Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 04-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #1
Redith

Unhappy Monster Hunter cosplay. help?!

So I am doing a monster hunter costume for a anime con. My problem is now that I have someone making me a huge switch axe I don't know where to start with my costume. I am not thinking about doing any particular set (Rath, Kirin, or whatever) but I don't want to just put on any generic armor. I am trying to do a costume that looks like it could be in the game. I am not a huge costume sewer so this would mostly be a mix and match different ideas, but I do craft some of my other stuff. Any suggestions where to start?
Redith is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

What sort of skills, tools, and workspace do you have?

Are you looking to make it mostly fabric with a few bits of armor, or mostly armor with a little bit of fabric pieces underneath?

You can make armor out of cardboard, foam (insulation foam, canned spray foam, or craft foam) and paper mache. This is usually within the grasp of novices. But don't underestimate the amount of time it will take to put it all together - design, assembly, drying time, painting, more drying time. It'll take three times as long as you expect.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
Redith

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
What sort of skills, tools, and workspace do you have?

Are you looking to make it mostly fabric with a few bits of armor, or mostly armor with a little bit of fabric pieces underneath?

You can make armor out of cardboard, foam (insulation foam, canned spray foam, or craft foam) and paper mache. This is usually within the grasp of novices. But don't underestimate the amount of time it will take to put it all together - design, assembly, drying time, painting, more drying time. It'll take three times as long as you expect.
Most of my costuming involves gluing things to other things and spray paint lol. I hate how 90 percent of Monster hunter cosplay pics I find are either Rathios or Kirin
Unread 04-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

You can check out Junkers Cosplay for construction ideas. He's cosplayed Monster Hunter too, and has some info on weapon and armor builds.
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

Ah, Junkers is the one I was trying to remember. He posts here a lot.

I think most of his Monster Hunter armor was sculpted then molded, which is kind of an advanced technique. But he usually has a fair amount of information on other methods of construction.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #6
Redith

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
Ah, Junkers is the one I was trying to remember. He posts here a lot.

I think most of his Monster Hunter armor was sculpted then molded, which is kind of an advanced technique. But he usually has a fair amount of information on other methods of construction.
Ya I saw allot of that guys stuff in searches. Pretty dang cool. His stuff is way out of my league but at least he did something no one else had done and gave me some ideas. My biggest problem is where to start. Like I said I don't plan on doing a particular set, so even if I did know how to make things I wouldn't know what to make. Maybe I should pick a set so at least I have something to focus on.
Unread 04-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #7
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

If you don't have a design in mind, that might be the best place to start. Pick smaller armor pieces, such as a pauldron and bracers. It would also help to make a duct tape dress form, so you can manipulate your materials on something, and knowing that it will/will not fit.

Most people make patterns out of sturdy material (card stock and craft foam work well). That way you can play around with shapes and designs. Speaking of craft foam, it is used in armor building, here's a tutorial. Good luck and hope some of this helps!
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote