Well, I finally started on my Pauline gown, from the 1989 miniseries Champagne Charlie, which you can see here:
Although I briefly did some sewing about 12 years ago, I haven't done any since and so I'm back to re-learning the basics.
First up, the 210 inch hoop skirt. I actually did one of these before for my wife's wedding gown, so I remembered the basic construction, and actually altered the pattern so that it was more of dome rather than the conical A-Line.
However, some of the mistakes I've realized already.
Although I made a scale drawing, scaled it up onto tissue and then cut out six panels using that pattern, I didn't cut it out very well (used pins and shears). I think I'm going to look at using weights and a rotary cutter.
Second, I didn't have big enough seam allowances. I planned on using pinking shears to finish the seams, but 1/4" seam allowances aren't enough it seems. Also, the fabric I have seems a bit stretchy, more than I thought cotton would be.
So far the panels have been sewn together and the seams pressed. Tomorrow I'll be working on getting the hoop channels sewn in.