Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 03-27-2013, 02:32 AM   #1
xKiYoMiNaTiONx

How to deal with Panic?

Hello,

I know this probably isn't the right place to post or ask, but I wanted to know if any other cosplayer is like me. Someone who suffers from Panic Disorder plus Obesity.

I've been going to anime cons since 2007, but I was diagnosed with Panic Disorder in 2009 when I went to the hospital thinking I was having a heart attack. In 2011, I also got a bladder problem, my doctor says I just have overactive bladder and they don't know what's wrong.

What I want to know, how do you cope? I have to take pills regularly so I don't go into a panic daily. But for things like going to panels and wanting to take a stab at answering questions for free items. (I tried this in 2012, I passed out after trying to think of the answer). My only answer to this is that I got too excited and my panic just happened to trigger.

How does one go about these things at anime cons? I only go to an anime convention once a year, so I'm not really sure >_< This year, I only went to mild panels and didn't do much things that'll trigger a panic attack. But I really want to get myself more active with panels and the like.

Unread 03-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
Slapthefatcat
The man with the guns.

If there was any specific forum to post this thread, it would be here.
Do you know what exactly is the trigger to your panic?

EDIT: I saw your posting in the weight + age thread, so I assume you want to lose weight.
Exercise is great therapy to help you think things through. One idea would be if you know what is going to trigger your panic, try to organize what you are going to say way ahead of time, write it down. That way you're prepared and the focus of getting it right is loosened.
The major exercises that are good for therapy are repetitive cardio like the elliptical, the row machine or running/walking.
Zoro - One Piece (Eventually)
Ippo - Hajime no Ippo (Eventually)
Hody - One Piece (Eventually)
Free - Soul Eater (Otakon 2013, Completed)
Goku - Dragon Ball Z (Otakon 2014, Completed)

My Facebook cosplay group - Southern Maryland Cosplay (Anyone can join)

Last edited by Slapthefatcat : 03-27-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Slapthefatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 04:53 PM   #3
xKiYoMiNaTiONx

Practically, lately everything kind of triggers my panic. Speaking in front of a wide load of people (I can't even go to a job interview), catching the bus, walking to the bus stop, when i get too excited, when i over exhaust myself, when i'm nervous...
Unread 03-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #4
Slapthefatcat
The man with the guns.

Do you think it's on an emotional or a biological level? (Overthinking causes it or thinking and then the chemicals in the brain cause the panic)

Unread 03-27-2013, 10:16 PM   #5
xKiYoMiNaTiONx

Not sure... my psychiatrist doesn't really help me. When you say overthinking, that can be true, i tend to overthink things, but then sometimes when i just think subconciously, my panic occurs too.
Unread 03-28-2013, 12:04 AM   #6
Slapthefatcat
The man with the guns.

So it's more of a reaction?

Unread 03-28-2013, 12:13 AM   #7
xKiYoMiNaTiONx

I suppose?? Not sure... half of the time I pass out from my panic attacks so I gotta take pills daily...
Unread 03-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #8
Roxie~
Imma Goldfish~&lt;3

I wonder if you could do little exercises to help get comfortable just being around others.

Like starting with one close friend (just one at first), and once you are comfortable fully talking not feeling any panic, add another friend and other once you are okay with two*taking as much time as you need*. Maybe you could make a goal to get together with a fairly large group and play a game like Apples to Apples or trivia. Or walking down the street for a little bit.

I know when I feel a panic attack coming on I stop what ever I'm doing sit down and just clear my head. What ever the problem is I just take deep breaths and try to think of nothing until I can think clearly again.

I hope some of this helps.

Echo - Phantasy Star Online 2

Athena - Angelic Layer

Roxie~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #9
ChicoChan
Pimp Named Slickback

I agree with trying to start off slowly getting more active throughout your day. You can start in the comfort of your own room. Just try to get up and stretch every morning! If you have a WII you can try games like this where you can play in your home without anyone watching or making you feel uncomfortable. http://www.ea.com/ea-sports-active-2

It seems like you just have a lot of nervous energy built up, and when you get around people it makes you feel sick and scared. Once you've started to be more active in the safety of your own home, try branching out to just talking a short 5-10 minute walk around outside everyday. That will help you get over your anxiety around other people and hopefully make your next convention much more fun!

DON'T PANIC.

Queen Riot! on FacebookDeviantArtCureACParadiseTumblr
ChicoChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #10
Indefatigable
a.k.a. Boreotheria

Quite frankly, if I was having that much panic while medicated, I would suspect the medication was not working and needed to be changed/tweaked. :P You can definitely try practicing in friendlier situations and working up to what you want to do, if it's a specific phobia that's triggering the panic. But if you have lots of different situations that turn you into a quivering lump, I think it's time to talk to the prescribing doc about prescribing something else. :P

(Disclaimer: I take medication for chronic depression, and when I was off the meds I had panic attacks as well. Brain chemistry is weird.)
Indefatigable is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #11
Indefatigable
a.k.a. Boreotheria

Also, not sure if obesity is relevant to the panic problem -- aside from, if you're so depressed and anxious that you never get outside and can't be bothered to cook healthy meals. Get your brain health in order and it'll be easier to maintain your body health at whatever your normal weight is.
Indefatigable is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 10:31 PM   #12
PurePlummet
Registered Ruse

From the sounds of things, you might want to change psychiatrists or find a therapist/psychologist to supplement your medication. There are plenty of cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) techniques to teach you how to deal with panic and how to reduce triggers. I'd suggest looking around for a professional therapist who has been trained in such aspects to go to for advice.

This website is mostly geared towards people with depression, but they're great for helping you find therapists in your area: http://www.yourlifeyourvoice.org/abo...toGetHelp.aspx
PurePlummet is offline   Reply With Quote