Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 04-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
LonerOtaku

Weight loss for a busy teen??

Ever since my mother got a second job I've had time for nothing but watching my younger siblings and homework. While I am by no means overweight I'm more fluffy than I'd like to be. Can anyone tell me some fast but result-showing work outs? Or maybe ones that could help me lose and get in shape but also keep 10 and under children entertained? Thanks!

as a side note, I'm not sure if this makes a difference, but I eat pretty healthy. No pop or icecream for me <<tear>>
LonerOtaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #2
12WolfZ
thersAferinthehenhows

However you cut it, the gym takes time. There's no doubt about it.

I'd say: Cardio: Run, like 5 days a week. You'd be surprised at how little time it actually consumes, especially if you work hard (and what it does for your belly). Also, take a watch so you can monitor your time and work to get faster: Helps with motivation. Finding a lower sugar diet that works for you IS a difference maker. Sugar is not your friend when it come to weight.

I don't suggest calorie intake calculators for teenagers, I just don't believe in it.
12WolfZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #3
Bovice

I'd try to at least dedicate two days to being able to do some kind of activity. Jogging would be nice. You don't need a gym to lose weight.

On the other side of it, you have you nutrition. For the vast majority of people, the number one thing you can do is cut out liquid with calories. Soda, milk, juice, etc. Cut them all out. Drink water, flavored waters, unsweet tea, black coffee, and if you must, but not recommended, diet soda.

If you're drinking things like soda now and juice every morning, etc. This is going to be the number one thing you can do to get you on your way
Bovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #4
Somethingducky

Could walking or biking to a nearby park with the kids be an option? Everyone get out, gets some entertainment and a place to run around for a bit. Good for you and the kids too. Also do some searches for different exercise videos, I imagine Zumba could be fun to do even with the kids dancing along, and I know there are a few Yoga for kids dvd's out there.
Unread 04-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
LonerOtaku

I'll try to run if I can find time.....and when the snow and ice melts.
And I love the idea of walking to the park with the kids. It's just that it's across the street ^^;
Thanks!

How effective is swimming? I know all 4 kids would love that.
Unread 04-21-2013, 07:09 PM   #6
Bovice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerOtaku View Post
I'll try to run if I can find time.....and when the snow and ice melts.
And I love the idea of walking to the park with the kids. It's just that it's across the street ^^;
Thanks!

How effective is swimming? I know all 4 kids would love that.
Swimming is very effective, but you have to actually be swimming as if you were doing it for a workout. Sitting in the pool, jumping off the diving board, and splashing water around aren't really going to do much for you.

you'll want to feel fatigue as if you were jogging/running for it to be an effective form of cardio
Bovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 07:19 PM   #7
LonerOtaku

so pretty much swimming laps.
*sigh* doesnt sound like much fun but it'll be worth it in the long run
Unread 04-21-2013, 08:10 PM   #8
BlooShine

I can give you some of my daycare experience haha.

But first off, you have to MAKE time. I don't want to come off as mean or brutal, but if you want it, you have to make time for it. You'd be surprised at how well of a high intensity workout you can get within just 30 minutes. Think about all the things you do in 30 minutes that aren't actually necessary.

Anyway, onto the fun stuff. Make getting active fun for you and the kids you're babysitting. Chances are, they aren't getting the proper outside/active time they need if they're in elementary school (60 minutes a day!). My kids are a lot younger and maybe less stubborn, but the number one active thing they like to do with me is dance. And it's not Simon Says dancing where they copy me, it's "Dance like no one is watching you" dancing.

I also do kid friendly yoga with them and they love it, especially when you teach them the names like cat and cow, etc. Get some jump ropes and hula hoops, you can burn a lot of calories by jump roping. Now is the perfect time to look for fun outdoor toys. Even a ball to play kickball.

Those are just some of my tips for doing things with the kids. On your own time, you can totally find a half hour or so each day to do something. :3 I actually just did my first day of the 30 Day Shred, which is about a half hour, and it kicked my butt.

Also, are you not allowed to cross the street with the kids? How young is the youngest you babysit?

Big 'ole list of cosplays!

Levy - Fairy Tail
Menma - Ano Hana
Ranka Lee - Macross Frontier
Xiao - Dark Cloud (Remaking cosplay)
Eris, Goddess of Discord and Chaos - Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy
BlooShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 09:31 PM   #9
LonerOtaku

Those are some really good ideas! Thanks! I bet they would enjoy the jump roping. Kids up in this area don't get to do that in school anymore.

XD of course I can cross the street with them. I meant that just walking the 10 feet across the street isn't going to do much. Unless I'm wrong. Thats always a possibility. But the running around the park WOULD help.

So as a recap, I'm to
- not drink surgary liquids (done already)
-run as often as I can (shouldn't be too hard once school gets out and the snow melts)
-go swimming and actually swim
-get the kids and I moving as often as I can

sound about right?
Unread 04-22-2013, 11:05 AM   #10
nikkiolie

It really doesn't take that long to workout. Any little bit helps. Hula hooping is a good workout, you can have a contest with the kids, who can do it the longest. If you take the kids to the park play tag, or play with them on the jungle gym. Tell yourself you have to go across the monkey bars 5 times each time you go there.

Other than workouts with the kids it only take 30 minutes to get a good workout in. I'm sure you can find somewhere in the day where you can workout for 30 minutes. If you take long showers try cutting them down a bit. But the truth is it all depends on how much you want to workout. Like I said, its easy to find time. I get up at 6:30 go to work till 4:30, go to the gym for an hour eat dinner at 6:30, take a shower and relax a little before bed around 9 or 10. Hell I even find time to hang out with friends during all that.

Pretty much everything BlooShine said. If you want to workout you will find the time. If its not that high on your priority list you will find a reason to not workout.

Next cons:
Sakuracon '14
Kumoricon '14
Newcon '14
nikkiolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #11
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

You could always just try walking, take the kids out somewhere for a walk and make it somewhere fun like the park so they'll want to do it. It'll do them good too.

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Future Cosplays (not working on yet):
Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi
ToroSonyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 12:43 AM   #12
Suntory_Times
re fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerOtaku View Post
Ever since my mother got a second job I've had time for nothing but watching my younger siblings and homework. While I am by no means overweight I'm more fluffy than I'd like to be. Can anyone tell me some fast but result-showing work outs? Or maybe ones that could help me lose and get in shape but also keep 10 and under children entertained? Thanks!

as a side note, I'm not sure if this makes a difference, but I eat pretty healthy. No pop or icecream for me <<tear>>
If weight loss is your only concern, simply eat less (smaller portions tends to do the trick for me).
Suntory_Times is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 05:50 AM   #13
jackopalkia

You want to lose weight while looking after kids... hmm I think going to a park and running around with the kids would be a great way to watch them and also keeping you and the siblings fit to.

Thats just an idea

And if your diet is Healthy you should be ok but try and throw in some more fruits and drink more water then anything
jackopalkia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 08:34 AM   #14
Boreotheria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntory_Times View Post
If weight loss is your only concern, simply eat less (smaller portions tends to do the trick for me).
Dieting when you're a teen or a kid can screw up your metabolism for life, and make you more likely to gain and retain fat when you're an adult. Even dieting as an adult can put your body into a sort of famine mode, where it compensates for the lower calorie intake by storing more calories as fat for later use. If you do that when you're a teen it makes it all that much harder to get out of later on.

If you're very definitely overeating, or overeating junk and empty calories, change your diet, sure. Eat more fresh food and less fast food, avoid pop and candy, etc. But when you're growing (and when you're a teen your body is absolutely still developing) make sure you get enough calories from your healthy food, and don't eat so little that you're feeling hunger pangs all the time.

This link is sort of kind of aimed at girls but the information in it is sound medical advice for all teens.

http://www.caringforkids.cps.ca/hand...tion_for_teens
Random steampunk wardrobe items

boreotheria@deviantart
Boreotheria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 04:43 PM   #15
Suntory_Times
re fanatic

^ Everyone is dieting, what you consume is what your diet is. From a basic level. If you are overweight it is because you are have been consuming more calories then you are using. Hence if you are overweight it comes down to you can exercise or you can change what you eat (preferably both). Having a healthier diet is never a bad thing, no matter what age you are, and yes having a healthier diet can include eating more fat etc for some as for many it consists of less sugar and fat (at a basic level). I think we agree on this.

The OP has little time to exercise and wants to loose weight, hence my recommendation, which was making the presumption they where already eating a healthy diet (otherwise they have come looking for weight loss tips and they are eating in an unhealthy manner, which if they are, they probably are not serious about being at a healthy weight).

Last edited by Suntory_Times : 04-23-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Suntory_Times is offline   Reply With Quote