Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 04-10-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
MonkeyToe

Getting Ready for Cosplay

Let me say that I'm not one of those people that think you have to be perfect to Cosplay. I AM one of those people, however, that is pretty self conscious about his appearance and before I try to cram myself into a body suit, I would like to at least look a little more heroic.

Granted this isn't the reason I started working out, but it is a perk.

Since January this year I've lost over 20 pounds. I started out at 249 pounds and at my last weigh in I had reduced that to 226. After a short break I got back to working out last night and did 60 minutes on a treadmill. Today is comic book day so I won't be working out, but I will be back at the gym tomorrow.

When I get the chance, I'll post pictures to reference my weight loss.
MonkeyToe is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
nikkiolie

Good luck! The hardest part is sticking to it. If you can keep it up for a month it will become second nature. I used to be terrible at working out. I would always make excuses, don't get me wrong I still make some excuses, but now I work out at least 5 days a week and I feel like my day isn't complete until I get at least 30 minutes in. Starting today I am actually going to be bumping my workout from 30-45 minutes(sometimes an hour) to 45-60 minutes.

I personally find that when starting out worrying about my workout AND diet was too much and set me up for failure. This time around I got my workout down then moved on to diet. I have been working out since December without any major problems. Diet has always been the hardest part since I like food too much, especially the sweet stuff. I'm not cutting anything out of my diet, just trying to eat the better things more often and the bad things less, about once a week.

Next cons:
Sakuracon '14
Kumoricon '14
Newcon '14
nikkiolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
MonkeyToe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiolie View Post
Good luck! The hardest part is sticking to it. If you can keep it up for a month it will become second nature. I used to be terrible at working out. I would always make excuses, don't get me wrong I still make some excuses, but now I work out at least 5 days a week and I feel like my day isn't complete until I get at least 30 minutes in. Starting today I am actually going to be bumping my workout from 30-45 minutes(sometimes an hour) to 45-60 minutes.

I personally find that when starting out worrying about my workout AND diet was too much and set me up for failure. This time around I got my workout down then moved on to diet. I have been working out since December without any major problems. Diet has always been the hardest part since I like food too much, especially the sweet stuff. I'm not cutting anything out of my diet, just trying to eat the better things more often and the bad things less, about once a week.
Sounds a lot like me, especially on the liking to eat the good stuff! I've been working out since January and I have been doing a pretty good job. There have only been a couple of minor setbacks where I didn't get to workout for like a week at a time. The most important thing about that is that I didn't GAIN weight. I've become very good at maintaining the weight by cutting out most of my Soda intake and making better choices when I eat. Even if I cave and go to some fast food, I typically choose chicken over beef ect. It has been a battle, but I am hoping to shave of 10, maybe even 15 more pounds before Dallas Comic Con.

And thank you for the encouragement!
Unread 04-10-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
emmisu
King of Toast

Hope you're successful!

I just got my boyfriend started on working out a little with me.
We're starting small since we're both really out of shape, just 20 crunches and 10 sit ups a night, plus stretching and back/shoulder exercises for me.

one week in

Plans:
Cerise Hood (EAH)
emmisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #5
MonkeyToe

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmisu View Post
Hope you're successful!

I just got my boyfriend started on working out a little with me.
We're starting small since we're both really out of shape, just 20 crunches and 10 sit ups a night, plus stretching and back/shoulder exercises for me.

one week in
It's a good idea to ease into things.

So far I have mostly been focused on cardio to burn the calories. Plus the better your cardio is, the longer and harder you can work out. I typically spend about an hour on either an elliptical machine or a treadmill. Soon I am hoping to add more strength training to my regime.
Unread 04-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
nikkiolie

I am a huge advocate for weight lifting. I have seen great results in just a few months. I am much stronger and have lose quite a bit of body fat (for me at least). Lifting heavy weights burns more calories than cardio alone but cardio is also needed.

Next cons:
Sakuracon '14
Kumoricon '14
Newcon '14
nikkiolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #7
MonkeyToe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiolie View Post
I am a huge advocate for weight lifting. I have seen great results in just a few months. I am much stronger and have lose quite a bit of body fat (for me at least). Lifting heavy weights burns more calories than cardio alone but cardio is also needed.
Agreed. What I am hoping to do is keep going for another week or 2 solidly and then start throwing in some P90x strength training as an additional daily or every other day workout.
Unread 04-12-2013, 01:11 AM   #8
sexytime10
See you next week

oh god weight lifting hnnrgh yess. seriously man if you want to "get ready" for cosplay and stay motivated pick up heavy weights and set them down--you'll get addicted and motivated as time goes on. honestly I don't recommend something like lelp90x as traditional methods of lifting just work WONDERS on the body, but whatever works for you.

uh ah uh so i don't have much to add in this thread without sounding like (more) of an arrogant cunt but uh just keep in mind that in terms of body sculpting your workouts only hold about 30% importance. The other 70% is what you eat, sure cutting out soda and fast food is great but if you REALLY want to change your body and become the greek god of cosplay you need to eat extremely strict. that's completely up to you though, and you'll be able to get by decently with a relaxed diet.

in terms of motivation i used to get lethargic as fuarrk and I keep losing motivation all the time. just going online posting about it or changing up my routine every 3 months really helps to keep me in the loop.

and keep us posted with those progress pics man... n-no homo :3
sexytime10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #9
MonkeyToe

Thanks for those tips. Usually my diet is pretty under control so I think I can manage. I have been waiting to post the progress pictures until this weekend because I want to take a picture in a specific shirt. I have a photo of me in my profile wearing a Green Lantern Tee and I want to put that back on for a picture this weekend for comparison.
Unread 07-29-2013, 11:27 AM   #10
MonkeyToe

So it has been a little while since I have checked in on my thread but the weight loss and working out has continued. I started at 249 pounds on the year and last Friday I weighed in at 213 lbs. Quite a difference. Sometime this week I am going to take a picture and post it here for a reference on the difference it has made. Here is a picture of me when I weighed 249 lbs.

Last edited by MonkeyToe : 07-29-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Unread 07-29-2013, 12:11 PM   #11
Ilafatyu
That guy

That's a sizable drop, nice. Looking forward to the comparison.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (uniform - RWBY) - 35%
Connie (SnK) - 1%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 12:18 PM   #12
MonkeyToe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilafatyu View Post
That's a sizable drop, nice. Looking forward to the comparison.
Thanks! It has been quite a process. Is the picture in my previous post showing up? I'm not seeing it myself.

Ah nevermind, fixed it.

Last edited by MonkeyToe : 07-29-2013 at 02:04 PM.