Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Final Fantasy

Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-17-2004, 11:39 PM   #61
Maryssa
Dragon Queen
STAFF OF d00m
 
Maryssa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,605
I'm also going to say crushed velvet looks crappy. I used it on a small part of my first version of my terra and it looked AWFUL. It costs cheap and it looks cheap. I need to remake my stupid little pouch out of something else because its currently the scraps of the stuff I used on the first version and I didnt have anything else at the time. Bleaugh.
Maryssa is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 05-18-2004, 01:56 AM   #62
Xanthe Kelsylva
Psycho Psychic
 
Xanthe Kelsylva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 491
I haven't used crushed velvet before, but I must admit, I fell in love with that dark green tone-on-tone design velvet. I want to make a Rydia costume now with that and some of the green silks they're selling now. It's just so... classy. It looks like a brocade fabric, only with much more depth to it. Definitely not cheap like crushed velvet. That with the irredecent green silks would make a drop-dead gorgeous cosplay... must... stop... thinking about fabric... *drools* silk... must have... silk cosplay... so expensive... yet so gorgeous... green silk... looks pretty on me...

I *really* need to find a way to justify making a Rydia costume. Either that or get a job so that I don't have to ask my parents to buy me more fabric.

Or maybe I could start using well-made, classy looking Amano cosplays as formal wear. I mean, a pink silk dress is bound to come in handy, it's a color I wear all the time and it's a basic cut. And opera Celes would be great for a formal dance (as if I didn't have enough dresses for formal dances already) and Rydia... um... I could wear that for a dance too! Mmmm... green velvet and silk... Ooh, I've got an idea: I could use my Renaissance vest pattern and use green velvet to make the top of Rydia's outfit. Then it could double as SCA garb. Not sure where I could go from there, but I'm great at draping garments, so I could figure something out.

But I still don't dare try to talk my parents into buying all that fabric for me. I need to get a job...

Help, I can't stop thinking about fabrics!
Xanthe Kelsylva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2004, 01:59 AM   #63
Xanthe Kelsylva
Psycho Psychic
 
Xanthe Kelsylva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 491
Ooh, and then I can make my own glass beads for the Rydia costume! And my own hair piece! With feathers!!! I love making glass beads! Ooh, I could decorate the bodice with glass beads! But first I could have to actually get myself the stuff to make glass beads instead of waiting for other people to let me use their torch...

Hey, it's 3 am and I'm procrastinating on writing a novel, you can excuse me for crazy ramblings.
Xanthe Kelsylva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2004, 02:45 AM   #64
Fragmentor
Because I can't fly...
 
Fragmentor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 217
well...ive seen a lot of costumes in dance dance , school plays and other things and...welll, ill just say, its a really hard fabric to make look good. Unless its silk velvet- then it looks WOW!! esp. when it has a nice deep pile. mmmMMMmmmm...*sigh* and its real hard to get hold of and even harder on your wallet.....

yeah, i want my terra to be made of silk dupion, but i dont think thats gonna happen. I have lots of antique glass beads and trim that ive collected for years from my mother, antique stores and of course, the mutilation of other old garments (Bwa ha haa ph34r m3 a11 anc13nt g4rm3ntz)....love 2ndhand stores. So they will come in great use.ive used them in my formal outfits for yr 12 and stuff and got told they looked great..

actually ive found a*lot* of high quality and very beautiful fabrics and trims etc in 2nd hand stores.*sigh* i found 'perfect' material for some star wars costumes and they were like $600 for half a metre....the pain...oh the humanity *dies*

yessss. glasss beadsss are precioussss for costumes *excuse the Gollum chanelling*but beware sequins pre 1930s'. They are made of gelatin. DO NOT GET THEM WET or to HOT!!! i learned this the hard way....

i found beautifyl hair combs that i can add to for terra...but they were painfully expensive, but would work so well. *cries*
__________________
I only want your happiness, knowing i can never be yours to share it...
Fragmentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2004, 08:46 AM   #65
Yuna
Nessa
A frakin' Mod
 
Yuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 2,839
Crush velvet is not all that bad. In moderation and in skill, you can fit it into a costume quite nicely.Velvet is fantastic stuff, but it's very flat and has no texture. Sometimes you want something with more texture for certain accents and whatnot. In that situation, crush velvet would be the ideal fabric for the job. It also catches light beautifully like normal velvet. Every sort of fabric has its purpose, even baroque satin. I know that a friend of mine is useing crush velvet on his Shadow costume and it looks far better against the stark black then smooth velvet, esspecially since Amano draws undefinable patterns in nearly everything. In this situation, I would much rather him use crush velvet then regular, and do remember that I am exstremely anal retentive about fabrics.

Something to keep in mind when working with silk dupion, it's exstremly thin, doesn't flow at all, and is always made out of two different colors. When it frays you'll notice two different color threads coming off of it. This is something to keep in mind when wearing a costume to a con. In any given light it will reflect that other color weaved into it. It also FRAYS like nuts. I've works with silk dupion more then I probably should have and, though it's not as bad as satin, it's still pretty bad. Because it's so thin and stiff, lining it is always advices. It's thin, you sweat, and you CANNOT wash silk (it has to be dry cleaned).

For those very gung hoe about making a Rydia costume, bare in mind it ISN'T cheap what-so-ever. I used a poly-silk blend strech-velvet on mine, silk chiffon, and silk trims. NONE of these were cheap. In fact, the velvet was $30 a yard. I had 2 years to plan this costume, and even with that it cost me over $300. I only used wooden and glass bead on mine... and those cost more then you'd think; beads aren't cheap and they REALLY add up. Though it's a good idea, don't think that saving up on trims and fabrics make a costume cheaper. Trims ALWAYS have to match well with the fabric they're trimming. Beads must always stand out, but at the same time blend in with the base fabric.

And just for the record (I've made/making 5 Amano costume) the base design of your costume must ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS be the glue that hold your costume together. If your base design is so-so, then no matter how many feathers, beads, trims, lace, or WHATEVER you add to it, it's still going to to look so-so, and if you're really depending on your trims and accents to make your costumes beautiful, it's going to look like crap, or worse, something you used a household curtain to make. Amano costumes are beautiful things to make, but they're also easy to make very ugly.

But don't listen to me, I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about!!

Last edited by Yuna : 05-18-2004 at 03:17 PM.
Yuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2004, 11:17 AM   #66
fairel
Mistrusts certain flowers
 
fairel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 147
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuna
Crush velvet is not all that bad. In moderation and in skill, you can fit it into a costume quite nicely.Velvet is fantastic stuff, but it's very flat and has no texture. Sometimes you want something with more texture for certain accents and whatnot. In that situation, crush velvet would be the ideal fabric for the job. It also catches light beautifully like normal velvet. Every sort of fabric has its purpose, even baroque satin. I know that a friend of mine is useing crush velvet on his Shadow costume and it looks far better against the stark black then smooth velvet, esspecially since Amano draws undefinable patterns in nearly everything. In this situation, I would much rather him use crush velvet then regular, and do remember that I am exstremely anal retentive about fabrics.

Something to keep in mind when working with silk dupion, it's exstremly thin, doesn't flow at all, and is always made out of two different colors. When it frays you'll notice two different color threads coming off of it. This is something to keep in mind when wearing a costume to a con. In any given light it will reflect that other color weaved into it. It also FRAYS like nuts. I've works with silk dupion more then I probably should have and, though it's not as bad as satin, it's still pretty bad. Because it's so thin and stiff, lining it is always advices. It's thin, you sweat, and you CANNOT wash silk (it has to be dry cleaned).

For those very gung hoe about making a Rydia costume, bare in mind it ISN'T cheap what-so-ever. I used a poly-silk blend strech-velvet on mine, silk chiffon, and silk trims. NONE of these were cheap. In fact, the velvet was $30 a yard. I had 2 years to plan this costume, and even with that it cost me over $300. I only used wooden and glass bead on mine... and those cost more then you'd think; beads aren't cheap and they REALLY add up. Though it's a good idea, don't think that saving up on trims and fabrics make a costume cheaper. Trims ALWAYS have to match well with the fabric they're trimming. Beads must always stand out, but at the same time blend in with the base fabric.

And just for the record (I've made/making 4 Amano costume) the base design of your costume must ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS be the glue that hold your costume together. If your base design is so-so, then no matter how many feathers, beads, trims, lace, or WHATEVER you add to it, it's still going to to look so-so, and if you're really depending on your trims and accents to make your costumes beautiful, it's going to look like crap, or worse, something you used a household curtain to make. Amano costumes are beautiful things to make, but they're also easy to make very ugly.
I DID use a not as expensive fabric as my base fabric (it was about 6 dollars a yard) but it is a nice satin and looks really great with the rest of the costume. I agree that you have done the best rydia costume I have seen so far, but I still don't think you HAVE to spend 300 dollars to make a great costume. The esper terra costume my friend made didn't cost that much, and some of her materials were not the best, but it made the really nice materials stand out and the trims and everything really did make the costume great.

Yes if you use fabric that looks cheap, your costume will look cheap, but there are plenty of nice fabrics that are less than 10 dollars a yard, and I also think half of what makes the costume is the hair and the makeup.

Good luck with your costumes, I know they will be great, but don't make everyone else feel like that have to have oodles of money to make a good amano costume.
fairel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2004, 12:57 PM   #67
ame-chan
I <3 Seiyuu
 
ame-chan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairel
Good luck with your costumes, I know they will be great, but don't make everyone else feel like that have to have oodles of money to make a good amano costume.
I don't think the point is that you need to spend a lot of money to make a good costume. Regardless of the actual cost of material, the costume that you make is going to cost you a lot in free time, sanity, and patience. If you want to cut all corners, it will look like you've cut all corners.

Fabric preference is something that's completely subjective and different people think different things work best. Everyone's opinion is valued and I thank them for even taking the time to put forth an answer to the question that I asked in the first place.
__________________
Emeralds and Jade
Custom Costumes, Plushies, Accessories, and More!
PM me to find out more!
ame-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2004, 01:13 PM   #68
fairel
Mistrusts certain flowers
 
fairel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by ame-chan
I don't think the point is that you need to spend a lot of money to make a good costume. Regardless of the actual cost of material, the costume that you make is going to cost you a lot in free time, sanity, and patience.
Amen to that!

I have about 75+ hours put into my costume already.
fairel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2004, 03:07 PM   #69
Yuna
Nessa
A frakin' Mod
 
Yuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 2,839
My post has nothing to do with buying expensive fabrics. Xanthe Kelsylva was talking about she's very interested in making a Rydia costume. I was telling her the materials I used on mine. In no other section of my post did I say one HAD to use expensive fabric on an Amano cosplay. In fact, no where in the entirety of that post did I ever say someone had to use epxpensive fabrics. Everyone else brought up the frabic discussion, I was just giving everyone my own experience with it - which WASN'T cheap. And if you take a look through this and the other old school FF cosplay thread, you'll see a pattern of people who mention how Amano cosplays drain their wallet. Amano costumes are very very detailed and intricate. Trims are not cheap, and neither are beads. Just a few weeks ago I spent $45 on trims alone. That's a lot of money considering I got the silk dupion I bought two yards of was only $20. Amano costumes require trims and beads, and in the amount needed, it adds up, hence there in drastically raising the price of a costume. Costumes in general aren't cheap, so one should expect them to be.

I've put over 300 hours into the various Amano costumes I've made or am making, so it's not like I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about. I really need to keep reminding myself why I never post in these threads...
Yuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2004, 04:33 PM   #70
Xanthe Kelsylva
Psycho Psychic
 
Xanthe Kelsylva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 491
Yeah, I realize how expensive a Rydia costume might get. I didn't even dare to look at the price on thse green fabrics I was eyeballing because they screamed expensive (I was looking a silks and possibly silk velvet). But I have various tricks that I use for getting materials for less:
1. Hoarding Joann Fabrics 50% off coupons. I'll get one and buy one cut of fabric, then wait for another coupon to buy the next cut of fabric. Believe me, all those 50% off really add up when you use them for every outfit you make.
2. Knowing the right people. Last year at Pennsic, I met someone who was selling glass beads at an unbelievably low price. And she told me how she got them so cheaply. There's some stores that sell glass beads in bulk. Some of them have imperfections because they were made by people who are just learning about glass-blowing, but overall you get a really good deal if you don't mind having a ton of mix-matched beads.
3. Scrounging around second-hand stores, attics, basements, etc.

For me, it's more about what type of fabric it is and whether or not I can work with it than cost. There's some fabrics that I'm just more experienced with and others that I really want to try.

And another thing: it's not just the fabric you use for the base of your costume that determines how well it will come out. It's also about the cut and the fit. If the outfit is gapping in some places and tight in others, even good fabric isn't going to make it look good.
Xanthe Kelsylva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2004, 04:35 PM   #71
Duncan
Living Puppet
 
Duncan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 205
I'm with Nessa on this one.
Fairel, I don't care if you pick your fabric up for fifty cents a yard. If you want the Amano costume to look good, you got to have a LOT of things. And a lot of things that go well together, which also tends to lead to picky shopping. It's not the quality of the objects that you get, it's the quantity. And that quantity adds up quite a bit.
__________________
The very existence of the flamethrower proves that somewhere, at some time, someone thought "You know, I'd really like to light those people over there on fire...but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

Last edited by Duncan : 05-18-2004 at 04:40 PM.
Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2004, 05:01 PM   #72
Yuna
Nessa
A frakin' Mod
 
Yuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 2,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe Kelsylva
For me, it's more about what type of fabric it is and whether or not I can work with it than cost. There's some fabrics that I'm just more experienced with and others that I really want to try.

And another thing: it's not just the fabric you use for the base of your costume that determines how well it will come out. It's also about the cut and the fit. If the outfit is gapping in some places and tight in others, even good fabric isn't going to make it look good.
How well you work with a fabric has more to do with how your sewwing machine can work with it then it has to do with how you can work with it.

Also, fabric has nothing to do with the base of your costume. If the base design of your costume is crap, then no matter how many trims, beads, ect. you put on it, it's only going to amplify the crap of it. [harsh ain't it...]

Last edited by Yuna : 05-18-2004 at 05:03 PM.
Yuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2004, 10:34 PM   #73
fairel
Mistrusts certain flowers
 
fairel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan
I'm with Nessa on this one.
Fairel, I don't care if you pick your fabric up for fifty cents a yard. If you want the Amano costume to look good, you got to have a LOT of things. And a lot of things that go well together, which also tends to lead to picky shopping. It's not the quality of the objects that you get, it's the quantity. And that quantity adds up quite a bit.
I agree with you, you do have to have a lot of things. I only disagreed on that fact that you can still pull off a good amano costume without having a lot of money to do it. SO yes it can add up. My costume has added up in cost, but I can see how someone could do it for less.


Yuna, I didn't mean to start some kind of an argument, but it did seem very clear that you didn't think someone could make a rydia costume without paying alot for it. I agreed that detail was the important part of the costume and that you would need a lot of trims, tassles, and beads. I was just stating my opinion on the subject of cost. Sorry if my opinion bothered anyone.
fairel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2004, 10:46 PM   #74
fairel
Mistrusts certain flowers
 
fairel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 147
Also, I never said you didn't know what you were talking about and also said that I know your costumes will look great.
fairel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2004, 02:02 AM   #75
Fragmentor
Because I can't fly...
 
Fragmentor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 217
i know silk dupion is basically evil *grins* i always go for the evil materials...i probably wont mak eit out of silk dupion...that was an 'ultimate' suggestion...

adding trims and accessories is *very* difficult. Its actually hard to make cominations, colors, sizes and shapes work well without a LOT of changing mutilating and thoughts of absolute destruction. Been there done that....several times. its a pain but worth it for the final result.

Looking at the Amano sketches of Rydia, like all other sketches, they are most probably going to be at the end of the 'more expensive' cosplay end.

ive been given and bought fabric that i know is expensive, and i think that its very much worth the money.

anyways, i have a question *drum roll* ive spent along time thinking about what type of pattern i want to use, and what kind of fabric i wantt o use for terra. i dont really want too many seams on the front or back, thus i was thinking about a fabric that has some streech in it. any suggestions???
__________________
I only want your happiness, knowing i can never be yours to share it...
Fragmentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03 PM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.