Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-09-2013, 04:57 PM   #1
Mongrel
Nobody

Madame Thenardier

I'm currently in the planning process of making both Thenardier costumes from Les Miserables (the movie version) for both myself (as Monsieur) and a friend (as Mme.).
So I'm asking here for advice on her costume because I have some pretty loose ideas, but not sure as a whole.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_md...3hnzo1_500.png
http://www.aceshowbiz.com/images/sti...-picture02.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_me...narfo1_500.jpg

One thing is for sure, and that is that this will be the most time-consuming project I've pursued thus far.

So the skirt.
To me, it definitely looks like it's basically been quilted. (obviously, without batting and whatnot). So as long as I'm seeing that right, I'll probably have to go and research on quilting forums and talk to the elderly ladies in town and whatnot.
But in case someone here is quite knowledgable: how does patterning work if I'm making a quilted skirt? Will I still need to buy/use a basic skirt pattern? If so (not very knowledgable on skirt types), what kind of skirt would you consider hers to be?

And so that corset.
Never made one, but I'll buy a pattern somewhere and pretty much go buy the pattern for the base. The curious part about it is the design on top. Is that applique? Seems like the color beneath the "black" is a lighter shade, so it almost seems like it's an entire piece or "patch" that's been sewn on top. Am I completely left field?

Lastly, what goes on underneath.
Can anybody explain what she might be wearing beneath that corset? Obviously, there's her grungy blouse. But the green garment between the blouse and corset?

Sorry for the wall of text everybody! I just want to be as precise as possible!

Kristoff (Frozen)
The Master (Doctor Who)
Timon Gijinka (The Lion King)
Genderbent Rapunzel (Tangled)
Prince Philip (Sleeping Beauty)

Upcoming Con Status
MTAC
Colossal Con
Dragon*Con
AWA
Mongrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
Kelley
Devil of Details

What does the back of the skirt look like ? Front the front it just looks like it's a real quilt that's been pleated into a waistband - and maybe not actually a "skirt" - more like an apron. The quilt doesn't appear to be shaped in and of itself so there's no reason to take a pattern to it. Center front looks like maybe they added that striped piece, but that's about it. And they might have used the black "lining" more at the bottom to get it to flare out - or maybe excised some at the top - but it's definitely not a traditional "pattern".

For the design on the top, I wouldn't be surprised if it was another piece of fabric entirely that had a pattern on it and they just cut out a part of the pattern that they liked - or it was just embroidered on another piece of fabric and then cut out and transferred.

For stuff like what the green thing is you need to either find pictures of the costume taken apart and on display or just guess.

From what I can see, I wouldn't make the pink thing like a corset - it's that shape, but it only has very light boning in it, if any. The green thing appears to have boning in it and is probably the actual "shaping garment" - but it's also pretty light and it looks like there's even another layer under it.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
Penlowe

Quilting is actually the process of sewing two layers of fabric together with batting or stuffing in between, either before or after sewing the layers. Assembling multiple pieces of fabric together into a larger whole, whether random or specific patterns, is piecing or patch work. The vast majority of quilts made for beds are pieced first, thus the common confusion in terms.

I agree that it looks like a pieced bedspread was used to make the skirt. as dense as it is I suspect it was very lightly padded as well (not super fluffy comforted thick). I'd start combing thrift stored for a ratty quilt/ bedspread to repurpose. That patchwork in particular is called Log Cabin.

I also agree that the green garment is the structural corset and the red is merely a boned bodice. It would suit the character perfectly if the designs on the front were robbed off of some finer garment
Unread 04-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #4
Mongrel
Nobody

Wow, thanks for all of the suggestions, you two!

Especially tanks for the corrections on the corset and on quilting vs. patchwork terms. I'll probably end up taking the time to piece it all together myself, though, since bedspreads are so expensive and we're trying to be as accurate as possible.

Thanks again! This helps a lot.

Kristoff (Frozen)
The Master (Doctor Who)
Timon Gijinka (The Lion King)
Genderbent Rapunzel (Tangled)
Prince Philip (Sleeping Beauty)

Upcoming Con Status
MTAC
Colossal Con
Dragon*Con
AWA
Mongrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2013, 08:26 AM   #5
Penlowe

Piecing is a VERY slow process. Piecing a quilt for the skirt is about a 300 hour job, so if you worked on it an hour a day, nearly a year to complete. I have a quilt that fits a double bed that has roughly the same size pieces as that skirt. My great grandmother made it. On the embroidered label she put a start and finish date. It took her 4 years to complete.

ALL THAT SAID:
You would be surprised how often I see hand made quilts in thrift stores, it makes me sad every time. Her skirt is made from a very worn and weathered quilt, a newer one that you spend time abusing with bleach & rocks will still probably be a boon to your costume.
Unread 04-15-2013, 02:40 AM   #6
Kelley
Devil of Details

Personally, I could never bring myself to alter a hand-made quilt unless it was already super-trashed or something.

If you can't find one that's been loved to death you could simplify the pattern and still get a similar look if you don't want to go blind or something. You could sew the main parts and some bits to "pop" and use paint for others - since it doesn't really matter if it cracks and gets a grungy look. I'm not a "cutting corners" person but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote