Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 03-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
AppleFritter

Have You Ever Been to a Convention Alone?

For my first con, I think I'll be forced to go alone...*sigh*... I'm a little apprehensive about the idea of going alone. I'm kind of shy when it comes to associating with huge crowds of people, I feel like I may end having a rotten time because I won't be able to muster up the courage to find someone to talk to. Is there any advice you can share? Have you ever been to a con alone before? How did you deal with it and were you able to find people to hang out with the whole time?

Since I'm already asking a question, I might as well ask another one. Would it be alright to wear one cosplay for all three days? Do people do that or would that be gross? I'm not sure if I can afford two cosplays and everything that goes along with it. So, if I can't afford 2, should I wear my one cosplay all three days or only wear it one day?
AppleFritter is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-23-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

I know how you feel because I went alone the whole time along with wearing the same costume every day of the convention.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort."

Conventions Attending:
2015 Anime LA
2015 Anime Expo

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Complete
Hero's Shade: base patterns done. 5% complete.
Future Cosplay plans:
Jedi Link 3.0
Mewtwo
JediofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
Oniigiri_Basket
Fangirl Extraordinaire

I've been semi-alone. I've met up with friends and stuff, but we always wander off to do our own things alone for awhile. Just be safe like you would anywhere else and it'll be fine. You know, if anyone tries anything, kick, scream, bite, punch, anything you have to do. If you can, keep a phone on you as well as its charger for emergencies. Bring food/water, since one can easily pass out from hunger/dehydration. I'm sure you've heard all this before. XD

MCM London Comic Expo cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Nagisa Momoe (Madoka Magica)

ALA cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Snow White (Zombie Panic in Wonderland)

2015 conventions: Anime Los Angeles, Anime Central, Japan Expo
Oniigiri_Basket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
usuyukisou

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleFritter View Post
Since I'm already asking a question, I might as well ask another one. Would it be alright to wear one cosplay for all three days? Do people do that or would that be gross? I'm not sure if I can afford two cosplays and everything that goes along with it. So, if I can't afford 2, should I wear my one cosplay all three days or only wear it one day?
You could probably do it, but be sure to clean it between uses and to take care of your own personal hygiene as well. Remember, though, there's no rule saying you *must* dress up at cons.
Unread 03-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #5
lapseof__reason
mo money = mo cosplay

I have! I went to zenkaikon alone last year because my friends backed out last minute. It was actually really fun, i consider myself a "shy extrovert" so I didn't have too much trouble meeting new people and finding others to hang out with. zenkaikon is on the smaller side so I think that helped, but going to meet ups is a good place to make some friends to hang with!

also one of the biggest perks to going alone is doing whatever you want without satisfying the group. :P
ღ mami tomoe - pmmm
ღ genderbent!cecil palmer - wtnv
lapseof__reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #6
AppleFritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediofTime View Post
I know how you feel because I went alone the whole time along with wearing the same costume every day of the convention.
How did it go for you? Were you still able to enjoy yourself? My biggest fear is that I'll spend most of my time in the hotel room because I'll be bored and embarrassed about not talking to anyone. :/
Unread 03-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #7
AppleFritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapseof__reason View Post
I have! I went to zenkaikon alone last year because my friends backed out last minute. It was actually really fun, i consider myself a "shy extrovert" so I didn't have too much trouble meeting new people and finding others to hang out with. zenkaikon is on the smaller side so I think that helped, but going to meet ups is a good place to make some friends to hang with!

also one of the biggest perks to going alone is doing whatever you want without satisfying the group. :P
I'm not sure if I'll be welcomed into meet-ups since I might cosplay Seychelles from Hetalia, and from what I've heard she doesn't seem to be very well liked.
Unread 03-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #8
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

Quote:
I'm not sure if I'll be welcomed into meet-ups since I might cosplay Seychelles from Hetalia, and from what I've heard she doesn't seem to be very well liked.
I've not heard that, and I doubt anybody will act like they hate you. I'm sure you'll be welcomed at meetups. I've never really seen a cosplayer truly turned away from a meetup or bullied for cosplaying a certain character, especially not Seychelles. I think you'll be welcomed with open arms.
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 07:57 PM   #9
Angii
Slifer Spaz

I run solo a lot now that most of my friends can't afford cons anymore. Typically, I meet up with people I've met at previous cons, or have to reach out and find new friends. What I've learned is not to focus too much on the fact you're alone, and above all, try to make yourself seem approachable. Just a smile will do wonders, and if you're cosplaying a character that somebody knows, then it'll make it much easier for both them and you to get into a conversation. Nobody will mind if you wear the same thing all three days, since that means you'll be easier to find later!

Other than that, try to figure out ways to transition into conversations with others. Complimenting somebody can easily turn into "Hey, I like your cosplay! That anime/game/series was awesome! What was your favorite part?" and boom! Instant conversation topic that isn't awkward or forced. :3
Angii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 08:02 PM   #10
emmisu
King of Toast

Yeah, one time my sis was too tired and I ended up taking a cab to NYCC myself
Honestly even when I go with people, I end up walking off alone cause I just like to. Especially in the dealer's hall I enjoy shopping by myself so I can see everything at my own pace.

Going alone or not is really up to how you like to spend time and how comfortable you are, there's certainly nothing wrong with it.

As for wearing the same costume 3 days in a row, that's fine as long as you didn't get all sweaty and stuff. You can also handwash it and hang it to dry overnight if you want.
Just remember deodorant, shower, and change undergarments. Alternatively, you can wear it for two days and wear normal clothes on sunday. I do that quite often.

Best of luck and have fun

Plans:
Cerise Hood (EAH)
emmisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 08:14 PM   #11
lapseof__reason
mo money = mo cosplay

Quote:
Well if you're gonna be cosplaying hetalia, look for hetalia meetups and fellow hetalia cosplayers!
ღ mami tomoe - pmmm
ღ genderbent!cecil palmer - wtnv
lapseof__reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 12:23 PM   #12
Neon-Heart417

I went to a few cons by myself, planning on going to a few more on my own this summer! It can be fun, because you won't have another person to worry about, and you don't have to negociate panels and such. But it can get lonesome if you're not real out-going, like my cousin.

If you're cosplaying, you should try and talk to other people who are cosplaying from the same series/character as you! Then, you two already have something in common, so you guys could chat about that. When you chat about something, that leads to something else, and then comething else and etc! That's how I meet friends at conventions! I just find somone who looks like they'd have mutual likes, and shy ask them if they're available to chat.

My favourite encounter was when I was cosplaying Ciel Phantomhive, and I saw a Madame Red, and I ran up to her, and hugged her real tight, (with her permission of course), and was all like, "AUntie An!"

Now that cosplayer and I are tiiiight. c:
Neon-Heart417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #13
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapseof__reason View Post
Well if you're gonna be cosplaying hetalia, look for hetalia meetups and fellow hetalia cosplayers!
Definitely this! Meetups are a great way to meet fun people, and get some cool photos as well. You can usually find someone to tag along with at those sorts of meetups too.
  • Emperor Lelouch (Code Geass): 2% (Planning) Katsucon 2015
  • Hilda, Player Character (Pokemon Black): 18% (Sewing) ?????
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsCASSiOPEiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #14
cuda

It's not all that bad, I went to a convention by myself a few weeks ago and it turn out to be fun. when you go to your convention make sure that you get a list of panels. also walk around and check out all the other cosplayer. you souldn't worry about it, you will have a good time!

You can wear your cosplay all three day but make sure you keep up on your hygiene.
cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 09:15 PM   #15
p0p0p0psico
crafty mc'craftin

There's a lot of great comments here, especially about how to strike up a conversation.

As for being apprehensive, oh, don't be. It's really not that bad. Is this con close to where you live? You might be surprised just how many people you know who may show up there. That happened to me when I attended my first convention alone and it helped alot since it was a first for me.

But in the time when I was truly flying solo, I really enjoyed the freedom. I could adjust my schedule however I liked without having to worry about another person's. This was a big perk as I had the opportunity to explore parts of the con I had never seen before.

On the flip side, there were times when I didn't want to be alone and it could be rather awkward. It's fun to share the experience with someone--especially when you're waiting in a long line, haha. It's easier to be alone in a viewing room, panel, or concert, but when you're in a long line for some big event, that's when it's the most poignant I think. I also know what you mean about the retreating to your hotel room thing. I actually did that several times throughout the con. I can't say for sure whether it was the best thing to do or not, but it was really helpful to regroup and just chill--before the next thing I really wanted to see came up. I'd have felt awkward just walking around aimlessly. It's not something I like to do, especially in a somewhat unfamiliar setting.

See, I'm also a shy person so I understand your apprehension. My advice to you is to fill up your time with as many things as you can do. That way, the fact that you're by yourself won't bug you and it prevents those awkward thoughts of "what am I going to do next?" I don't know about you, but I feel really awkward during any downtime cuz... well... what do I do with myself? If you have a schedule to keep to, you'll feel a lot less apprehensive.

Also, I know that a many might advocate that you step out of your comfort zone and just start talking to people. I'm here to say that if you're more comfortable staying in your comfot zone, then there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Do it when you're ready. Strike up a conversation at a convenient time, such as sitting next to a random person while waiting for a pane to start. Or while you're both waiting in line for a long event. Don't feel the unnecessary pressure to do this if you don't feel like it at a certain point in time. Trust your gut; you'll know the appropriate time to strike up a conversation--when you're the most comfortable and the most eager.

In regards to your cosplay, by all means, wearing one for the entire weekend is totally fine! Think of it this way: if I see your costume on day 1 and want a picture but miss you on that day, I'll have days 2 & 3 to get a picture! ;D People do it, no worries. The only thing you may want to be prepared for is if this is a full-body costume (as in, one or more parts are close to your skin), I'd bring a fabric refresher for after when you take it off.

♥ Lt. Kitsurbami - FLCL
♥ Aisha ClanClan - Outlaw Star
♥ The Black Angry Bird - Angry Birds
♥ Shuurei Kou - Saiunkoku Monogatari
p0p0p0psico is offline   Reply With Quote