact was, and of course the transaction/s over paypal you has with/to the seller - etc.

3. You need to go to your bank and tell them that you want to file an ACH dispute under regulation E claim with reason being item not delivered/received with proof of expected delivery date or item not described (i.e. updates).

You have 60 days from the transaction date to file an ACH dispute - the furthest a bank will go back is 90 days.
Thank you for clearing this up! Appreciate it!

Please check out my Facebook page!
https://www.facebook.com/nightraincosplay

Ohayocon 2015

Asuka Plugsuit (Evangelion 3.33)- 100%
Goddess Purple Heart (Hyperdimention Neptunia)- 70%
Baby Doll (Sucker Punch)- 90%
Poison Ivy (Batman)- 0%
Ashe the Frost Archer (League of Legends)- 90%