Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 04-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #16
The Unorthodox
The Unorthodox

I feel like everyone has dealt with this nonsense at some point. Hell, I have a Youtube video with over 200k views and hundreds of comments calling me fat. Like some other people have pointed out, youtube commenters are 90% scum of the earth. If you feel good about yourself, they can all go to hell.
The Unorthodox is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-07-2013, 09:44 AM   #17
ChicoChan
Pimp Named Slickback

First rule of the internet, is we never ever read Youtube comments. Seriously. Don't do it. They are just scum trying to attack you. No matter what you look like, there'd be something wrong. If you were thin, you'd be anorexic. If you're thicker, you're fat. If you're body is fine, your face is ugly and looks like a hag or a horse, etc, etc.

I understand that it hurts, especially when you're new to the attacks. But anyone who cosplays for a while knows it's a sad fact that you have to develop a strong nature to combat negativity. Know that you ARE cute and adorable in the costumes you worked hard on. Be confident enough to never let anyone take that pride away from you!

This is one of my favorite sites, showing that even online gaming, when your picture is not even shown, people will attack women:
http://fatuglyorslutty.com/

DON'T PANIC.

Queen Riot! on FacebookDeviantArtCureACParadiseTumblr
ChicoChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 12:37 PM   #18
Pockets01

omg you are way kawaii! don't listen to them! you picked out a cosplay that looks great on you and that you can tell you loved being in! that's what cosplay is about! to show your love of a character or show and you did just that. That's what matters. ^ ^
Pockets01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #19
Indefatigable
a.k.a. Boreotheria

Some people make a hobby out of criticizing women's bodies, in cosplay and in other forums, as if we're supposed to care whether we fit some random troll's idea of sexy. (As if male geeks go out of their way to look good for us at conventions!) You don't exist to please them and should give them about as much regard as you do to mosquitoes.
Indefatigable is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 03:54 PM   #20
Indefatigable
a.k.a. Boreotheria

Also: yeah, health advice is great, but don't start on a diet or exercise regimen just because someone (even a lot of someones) criticized your looks. That way lies eating disorders and really f'ed up body image. Don't change yourself for them, and don't convince yourself that you're changing yourself for you if it was inspired by them.
Indefatigable is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #21
xcvi
xcvi

It's seriously disgusting how people can act like that. Youtube is the worst breeding ground for these kinds of people too. I mean, if you look at the comments in ANY video at least 70% of them are rude, either to the people involved in the video or to other commenters. I can't just say ignore it because.. how the hell are you supposed to ignore something like that! People are being mean to you! What can make you feel a wee bit better though is that these people are low lowlifes.. if you make a comment like that, you clearly aren't a very decent person you know?! It's horrible to insult people, especially on their looks. There are always gonna be people like that out there but you just have to try to not let them get to you, as hard as it may seem.

Honestly.. to make yourself feel better would exercise be an option? I mean you said you've been working out and stuff. My advice to you there is to just stay motivated! If you want to get fit.. you can't just quit. Diet is also a huge factor in it as well! Eat super healthy.. hell, don't even buy unhealthy things to have in your house if you really want to be committed. Don't drink ANY soda period.. that stuff is horrible for you! Try to only drink water if possible. For snacks and desert try eating fruit! People say that fruit won't make you fat, true, fruit doesn't have the bad sugars in it.. but if you were to go on a purely fruit diet you would gain weight from it. But fruit is still healthy! Eat a lot of protein.. beans are a really really great source of it! Don't eat white breads.. only whole grains.. brown rice is really good with beans! Also, make sure to eat the right amount of calories especially if you're working out because if you don't, you'll crash your metabolism and it will just backfire on you. Combine this with exercise and you WILL see results. Try to fit at least 30 minutes of cardio in a day. Not only will all of this make you look good, but you'll also feel really good. Exercise gives you endorphins. It's hard to do this at the start.. but once you get going it's hard to stop!

In the end.. make sure you're doing this for yourself and not because you're letting these assholes on youtube get to you. If you're happy the way you are, stay the way you are. If you feel you can improve, do it because you want to. These people are ignorant and not worth your time. It's not worth lashing back at them because that's just stooping to their level.

Holy hell that was long.. but I hope this helps!
xcvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #22
danielvutran
prinny dood!

ah man who cares, fcuk them lol, it's the internet, so people will always find room to comment about hate. just remember there are plenty of people that are on the opposite end of the spectrum and think highly of you ^_^v
Unread 04-20-2013, 03:30 AM   #23
~Shana~
Make a contract with me!

Sorry I'm bringing this topic back up I just want to thank everyone! Ever since this incident happened I ended up forgetting about it for awhile and going to the gym 5 days a week instead. Thinking about the comments actually made me go and do more than I would have ever done. I've lost about 4 pounds so far and I definitely want to loose more. Some kids at my school actually found the video and started spreading it around but I haven't heard much since I've been sick for a bit.

Con list 2014
ALA
Fanime
Anime Expo
Anime California
PMX
~Shana~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 07:34 AM   #24
Boreotheria
n00b

Do what you want to do, and be yourself. The thing is, NOT being yourself won't stop bullies. Gain weight or lose it, cosplay or don't, it won't matter. Once a target, always a target, in my experience. So do what makes you happy rather than letting them change you.

(Also, at your age, don't diet. Dieting as a teen or kid sets up your metabolism to encourage weight gain when you're an adult. Exercise all you want, but make sure you get enough calories.)

Obviously if you feel like you're in danger, or if you can't walk down the hallway without being harassed, get adult help. I know they're useless in a bullying situation, but tell as many adults as you can until one of them decides to do something.
Unread 04-22-2013, 11:59 PM   #25
-Luka-
STAY OUT OF MY SHED!

i've been bullied by a Crunchyroll manager.this person told me i couldn't cosplay a certain character just because i wasn't a Crunchyroll ambassador and i didn't have a good experience with making costumes unlike the Crunchyroll ambassadors. she made me feel like a person that wasn't worth cosplaying that character
Kirin Armor-0%

Cons I've gone
Bak-anime 2011
AX'11
ALA'12
Bak-Anime'12
AX'12
Fanime'13
AX'13

Upcoming Cons
ALA

ALA
Mikasa
Asuka
White Mage
-Luka- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 12:27 AM   #26
Suntory_Times
re fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreotheria View Post
Do what you want to do, and be yourself. The thing is, NOT being yourself won't stop bullies. Gain weight or lose it, cosplay or don't, it won't matter. Once a target, always a target, in my experience. So do what makes you happy rather than letting them change you.

(Also, at your age, don't diet. Dieting as a teen or kid sets up your metabolism to encourage weight gain when you're an adult. Exercise all you want, but make sure you get enough calories.)

Obviously if you feel like you're in danger, or if you can't walk down the hallway without being harassed, get adult help. I know they're useless in a bullying situation, but tell as many adults as you can until one of them decides to do something.
I disagree with this. If you actually are overweight and especially if you are obese. Then dieting is a very good idea. Just be aware that to keep the weight off it has to be a permanent change to your diet. In other words, don't starve yourself but eat more appropriate portions and/or healthier food. No harm can come from a better diet.

As for the OP she is overweight (at least in her gallery picks) and it would be healthy for her to change her diet. There however is no good reason whatsoever for anyone to give her 'crap' for what she weighs. My advice to the OP regarding the bullying, don't take any notice of it (which I know is not necessarily an easy thing to do).

Last edited by Suntory_Times : 04-23-2013 at 12:32 AM.
Suntory_Times is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 08:50 AM   #27
Boreotheria
n00b

It would be vastly more helpful if people could provide some medical references when they give diet advice, rather than just anecdotal "this worked for me" stories.

Teens can get healthier (and sometimes thinner) by avoiding junk food and empty calories, but they still need calories in order to grow. This is a pretty well established medical theory. (I would agree that if your diet consists mostly of fast food or processed food, you can get healthier pretty fast by replacing it with fresh and homecooked food. This is not what most people think of when they talk about "dieting".)

There's also an increasing amount of research that says being fat -- even being on the low end of what we have been calling obese -- is not dangerous on its own. It can be correlated with certain dangerous conditions, such as diabetes or heart disease, but if you're seeing a doctor and you're healthy in all those respects (blood pressure, blood sugar, liver function, no joint problems due to carrying extra weight) then you don't need to panic about being fat, because it won't kill you on its own. There are some good links in this article explaining some of this stuff.

Bullying sucks, and I don't believe that kids are more cruel than adults -- they just have more opportunities to be cruel without consequences. Suntory, I appreciate your point of view, but (correct me if I'm wrong) if you grew up a guy, you don't know the nuances of body image bullying that girls go through. If you're fat you get shamed because you're an easy target for other girls who want to feel superior to someone and you get mocked by boys who feel entitled to loudly judge any female body for good or ill. If you get thin and fit you get shamed by the same girls for being too pretty, because now they feel like they need to knock you down a peg, and you get unwanted sexual attention from the same boys.

Being able to ignore bullying is great, but if a given person can't do it, it isn't a failing on their part, because they're effectively being conditioned into mental illness.
Unread 04-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #28
Suntory_Times
re fanatic

^ From a basic level. If you are overweight it is because you are have been consuming more calories then you are using. A diet simply refers to what you eat. Hence if you are overweight it comes down to you can exercise or you can change what you eat (preferably both). Having a healthier diet is never a bad thing, no matter what age you are, and yes having a healthier diet can include eating more fat etc for some as for many it consists of less sugar and fat (at a basic level).

Being overweight puts stress on the body (most notably the heart, which you kind of need to live) and is not good for the body. I live in a country where I am part of a minority now as I am not overweight (people in America, Australia, New Zealand and i'm sure more can say this). That is not a good thing and telling people who are obese to not change there diet is not good advice. This is before we even look at what kind of foods one nearly always has to eat to become obese and what that does to your arteries, the damage often taking years or longer to show.

Also, juts being a guy doesn't mean anything. It isn't all just a one way street. I also never suggested it was a failing on there part regarding the bullying.
Suntory_Times is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 05:26 PM   #29
nikkiolie

Ok it sounds like both of you are saying the same thing. You both agree that people can lose weight as long as they eat healthily. Anything that you eat from day to day is called a diet. It doesn't necessarily mean you are restricting calories. The best thing a teen should do to get healthy is to avoid fast food, eat more vegetables and fruit and all that fun stuff. No soda, limited candy, limited bad fats and more good fats, ect.

But losing weight, in the most basic form, is calories in versus calories out. I could eat 1,500 calories of nothing but fast food and lose weight compared to someone who eats 2,000 calories of only healthy foods. We all agree that as a teen it is important to eat enough. No one is saying that a teenager should restrict their calories. Eat the recommended amout of calories for your body, just make sure they are healthy calories. You are putting fuel in your body, its the only one you get, you need to make sure that your body gets the best fuel and the kind that is the easiest to process.

Also, one thing I really want to stress, men have to worry about body image as well. I know as a woman, I dream of a man with a six pack and tone arms. So its not just women. Men get bullied about weight just as much. And sometimes it can be even worse, because their problems are brushed to the side when people say "your a man, you don't have to deal with it as much as women do"

To stay on topic, I got bullied a little in high school. I was overweight. I have lost a lot since then and I am very healthy. Though I feel healthier than I look. I am still disappointed when I see myself in the mirror because my body still isn't where I perceive it is. I picture myself as being very toned, I am in some sense, but not as much as I see in my mind. I eat healthy most of the time. I still eat fast food, but most of the time its taco bell. I just get a bean and cheese burrito. Its actually one of the healthier fast food options I have found. It has A LOT of fiber from the beans and a lot of protein. One fills me up. The fat is a little high but its not that big of a deal. You just got to balance everything out. Give you body what it needs, sometimes that is a milkshake, sometimes its a salad.

Next cons:
Sakuracon '14
Kumoricon '14
Newcon '14
nikkiolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #30
Boreotheria
n00b

Part of what I'm trying to say is that it's rude to derail. :P The OP is talking about her own issues with bullying. It's pointless for someone else to come in and say "it's not that bad" because their own experience with it was not that bad. If it wasn't as bad for you, then that sort of automatically says that the OP's situation is worse. Regardless of how bad girls and boys have it compared to each other, this individual situation is not the same as the ones that other people are comparing it to, so why compare?

I have to go digging for the reference, but I recently read something that showed that it's not as simple as "calories in = fat out". The point they made was that if that was true, everybody who ate more calories than they used would continue to get fatter and fatter. If your daily caloric intake was always 1000 calories more than you needed, why does your weight plateau? Why don't you continue to get fatter as that excess intake adds up over time?

So there's some kind of regulatory thing at work, and it works differently in different people for whatever reason. A lot of the medical science isn't well known yet because we've been going on an overly simplistic model for a long time. But one thing that is well observed and well established is that dieting is not a good idea for teens (at least when there isn't some other pre-existing condition related to weight gain or how the body processes food), because of large numbers of certain generations (Baby Boomers, for instance) who were put on diets as kids and who have struggled with weight gain as adults even when they're doing everything "right".

You know what else is really rude? Speculating on someone's health as if they were a lab rat and not a person reading the conversation. :P OP, you should talk to your doctor about your weight at your next checkup, and ask whether your health is good despite your weight (or bad because of it). Take a huge grain of salt with anything you get from this board full of people who may be more obsessed and less educated about the subject than you are. :P

Last edited by Boreotheria : 04-23-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Boreotheria is offline   Reply With Quote