Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Original Designs

Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Unread 02-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
HigurashiEater
Sadness comes after love
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 28
Cosplay as an OC?

well.. i am wanting to cosplay but i am so tired of cosplay as people from anime or video games -_- i always can't chose who and when i do chose i never look good in them (like when i was sebastian >A<) SO i want to cosplay as my OC Mikaru Nozuka (she goes to my orginal story) to A-kon in texas this year (my first time going to a con)

I was just thinking getting some lolita since she wears it, dyeing my hair black and with pink or purple tips and getting contacts also getting cat ears..

It that good anofe for people to notice.. "Oh! she is an orginal chara!" or something of that sort.

Also

What is your opinion on Cosplaying as an OC? .3. i would like to know that too..

Thank you and has a nice day! ^^; <3
__________________
Sadness is always what comes after love
-Ookami kakushi

A lesson without pain is meaningless. That's because no one can gain without sacrificing something. But by enduring that pain and overcoming it... he shall obtain a powerful, unmatched heart. A Fullmetal heart.
-FMA

"In the name of god,All impure souls of the living dead shall be vanished into eternal damnation. Amen"
-Hellsing

=3 nyahaha nice quotes right!?

Last edited by HigurashiEater : 02-26-2012 at 08:30 PM.
HigurashiEater is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 02-26-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
Mehdia
The Corset Queen
 
Mehdia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,126
Original cosplay is looked at in multiple ways; some good, some bad. I think if it's what you want to do, it's great.

Now, onto what you are describing. Most people probably won't think you are an original character so much as they will just think you are a lolita. Lolita style when not a direct, recognizable character can just come across as someone who likes the style. There's nothing wrong with that, but I wouldn't expect people to just look at it and go "Ooh, she's cosplaying an original character!"

I will actually be doing two original designs for A-kon myself this year. One is the Yuki-onna (the snow woman) from Japanese mythology (I will also have a kappa, kitsune, and tengu with me since A-kon's theme is Yokai this year) and a steampunk wind-up doll. I don't necessarily expect people to jump at me and want to take my pictures in these costumes, but I've done a lot to make them stand out (I'm still working on both of them as well as getting ready to start the other three yokai) so that I might at least get a few pictures snapped while wearing them.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 01:38 PM   #3
Starlit Rose
Breaking out of my cage
 
Starlit Rose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,104
As Mehdia said, most people will not think you are dressed as an actual character (original or not), but will just think you are wearing some kind of fashion choice. There are a ton of people who run around in bright/unusual clothing who stick on a pair of cat ears they get from the dealers room, but it's obvious they are doing just that - wearing eye-catching clothing and cat ears with it for fun. Thus, the general conclusion is that these people aren't dressed based off of characters they created. (I'm sure some ARE doing that, but again, no way to tell.)

Mehdia's original designs are good examples of what WOULD give people the idea that the character is your original creation. Since her Yuki-onna is based off of a figure of Japanese mythology, some people might think she's basing her design off of something they aren't familiar with, but those who know who Yuki-onna is would most likely conclude that her costume was her original take on the figure. And her wind-up doll costume has enough unique/unusal aspects that one would also come to similar conclusions (might think it's a character they don't know or think it's just an original idea).

It's just that since plenty of people wear lolita and/or cat ears as it is, unless you added something to it that was obviously different, most people will not think you are dressed as a character, and will just think you just wanted to be a lolita with cat ears, lol. I think the big difference here is that Mehdia's examples would look obviously like costumes, whereas lolita is an actual fashion that some people wear on a daily basis.

In general though, people don't really have strong opinions on OCs. You're less likely to get many photos taken, but no one's going to knock you for it.
__________________
Upcoming Costume List:
Barnaby Brooks Jr. (hero suit) - Tiger & Bunny - 85%
Armin - Attack on Titan/Shingeki no Kyojin - 100%
Levi - Attack on Titan/Shingeki no Kyojin - 100%
3DM Gear - Attack on Titan/Shingeki no Kyojin - 90% (needs repairs)
Lux (classic skin) - League of Legends - 10%

Facebook || Tumblr
Starlit Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
Mehdia
The Corset Queen
 
Mehdia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Yokan View Post
As Mehdia said, most people will not think you are dressed as an actual character (original or not), but will just think you are wearing some kind of fashion choice. There are a ton of people who run around in bright/unusual clothing who stick on a pair of cat ears they get from the dealers room, but it's obvious they are doing just that - wearing eye-catching clothing and cat ears with it for fun. Thus, the general conclusion is that these people aren't dressed based off of characters they created. (I'm sure some ARE doing that, but again, no way to tell.)

Mehdia's original designs are good examples of what WOULD give people the idea that the character is your original creation. Since her Yuki-onna is based off of a figure of Japanese mythology, some people might think she's basing her design off of something they aren't familiar with, but those who know who Yuki-onna is would most likely conclude that her costume was her original take on the figure. And her wind-up doll costume has enough unique/unusal aspects that one would also come to similar conclusions (might think it's a character they don't know or think it's just an original idea).

It's just that since plenty of people wear lolita and/or cat ears as it is, unless you added something to it that was obviously different, most people will not think you are dressed as a character, and will just think you just wanted to be a lolita with cat ears, lol. I think the big difference here is that Mehdia's examples would look obviously like costumes, whereas lolita is an actual fashion that some people wear on a daily basis.

In general though, people don't really have strong opinions on OCs. You're less likely to get many photos taken, but no one's going to knock you for it.
Might I say that the way you described what I'm doing with my costumes was really cool? I'm glad you sorta saw where I was going with them.

But like you said, wearing an original costume might not get you many photos taken, but if you enjoy wearing it, no one will knock you for it. But yeah, lolita is more of a fashion (especially to those who are very hardcore with it...they don't consider it a costume at all), so most people would probably just think it was another person who loved wearing lolita clothing.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #5
HigurashiEater
Sadness comes after love
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 28
Oh, ok i see what you are saying. So it would be better of me to make a costume myself then to get lolita(since it is just a fasion and not a considered cosplay)?
also i love your cosplays very beautiful and creative, (hope to see you at a-kon might just have to get a pic or 2 with you if i catch you there)

i might just make one myself for the best of it sounds better and more creative of myself to do.. thank you so much this helped alot!~

i really do appreciate it!

thank you and have a nice day!~ <3
__________________
Sadness is always what comes after love
-Ookami kakushi

A lesson without pain is meaningless. That's because no one can gain without sacrificing something. But by enduring that pain and overcoming it... he shall obtain a powerful, unmatched heart. A Fullmetal heart.
-FMA

"In the name of god,All impure souls of the living dead shall be vanished into eternal damnation. Amen"
-Hellsing

=3 nyahaha nice quotes right!?
HigurashiEater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #6
Mehdia
The Corset Queen
 
Mehdia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by HigurashiEater View Post
Oh, ok i see what you are saying. So it would be better of me to make a costume myself then to get lolita(since it is just a fasion and not a considered cosplay)?
also i love your cosplays very beautiful and creative, (hope to see you at a-kon might just have to get a pic or 2 with you if i catch you there)

i might just make one myself for the best of it sounds better and more creative of myself to do.. thank you so much this helped alot!~

i really do appreciate it!

thank you and have a nice day!~ <3
Well, better is a matter of opinion. If you like the lolita style, then go ahead and use it for sure. But if you want something that will stand out in the crowd (A-kon clocks it at close to 20,000 attendees a year) you might want to design something really elaborate and make it all yourself. Just do what you think is best for you, the character you want to create, and your skill level.

Thanks for the compliment. I've been designing for fifteen years, extremely heavily in the last ten, and around ten years ago is when I started cosplaying. So I put a lot into both replica and original cosplay work. It would be great to see you around there. I'm always all over the place. If you see me, stop me and say hello. I promise, I don't bite, but I do talk a lot unless I'm in a hurry and have somewhere to be.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #7
Undertaker^^
Ghost Pokemon Lover~
 
Undertaker^^'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,070
I was thinking of possibly doing a original character of some form of kitsune or such. ^^
__________________


-Youmacon 2014-
Mega Banette Gijinka ( Pokemon ) - Halted apparently till a later Event
Enderman Gijinka ( Minecraft )


Undertaker^^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2012, 07:20 PM   #8
Mehdia
The Corset Queen
 
Mehdia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker^^ View Post
I was thinking of possibly doing a original character of some form of kitsune or such. ^^
I'm actually about to start a kitsune for my friend for A-kon to go with our Yokai group. We have me as the yuki-onna, she will be the kitsune, another friend will be the tengu, and my nephew will be the kappa. I just finished making the wings for the tengu and will be starting the actual costume soon too.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #9
Undertaker^^
Ghost Pokemon Lover~
 
Undertaker^^'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehdia View Post
I'm actually about to start a kitsune for my friend for A-kon to go with our Yokai group. We have me as the yuki-onna, she will be the kitsune, another friend will be the tengu, and my nephew will be the kappa. I just finished making the wings for the tengu and will be starting the actual costume soon too.
Sounds like an awesome group, i like all the different mythological demons, or creatures and stuff like that there really interesting.

the tengu one sounds really cool too, Good luck with all the cosplays and all! ^_^
__________________


-Youmacon 2014-
Mega Banette Gijinka ( Pokemon ) - Halted apparently till a later Event
Enderman Gijinka ( Minecraft )


Undertaker^^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #10
Mehdia
The Corset Queen
 
Mehdia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,126
I hope we turn out awesome! I'm designing all the costumes, so they won't actually all be historically accurate or even fully Japanese looking, but will have the flair and feel of the different yokai.

For the tengu, these are the wings I just made. My friend wanted to look like she'd been in battle, so one wing is in tact, the other is ripped up like it was tattered during the fight. She's going to splatter blood on the costume too probably.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2012, 05:48 PM   #11
Undertaker^^
Ghost Pokemon Lover~
 
Undertaker^^'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,070
Awesome wings, oh i was wondering you ever heard of the anime "Inu x Boku" ( if not wiki it, something tells me it fits right in with your cosplays. or at least sorta lol ).
__________________


-Youmacon 2014-
Mega Banette Gijinka ( Pokemon ) - Halted apparently till a later Event
Enderman Gijinka ( Minecraft )


Undertaker^^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 01:02 AM   #12
Mehdia
The Corset Queen
 
Mehdia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker^^ View Post
Awesome wings, oh i was wondering you ever heard of the anime "Inu x Boku" ( if not wiki it, something tells me it fits right in with your cosplays. or at least sorta lol ).
Thanks! I'd never made wings before that, so I'm pretty happy with them. I can't wait to see them on my friend once she's near me to fit them into her harness. And I've seen the name Inu x Boku here and there, but don't know much about it. I will have to look it up soon and see what it's about.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 11:49 PM   #13
Kokoro Hane
Mangaka on a mission~
 
Kokoro Hane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 615
Cosplaying as an OC is fun! My first cosplay, although I did no character in particular, was the girls school uniform from my own manga. Next time I get the chance (and since I already have the uniform finished) all I need is a purple wig, and I can go AS ONE OF MY CHARACTERS! <3

The cool thing, if you cosplay as your own character, is that you know that character well, being the creator and all. You'll know how to strike a pose, act out in skits, and all that jazz. It's also really neat to show off your creactivity, and give your character a little love!
__________________
Completed Cosplays!
Mayuri Shiina (Steins;Gate) {debuted at; Anime Expo AX2012}
Jun Suwabara [casual] (Doppelganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul)
Meiko [default] (Vocaloid)
Hajime (Hamatora) {debuted at; Anime Conji 2014}
Tomoyo Daidouji [summer uniform] (Cardcaptor Sakura)

Currently in the works!
Kaiko Shion [blue dress - original] (Vocaloid)
Xiaoyu [school uniform] (Tekken Tag Tournament 2)
Kokoro Hane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2012, 10:56 PM   #14
BlackroseHunter
TheOne&amp;Only
 
BlackroseHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 232
Well, I'm working on my OC (From Young Justice)http://browse.deviantart.com/?order=...stice#/d4zl2qe
You think this will be an okay OC Cosplay? I'll post a full pic soon tho. I'm actually really exciting about cosplayn her, cause she's one of my fave designs
__________________
"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every second of it"

"When you curse someone, you dig your own grave"

Cosplays for Anime Mid-Atlantic 2014:
Princess Tiana (The Princess and the Frog)
Ymir (Attack on Titan)
Fem!Prussia (Nyotalia/Hetalia)

Cosplays for Otakon 2014
Princess Tiana (The Princess and the Frog)
Tony the Talking Clock (Don't Hug Me I'm Scared)
Fem!Rin Matsuoka (Free! Iwatobi Swim Club)
Fu, Seven-Tailed Jinchuuriki (Naruto: Shippuden)
BlackroseHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #15
Tsumiya
Tenga Ryuurei
 
Tsumiya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 20
I have a lot of OCs that I come up with my own =) I give them a personality, an aura, etc. I find them to be very fun because I can create the character & be expressive with the clothing & makeup =) & a lot of people don't know if you are cosplaying as an actual character or just dressed up for fashion sake, so it doesn't really matter XD One time I was dressed up in my regular clothes & someone came up to me asking if I was cosplay Rin Tohsaka from fate/stay night XD
__________________
♡♪☆✿ LET'S SHARE OUR LOVE FOR COSPLAY ^.^ !!! ♡♪☆✿
❤ Feel free to talk to me =) ! ❤

Please visit my youtube channel (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ~ !!!
youtube.com/TsumiyaTime
Tsumiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 AM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.