Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 04-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #1
CosplayGirHouse

Custom color spray paint..?

I'm in the beginning stages of a new build and have been giving the final paint a thought. I'll need some unique colors that I just won't be able to match with any local supply of spray paint and was wondering if there is a company that can match a color and produce cans of paint to match?

I intend to get into air brushing, but don't know if this is the prop for it. Learning to mix colors as well as picking up my first gun and kit might be too much for the timeline I am hoping to follow.

dA

Facebook
CosplayGirHouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-03-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
engineer

Pretty much any auto paint store can make a custom color for you.

Also, there is a spray system called Preval which consists of a can of propellant, and a refillable glass jar that you can find in most auto paint stores (and some Home Depot stores).

While you are buying the paint, take in a sample of the material you plan to paint, and ask advice. Pay particular attention to safety information. I would not recommend painting without a good respirator mask.

If you are not comfortable working with automotive paints, check with some of your local body shops. Some of them are more than willing to paint for you for a fee that can be amazingly reasonable.

If you plan to get into airbrushing, Harbor Freight has a nice airbrush for a reasonable cost if you are not dead set on getting a particular brand of airbrush.
engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
CosplayGirHouse

Big fan of Harbor Freight, so perhaps I'll pick up their airbrush. It's certainly on the list of techniques to learn, so a starter gun isn't outside of the realm of possibility.

I'll give a local shop a try and see if they can't match the color for a reasonable price. I appreciate the assistance, hadn't even considered going this route.

dA

Facebook
CosplayGirHouse is offline   Reply With Quote