Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Video Game Chat

Unread 11-15-2002, 02:44 PM   #1
Celine
Remember me?

Shining Force

A few years ago I sold Shining Force CD, and I've regretted it ever since... I'll probably end up buying another copy. Bah. I recently bought the soundtrack and it revived all my love for the game. Prince Nick and his poor stone hand... ^^

Anyway, what is up with this series? Any new games been announced? SF1 was very good, but the sequels to it were the two Gamegear games (which were later compiled into SFCD). Shining Force 2 had a completely different world and everything. But SF2 is still the best. And it had the hardest battle ever- the chess game in Desktop Land! Arrrrrgh! Did anyone else here play SF3? I liked it because it was Shining Force, but it just didn't compare with the rest of the series. The graphics were prettier, and the relationships between characters was a neat feature, but it lacked something. I can't quite put my finger on what, exactly. I even imported the rest of SF3, and found that the best part was making the perfect battle party using the Premium Disc and playing around with the pretty artwork.

Shining in the Darkness & Shining the Holy Ark- besides the creators and name, did these actually share anything with the rest of the Shining series? There's a bit of Holy Ark artwork in the SF3 artbook, so I was just curious. I never played Shining in the Darkness- is it any good?
Celine is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-15-2002, 02:46 PM   #2
Arc_The_Lad
of Daventry

Its..... Alright. Its got a completely diferrent gaming style, its First person view, but its story is intwine with 1 and CD. but I don't think its worth buying. Just get the ROM and play it for a bit.
Arc_The_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2002, 04:52 PM   #3
KaineMaxwell
Don't mess with mutants

Played the rom versions of Shining Force 1 and 2 and still love them both myself.

Shinigami Photos
KaineMaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2002, 07:08 AM   #4
ThrustPuppy

Balbaroy, from SF1, his off-the-team quote "it feels good to rest" has been stuck in my head ever since the game first came out.

Shining in the Darkness, which I have laying around somewhere, has Darksol as it's main bad guy. So there's your connection, Fishbulb.
Unread 11-19-2002, 12:07 AM   #5
Minki-The-Monki
Isn't he cute?

I've played 1, 2, and 3. I loved them all. I want them to remake them all as one thing, and sell them for one of these new systems. I would buy that system just for them.
Minki-The-Monki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2002, 02:58 AM   #6
tydawgsd
Poser Ninja

Yeah I liked that series, It is one of the few RPG series where the characters propel the story rather than the overwhelmig evil force trying to destroy the world. On a side note, what system was SF3 for I only played 1 and 2?
Unread 11-19-2002, 06:43 AM   #7
Nietsche
Have a SUPER good time!

SF3 came out for the Sega Saturn and came as 3 scenarios looking at the 3 viewpointa through the eyes of the 3 main characters. It may not have had that shining force feel that celine describes, but it did have an incredibly indepth story of political turmoil and has connections to Shining the Holy Ark (in particular the story of Vandals and Innovators)

Some small info on pandas- Eats, shoots and leaves!
(this is an excellent book btw)
The difference a little punctuation makes!
Nietsche is offline   Reply With Quote