Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Final Fantasy

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-16-2004, 02:35 AM   #46
Tevina
Mangekyou Sharingan

My amano Tifa isn't costing me a lot of money because I'm using stuff from my original Tifa costume (top,shoes, armor, hair tie, gloves) and all I really had to do was get a skirt that was the right color, sleeves too, pink socks and a new belt.

Unread 05-16-2004, 04:32 PM   #47
Ashe
King of Chococro

=D That namioka site is awesome. There are pictures on there I've never seen before. Thank you!
Ashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2004, 07:50 PM   #48
ChibiRydia
Mood Subject to Change

ACEN was this past weekend and my bro was Rubicant, my husband was Edge, and I was Rydia. I have some of the pics in my gallery, but unfortunately, my camera broke partway through the con and I have very few.

I think I'll do some more Amano costumes. They're fun!
ChibiRydia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2004, 11:00 PM   #49
Fragmentor
Because I can't fly...

your costumes look great!! i like how each rydia i ve seen are all different but still wonderful interpretation of amanos art, your is no exception. Great job

i do have some stuff around the house that i can use, but im real fussy, so i know i buy stuff to make it how i want it.*sigh* i wish i wasn't so fussy, my wallet in in PAIN!!!
Unread 05-16-2004, 11:06 PM   #50
fairel
Mistrusts certain flowers

yes I saw your costumes on fansview. I think you all did a good job! I am especially glad to see someone cosplay as rubicant.
fairel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2004, 11:30 PM   #51
Xanthe Kelsylva
Psycho Psychic

\/\/00+! I love FF4! Great costumes. Makes me want to do an FF4 cosplay too.
Xanthe Kelsylva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2004, 11:55 PM   #52
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Whoa. When I saw this thread I thought I had replied to it. O_O! This year I hope to do a version of an FF character I love... and the design will be partly original, part from the game, and heavily influenced by Amano's art for the character as well. I've already started buying fabrics but it's going to be sooo expensive so it won't be around anytime soon. XD; At all. XDDD;;; Slowly preparing.. x.x

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2004, 09:43 AM   #53
ame-chan
I <3 Seiyuu

The link posted to all those Amano pictures is great. I've already added some to my collection of cosplay reference pictures. ^_^ The only thing I can't seem to find anywhere are IV Amano scans. Does anyone have any good recommendations for that?

I've been planning on making an Amano Celes for a long time now. I just don't really know what kind of material would suit her outfit best. Does anyone have any good recommendations? Is there a specific kind ( or kinds ) of material that really looks best with his designs?
ame-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2004, 01:06 PM   #54
Xanthe Kelsylva
Psycho Psychic

I used home decorating fabric for my Celes costume. I was actually left over from my 14th century ballgown, but it worked great. It's a soft gold color with a geometric pattern all over it, and it's sturdier and heavier than regular dress-maker fabric.

It worked out extremely well and definitely has an Amano-ish look to it. Most people use stretchy material to make tight costumes, but I actually tailored it to make it tight.

Over all, the fabric depends on the character, your preferences, and your sewing ability. For example, I would not recommend the fabric that I used to anyone who can't match up patterns on the fabric and tailor clothes exactly. On the other hand, I would reccomend it to anyone who has an old machine and can't use knit fabrics.

The main thing with Amano style costumes is detail. Put as much detail as you possibly can into the outfits. If you can embroider, by all means do all sorts of embroidery on it. Do beadwork, appliques, anything you want to show off how incredibly good you are not only at actual sewing and tailoring, but also at decorating an outfit to look beautiful. And if you aren't good at actual embroidery, use trims and beads galore.

And if you are capable of matching up patterns, I would suggest a patterned rather than solid fabric. Even designs that appear to be solid can look more Amano-ish with a tone-on-tone design. Remember, the key word is detail. Also, for some costumes it's an excellent idea to mix-match colors, patterns, and types of material.

And the one thing that I cannot stress enough, both for Amano costumes and other costumes is that you should always use natural fibers. This includes cotton, wool, linen, and silk. Not only are natural fibers nicer to work with, they feel better when you wear them and just look better. For example, silk is infinitely more beautiful than any "silky" synthetic fabric. It hangs differently, picks up the light in the most beautiful way, and has a wonderful feel to it. I would suggest it for any of the long flowy scarves you see in the Amano pictures.

For Celes specifically, I would suggest cotton or linen, since those are good for tailoring.
Unread 05-17-2004, 05:03 PM   #55
SephirothXer0
Dead Thread King

Crushed Velvet all the way ^_^
Save our race. Know the truth

Official Member of the Turtle Hermit Club
SephirothXer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2004, 05:15 PM   #56
Duncan
Living Puppet

No problem at all, Ashley!

Ame-chan: Upholstery fabric is your friend~~
The very existence of the flamethrower proves that somewhere, at some time, someone thought "You know, I'd really like to light those people over there on fire...but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2004, 07:14 PM   #57
ame-chan
I <3 Seiyuu

O.o The concept of using upholstery and other home dec fabrics seems kinda foreign to me. I can't really see a reason why it wouldn't work, but I've always been a very cost concerned cosplayer and WalMart's dollar table is my friend. Course its very true that if you want something to be good you'll fork out the money to get it done correctly. I haven't made it to that sort of standard in my cosplay as of yet to really need it, but I'm sure if I keep going I will.

I'm going to have to keep this in mind for the future when I do finally clear out my schedule enough to actually try my hand at the costume.
ame-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2004, 08:02 PM   #58
fairel
Mistrusts certain flowers

ack, sorries this is so long:

Yeah, I guess when it comes to amano costumes most of the time you really do have to fork out some heavy cash. I was lucky because after hoarding fabric reminants, trims and tassles for the year or so that I worked at a fabric store .... I already had a lot of the expensive parts for my amano costume already at home. For everything that I didn't already have: I used a not too expensive satin for my base fabric and bought only tid bits of the realllly expensive Upholstry (you really gotta be carful when you fall in love with some 33 dollar a yard fabrics!!).

Yes I completly agree that detail is the most important aspect of an amano costume, and that is why we all love his artwork and design so much.. It stands out.

If you are not willing to spend alot of money, then I suggest checking for special discounts at your local fabric store for a couple of months and gather the things that you need... also, something I learned after needlessly buying new fabrics, search through old clothes you have at home, especially costume/halloween materials, and old dresses and and such your grandparents may have around... it will definetly give it an antique feel and it gives your costume a unique look because most likely nobody else has that fabric or trim.

Ok enough of my blabbering..
fairel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2004, 09:32 PM   #59
Dia
time for silver jets

Personally, I'm going to have to speak against the crushed velvet ^^;;.. I think that nearly always cheapens the appearance of a garment and makes it look kind of tacky. Maybe I just haven't seen it used well yet, who knows.

I think using lots of layered sheer fabrics is a great idea for Amano cosplay - that's what I did for my Relm pants and it gave them a great watercolor-like look. The innermost layer is a semi-opaque ivory, then a sheer yellow, then a sheer ivory over that. The colors shift with movement, which looks pretty damn cool ^_^

Also, if you want a soft, sueded appearance, I suggest moleskin or doesuede. Usually those have a bit of stretch to them, too, which is very helpful for form-fitting outfits, like Celes'.

Upholstery fabric is definitely good too, as a bunch of people have said. If you find something really nice that's super expensive, you could likely use it as trim or as a scarf/wrapping in one area, just to add to the detail.

Oh yeah, lots of beads. Lots. Check thrift stores and whatnot for cheap necklaces and brooches - I found a great pair of beaded earrings that I turned into an armband for Relm. Feathers, too. Anything that adds movement is always good.
Dia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2004, 10:46 PM   #60
Xanthe Kelsylva
Psycho Psychic

lol, I'm developing a wish list of Amano-style costumes now:
Amano-style Aeris
Amano-style Rydia
Opera Celes

I want these 3 right now because I was just at the fabric store and saw all the perfect stuff to make them. But of course I wasn't going to beg my mom to buy the stuff for me, so I just kept quiet and took note of what fabrics were perfect for each costume. I saw this really gorgeous off-white material used for wedding dresses that looked PERFECT for Opera Celes, as well as all the perfect trims. Then I saw a gorgeous pink silk, and I had just been thinking about a silk version of Aeris' dress. And I saw everything else I would need for her costume too. Then I saw a dark green patterned velvet that reminded me of Rydia and I decided right then and there I wanted a Rydia costume too. I love Rydia's outfit. I obsess over her. I draw her all the time, and every time I give her a slightly different outfit.

Ack, I need to stay out of fabric stores...