Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 04-05-2013, 06:13 AM   #1
tictictok

Sacrificing Accuracy For Convenience?

I sorta want to get all y'alls thoughts on this since I've been thinking about it and I wanted to get more opinions.

My example is that I want to cosplay this;

but I would have to make the helmet myself unless I decided to sacrifice accuracy and get something like this and paint it;

On one hand, the premade helmet would be more cost effective, save me a lot of time and it runs less of a risk of turning out awful/too small.

on the other, I'm a bit of a stickler when it comes to accuracy for myself and I want to improve in propmaking.

Check out my plushies tag if you'd like ∩( ・ω・)∩

Upcoming Con- Otakon (GOING AW YE)

Cosplays
-----
Dahlia Gillespie
Mami Tomoe
Twerk Team!Anthy
tictictok is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-05-2013, 07:30 AM   #2
Salafor

Doesn't it depend on the time/money you have available for the project? If there's enough time and money, you could just try to make it as good looking as you possibly can

If you are limited in time or money, you could make it a little easier and still have something that you'll enjoy wearing.

In the end it just depends on the situation(?)
Salafor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #3
MonkeyToe

I definitely wouldn't knock you for starting out taking the easier/cheaper route to get a costume started off. I myself am a beginner cosplayer. Currently I am getting started with a The Red Hood (DC Comic Book character). I'm spending a lot of time and effort on the mask as I feel that is the most important part of the costume. For the rest of the costume though I just plan on throwing it together with basic clothes and thrift store finds until I have the time to go back and make it better as I get more advanced.
MonkeyToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #4
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

Personally, I think accurate is always better (except in the cases of it not transferring well to reality or being very inconvenient in the way of restricting your movement/inconvenient to wear around other people [for example, I have to make some wings for one of my cosplays and I'm considering making them a little smaller than they should be so I can walk around without inconveniencing everybody else around me] ) and it would also be good experience for you if you want to work on your prop making to make it yourself, but it's down to you in the end.

You could always try making it yourself and if it doesn't turn out the way you wanted, you could go with the premade option? Or you could use a premade base but make the parts that stick out for yourself.

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Future Cosplays (not working on yet):
Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi
ToroSonyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
RydiaValentine
Many talented Lady

There's a papercraft model for Loki's Helmet: http://kaiserlee.deviantart.com/art/...shed-305462946
RydiaValentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
TheFontBandit
Trial-&-Error Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tictictok View Post
on the other, I'm a bit of a stickler when it comes to accuracy for myself and I want to improve in propmaking.
I think this is the key point here. If you really won't be happy with the end product with the more convenient route and you'd like to work on props, I say go for it with the more accurate/difficult piece.

If you were perfectly happy with the more convenient option, I'd say go that route instead. In the end, your costume is for you. But if you think it'll bother you in the end, it's probably not worth trying to save the time and money now just to have it get under your skin later. (that is, if you have the time. Sometimes shortcuts can be the only option if it's getting down to the wire on time).
TheFontBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #7
tictictok

Quote:
Originally Posted by RydiaValentine View Post
There's a papercraft model for Loki's Helmet: http://kaiserlee.deviantart.com/art/...shed-305462946
Thanks but that's the movie helmet and I'm doing Comic book.

I read one place that the horns on the premade helmet are detachable but alas I have no other proof of that. I wish I knew then I could just use the base and add the horns DX

Check out my plushies tag if you'd like ∩( ・ω・)∩

Upcoming Con- Otakon (GOING AW YE)

Cosplays
-----
Dahlia Gillespie
Mami Tomoe
Twerk Team!Anthy
tictictok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 07:49 PM   #8
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

There are people for whom the question of "should I or shouldn't I spray paint a plastic Halloween viking helmet" will never come up. They will just do it. And will not give a flying fig what other people think if they realize what the helmet is.

If you're that concerned about accuracy, you've already answered your own question. IF YOU CARE, then put the level of effort into the costume that will please YOU. If you will spend the entire day feeling like a dumbass or second-guessing yourself if you go the easy/cheap route, and constantly berate yourself for not going the whole nine yards, then go the whole nine yards. Save yourself the second-guessing.

Accuracy only matters to the person wearing the costume. If it bothers you that much, then don't cut corners. If it doesn't bother you at all, then do whatever you want. However, I might also add a tangent that spraypainting a plastic Halloween helmet isn't so much a problem of accuracy but of quality. Inaccuracy would be wearing a gold cowboy hat instead of a horned helm.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 02:24 AM   #9
Kelley
Devil of Details

I don't think a pre-made helmet would necessarily be better fitted - I'd actually think the opposite since it's "one size fits all" - not necessarily fits YOU.

I would also question if it was really more cost-effective. Most of the time I feel like pre-made stuff is actually more expensive.

I don't really judge people for doing whatever they want, but I know that personally I would not be happy at all with a solution like that. I would just not be comfortable, especially when I could have made something better for probably less money. Also, if you're looking to be recognised I feel like that type of helmet throws off the silhouette and especially since more people right now are familiar with the movie version having the horns situated more to the front like both are will get a better "read", I think.

I think you should give making it a shot - I think it's probably going to be easier than you think. Also, the movie helmet is still a much closer match than the pre-made one shown - the silhouette is closer - you could also use the information and modify it. I feel like you could use materials as simple as cardboard and even paper towel tubes to make something ! It doesn't have to be super fancy with expensive materials to make something that's pretty good.

You could also take something and modify it. One of my big worries with the Halloween hat is if it would stay on well - you'd have to probably attach something to it to keep it from sliding around and off your head.

Just trying to give you some ideas.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 07:31 AM   #10
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsuleCorp View Post
There are people for whom the question of "should I or shouldn't I spray paint a plastic Halloween viking helmet" will never come up. They will just do it. And will not give a flying fig what other people think if they realize what the helmet is.

If you're that concerned about accuracy, you've already answered your own question. IF YOU CARE, then put the level of effort into the costume that will please YOU. If you will spend the entire day feeling like a dumbass or second-guessing yourself if you go the easy/cheap route, and constantly berate yourself for not going the whole nine yards, then go the whole nine yards. Save yourself the second-guessing.
This is probably one of the best points I've heard on this forum and summed up something I've never been able to sum up for myself so thanks.

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Future Cosplays (not working on yet):
Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi
ToroSonyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #11
belligerent
Viking Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsuleCorp View Post

Accuracy only matters to the person wearing the costume. If it bothers you that much, then don't cut corners. If it doesn't bother you at all, then do whatever you want. However, I might also add a tangent that spraypainting a plastic Halloween helmet isn't so much a problem of accuracy but of quality. Inaccuracy would be wearing a gold cowboy hat instead of a horned helm.
Really good post.

There's almost always going to be a level of accuracy vs. convenience in cosplay. For example, it's more convenient for a lot of people to use cheaper materials (such as faux leather vs. real leather) or materials that are easier to use without a lot of extra equipment and years of practice at (such as making armor out of craft foam vs. making real armor out of metal) or are more comfortable to wear all day or whatever. It's up to you what level of inaccuracy you're willing to put up with out of convenience.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 09:35 PM   #12
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

/high-fives everybody

And to add to what belligerent said, there are people who can take cheap materials or pre-made pieces and completely transform them, to where one would not recognize where it started from. It's definitely something that comes out of skill and experience rather than money. But there are also people who just can't do that, for whom a cut corner will stand out like a sore thumb. You know your own skills better than anyone else, you alone can judge whether you can pull off something sneaky like that or not.

At the end of the day, when you put on the entire costume and stand in front of a mirror, will you be happy with what you have, or will you be disappointed that you could have done better at something? I consider a cosplay successful if the cosplayer is truly, honestly, sincerely proud of themselves when the whole thing is on and they're out and about. Aim for that, rather than whether it's accurate or best-quality or insert-adjective-of-subjective-discernement-here.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote