Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Unread 04-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
MinionsCube

Cosplayer wants to use my pictures for prints

(Sorry if this has been discussed before)

A cosplayer just contacted me asking if she could use a couple of nice photos I took of her to sell prints. This is this first time I've been asked this, so I don't really know how to go about it. I don't make much/any money at the moment with doing cosplay photography, so it kind if makes me a little sad that I wouldn't get credit (she wants the logo off the picture) or a cut of the sale. Has anyone else done this before? How do you go about it? Thank you.
MinionsCube is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-07-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
bodatheyoda
Thats right, love me

This has become more and more popular. I know of several cosplayers that have done this. regardless of what she wants to do with the photos, they are your pictures. Unless she has actively bought the rights to those picture, you have the final say as to how they can be used. I personally would never agree to having my mark taken off the photo. I do give cosplayers I shoot photos without my watermark, but they have to agree that they will never be posted online.

So in truth it's completely up to you. I know some photographers work out a deal where they get an amount of money in exchange and what not. The final details again are all up to you.

My photography page on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Tk8919Photography
My DA: http://bodatheyoda.deviantart.com/

http://www.501st.com
bodatheyoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
TykeJack
envisageu.deviantart.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinionsCube View Post
(Sorry if this has been discussed before)

A cosplayer just contacted me asking if she could use a couple of nice photos I took of her to sell prints. This is this first time I've been asked this, so I don't really know how to go about it. I don't make much/any money at the moment with doing cosplay photography, so it kind if makes me a little sad that I wouldn't get credit (she wants the logo off the picture) or a cut of the sale. Has anyone else done this before? How do you go about it? Thank you.
The pictures belong to you, so not only should you be getting credit but you should also be benefiting from the proceeds. If you want to be considerate towards her wants, then you can allow her to sell small rez copies of your images WITH the logo on them. I talking like 400 X 600 pixels in size or something like that.
TykeJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 12:20 AM   #4
Max_Archer
cosplayshots.com

This is a hard situation because there's basically no answer that's beneficial for the photographer. Most cosplayers will only sell a couple dozen of one print at most, and their profit margins aren't huge, so if you ask for a reasonable cut of the profit you'll only make a few bucks, and it's hardly worth it at that point.

Personally I've only had one cosplayer sell enough of my prints that a reasonable cut would have made me a decent amount of money, but she's my girlfriend, so I'm not exactly gonna demand a cut from her.
Max_Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 01:32 AM   #5
Access

Max Archer is right about the actual value likely being so low that it's just not worth it. But I don't think it's a hard situation. There is no reason _not_ to be helpful, you don't lose anything by it.

Just agree to, say, 20 to 50 of each for free, and if they want to sell more than that, terms TBD. This way on the off chance that there is some potential upside to it, you can still get something. The only thing I'd really expect (or want) is good bookkeeping. I wouldn't expect that they'd sell more than the free amount, but I'd like to at least know what sells and how many for future reference.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #6
TykeJack
envisageu.deviantart.com

I agree that the monetary value probably doesn't merit the potential complications, but I do feel the principle of the matter does. Like I said, I think a good way to meet in the middle is to let her sell prints with your logo still on them. They are your pictures after all.
Unread 04-09-2013, 01:26 AM   #7
firecloak

Unless she has a huge fanbase (10K+ likes) on facebook or 100+ likes on photos on FB, she probably won't sell a lot. If she's lucky, she may sell 5, and then you can get whatever cut of her profit.

They are your photos though, so maybe say she can sell them, but leave your watermark intact?
Unread 04-09-2013, 03:22 AM   #8
Max_Archer
cosplayshots.com

Watermarked prints are pointless. I watermark my photos so that when they get circulated and reposted around the internet, people know where they came from, and to make them a little bit harder to steal and use for shady eBay/TaoBao listings etc. That's not a concern with a print.
Unread 04-09-2013, 08:13 AM   #9
TykeJack
envisageu.deviantart.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_Archer View Post
Watermarked prints are pointless. I watermark my photos so that when they get circulated and reposted around the internet, people know where they came from, and to make them a little bit harder to steal and use for shady eBay/TaoBao listings etc. That's not a concern with a print.
Certainly not pointless. Unwatermarked copies can be a premium offer for cosplayers who pay for the photoshoot. So watermarks go on all free photoshoots and you can offer unwatermarked ones as incentive for people to pay for a photoshoot. <--This is where you can earn some funds.
Unread 04-09-2013, 10:35 AM   #10
sukotsuto
Just call me Scott (^_^)

Unless it is some a-rank cosplayer with 10,000+ fans, I'd say just let her use the photos. Ask her to put links to your site wherever she uses the photos. Most sites should at least have a product description field where attribution can be done.
Unread 04-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #11
g00dapple

Maybe give her one but tell her she needs to promote your site on her FB or other places?

2014 convention list we will be photographing coming soon!
g00dapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #12
Max_Archer
cosplayshots.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by TykeJack View Post
Certainly not pointless. Unwatermarked copies can be a premium offer for cosplayers who pay for the photoshoot. So watermarks go on all free photoshoots and you can offer unwatermarked ones as incentive for people to pay for a photoshoot. <--This is where you can earn some funds.
Nobody is going to print a watermarked photo and sell it. You might as well refuse to let them use the image.

Not to mention if it's a 400x600 file like you said above. What are they gonna print, a postage stamp? Seriously, that's like a 1.5"x2" print at 300DPI.
Unread 04-09-2013, 11:33 PM   #13
SolarTempest
.: Photographer :.

Quote:
Nobody is going to print a watermarked photo and sell it. You might as well refuse to let them use the image.
100% agree with this. I would never buy a watermarked print.

Some cosplayers include credits and other info that come on a separate sheet with the print. Or provide credit on the page selling the prints. You could request this?

Take a cut or one time fee. Might be possible to ask how many prints they're making and gauge it from that.

Grats on getting prints done, if you end up allowing them!

flickr.com/photos/solartempest
Facebook: solartempestphotography
-Email me for shoots!

:2014 Planned Conventions:
Katsucon, Con-G, MTAC, Colossal Con, Otakuthon, FanExpo, Youmacon,
SolarTempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 01:12 AM   #14
TykeJack
envisageu.deviantart.com

Quote:

Not to mention if it's a 400x600 file like you said above. What are they gonna print, a postage stamp? Seriously, that's like a 1.5"x2" print at 300DPI.
And that's why it creates incentive for paying for a photoshoot that includes large unwatermarked copies for print, thank you for proving my point.
Unread 04-10-2013, 02:14 AM   #15
Max_Archer
cosplayshots.com

The thing is that cosplayers who can actually sell a decent volume of prints already have plenty of photographers willing to shoot pictures with them for free, or they have a preexisting relationship with a paid photographer that they use for everything.

If anything, you're giving them an incentive to go shoot with somebody else.