Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 03-29-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
ArcaneSpringbrd

Makeup - the Basics

Does anyone have any links or suggestions on where to get a VERY introductory tutorial on how to apply makeup? There are plenty of Youtubes that show different techniques, but I can't seem to find any that give a REALLY basic introduction for someone who literally has never done it before.

2015 Cosplay
---------------------
Lolita Doll
Scarlett O'Hara prayer dress
ArcaneSpringbrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #2
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

Youtubers LisaEldridge and Gossmakeupartist have some. Lisa is currently doing an eight-part foundation course. Pixiwoo also has stuff.
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 07:25 PM   #3
ArcaneSpringbrd

Thanks!

I'm planning on going into Walmart tomorrow to get makeup stuff. Is there any particular brands I should look at or avoid?

2015 Cosplay
---------------------
Lolita Doll
Unread 03-29-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

Goodness, hmmm. I know Revlon and L'Oreal have great face, lip, and cheek makeup. Wet n Wild and Maybelline have some nice eyeshadows. Although, you may want to invest in nicer foundation/concealer, as they're important. Hope that gives you some ideas!
Unread 03-30-2013, 11:48 AM   #5
ArcaneSpringbrd

After checking out Lisa Eldridge's videos, I've noticed that while I tan easily, and even now during the winter have a light tan on the face and neck, my shoulders are quite pale.

Since my shoulders would be bare with Pauline's gown, this might be a problem? :-) Should I be trying to match the tanned skin or the shoulders (and thus have to make up my neck too)?

2015 Cosplay
---------------------
Lolita Doll
Unread 03-30-2013, 12:08 PM   #6
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

Depends. If your costume is in close proximity to makeup, there might be transfer. And you have to decide if that's okay or not.
Unread 03-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #7
ArcaneSpringbrd

Well, the gown the costume is going to be based on is

<-----------------------------

So it probably wouldn't transfer, I would think.

2015 Cosplay
---------------------
Lolita Doll
Unread 03-31-2013, 12:56 AM   #8
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

Going pale, you may need to cover less skin. Something to consider, but it's entirely up to you. If your skin changes through out the year, you may need more than one foundation and concealer. Sorry I can't be of more help!
Unread 03-31-2013, 03:27 AM   #9
Kelley
Devil of Details

I liked Mary Quant's makeup book - and I think it can be bought for under $5 on Amazon if things haven't changed. Very basic, "my first" kind of book.

Other than that what has helped me most is an understanding of light, colour, and value - painting, art. When it comes to creative and character makeup and cosplay makeup you don't usually want to be doing typical "street" makeup.

This an essay I wrote about MtF makeup, specifically : http://amforsythe.deviantart.com/art...e%2F4927&qo=11

Looking at the video of the character, I'd say if I were you I'd probably be planning on foundation, but also a shadow and highlight, powder, a very subtle blush, a very subtle lipstick with some kind of gloss perhaps applied over but not too much, some brown pencil by the eyes, probably brown subtle false eyelashes (and curl your own with a curler so they don't block your eyes), and the eyebrows will depend on how yours are naturally and what you're willing to do with them. Covering them and applying a pencil over in the right shape is a popular way.

I know the essay I linked you to might be overwhelming if you've never done makeup before, but facial contouring is HUGELY important to crossplay (it's pretty important in regular cosplay but even more so here). It's the difference between night and day. You might end up deviating from her exact makeup in the movie in order to make it look right on YOU.

If you experiment with what you've bought and have any questions or would like help, feel free to post pictures here if you're comfortable.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 08:19 PM   #10
ArcaneSpringbrd

Thanks Kelley!

One the things I'm wondering about is this reference to setting with powder. I sometimes see it mentioned, but sometimes don't see it mentioned.

2015 Cosplay
---------------------
Lolita Doll
Unread 04-01-2013, 04:19 AM   #11
Kelley
Devil of Details

In my personal experience, it depends on what the makeup is and the look you want.

With stuff like Ben Nye cream makeup, you usually want to set it with powder - so that it becomes matte instead of sticky-shiny and less likely to smudge around on your face.

It's not absolutely necessary - it's just sometimes good it it's the look you want. I guess that's why it's good to do a few "trial runs" and try a few different things. Even having done this for a long time I still do "trials" to make sure everything acts how I think it's going to.

I buy a lot of my makeup stuff super cheap from places like WAL*MART - if it gets the job done it doesn't matter what brand it is. Bronzer in a suitable shade can work to do shading - the tricky part is finding something you can highlight with. If you have a theatrical supply store near you, it might be worth checking it out to see what they have - they can often help you and give advice on what shades you'd need and usually have a "tester" set that you can try to see how it will work.

Actually in the pipes:
Unread 04-02-2013, 11:11 PM   #12
ArcaneSpringbrd

Well, I came home with my Walmart haul and decided to give it a whirl.

That was...frightening. :-)

Need to improve covering my eyebrows.

Not 100% sure that the foundation I got is the right shade, but I couldn't tell where the foundation ended and my bare skin on my neck began, so that's probably a good sign. However, I didn't find that the coverage was good (I got the L'Oreal True Match). Though that may be me expecting too much out of a foundation.

Applying eyeshadow is going to take some practice. :-)

I see what you mean about finding something for highlighting though. I think maybe the Alabaster from here would be okay? Or would that be too white?

The bronzer I tried might be a bit too dark, but it's a 3-in-1 so next time I'll try that. I wasn't able to blend it very well. Not sure if that's beginner's technique or if the color is too dark.

2015 Cosplay
---------------------
Lolita Doll
Unread 04-02-2013, 11:20 PM   #13
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

True Match is light-medium coverage at best, so depending on what level you need it might work. Or, if you want something medium-full look into heavier products such as creams.

Bronzers can be a real pain because some of them are very orange, which isn't the best for contouring but great for giving someone a warm glow.

Do you have any brushes? Those will help enormously.
Unread 04-02-2013, 11:53 PM   #14
Kelley
Devil of Details

I like the True-Match and find it covers fairly well, but it's certainly not as good coverage as a cream makeup. If you have a lot of variation in your skin that you want to even-out, you might want to look into theatrical creams.

Makeup boils down to "colour" - so as long as the bronzer is a decent shade it doesn't matter what it's marketed as. Shadows also tend to lean to be more warm-tone/reddish, anyway - and I've found some of the official Ben Nye stuff you're supposed to use to shade ends up looking very washed out on me since it's a cooler shade of brown.

Just look at the colour itself and you'll be fine.

I used an M.A.C. bronzer for the longest time, it was a warm medium brown.

Finding something to highlight with will depend on your skin tone. I use the True Match Alabaster to match my skin tone, haha. It just depends. I've highlighted with "bone white" eye shadow before, you just have to be careful with it. I sometimes blend a little of the skin colour back in if it ends up being too much, or to tone it down all-over. I'm very pale so even the lighter creams I have from Ben Nye don't work very well for me to highlight.

Brushes are really essential - the difference between a brush and those weird little sponge things for eyeshadow is HUGE. That goes for everything else, too.

Actually in the pipes:
Unread 04-02-2013, 11:55 PM   #15
ArcaneSpringbrd

The Revlon ColorStay foundation is another one I'd looked at but Walmart didn't have my shade. And I do have brushes. I actually tried highlighting with the white eyeshadow just to see how it would work and it did work, but I would guess that's not a good idea on a large scale.

2015 Cosplay
---------------------
Lolita Doll