Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Anime North

Unread 04-15-2013, 11:27 AM   #16
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Darnit. My boyfriend and I still have a year or two to wait- I turn 24 this december, boyfriend's 25 next spring. We're already starting to feel kinda old.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-15-2013, 12:57 PM   #17
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

I hope I can make it -- as long as it isn't the same time as the Friday night skits. :P
Unread 04-15-2013, 01:17 PM   #18
Nickle4aPickle

About how long does it usually last? :3

I was Serena from Pokemon X/Y (Sat am + pm, the one in the middle!)

POP IDOL DANCE SHOWCASE 2014 EDITION!

Wanna Dance?
Nickle4aPickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 01:53 PM   #19
faithinpoison
www.ridikitty.com

I think I might try and attend this as well. Sounds like fun.
ridikitty.com

2014 convention plans
Costume con 32, Anime North, Con Bravo?, Unplugged Expo, Frostcon?
faithinpoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 02:03 PM   #20
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
Darnit. My boyfriend and I still have a year or two to wait- I turn 24 this december, boyfriend's 25 next spring. We're already starting to feel kinda old.
You should come anyways. This is basically you not a teen anymore and have a sense or adult responsibility to your mentality. The age 25 is just when most people realizes they don't have youger mentality anymore, but it can happen sooner then that.

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #21
MaraSei

I think I will be dragging the husband to this, last year was the only time we didn't go to AN, and it was agony, so we're definitely going to make the most of it this year.
MaraSei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 03:53 PM   #22
erayachi
Elbow Macaroni Destroyer

Well, I'm old enough. I'll be 26 and my fiance 30, but other than the 'mature mentality' aspect, what makes this meeting different than other events happening at the same time? What happens at a 25+ meetup? (I've asked myself the same question over the past few years of AN, actually...)

If it involves alcohol, we will pass. My alcohol tolerance is zero; I get hangovers just looking at wine bottles.
Unread 04-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #23
Pasiphilo
Life Imitating Art

I'm in! I had fun last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erayachi View Post
...other than the 'mature mentality' aspect... What happens at a 25+ meetup? If it involves alcohol, we will pass.
It's just a social dinner gathering. I don't think you'd feel out of place at all not drinking.

And to those interpreting the "25+" as an absolute age restriction, I wouldn't. I'm not the organizer, of course, so I may be corrected here, but I interpret the "25+" in this case as simply a way of setting expectations about the general maturity level of attendees. Besides, as DireKitty has already said, no one actually checks your age.

So you under-25's can stop outing yourselves.
Pasiphilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #24
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickle4aPickle View Post
About how long does it usually last? :3
Ah, usually close to midnight I think. We don't really have a set end time, so some people may stay later. Jack's closes at 2am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasiphilo View Post
I'm in! I had fun last year.

It's just a social dinner gathering. I don't think you'd feel out of place at all not drinking.

And to those interpreting the "25+" as an absolute age restriction, I wouldn't. I'm not the organizer, of course, so I may be corrected here, but I interpret the "25+" in this case as simply a way of setting expectations about the general maturity level of attendees. Besides, as DireKitty has already said, no one actually checks your age.

So you under-25's can stop outing yourselves.
Yeah, it's not an absolute age restriction. Most people will be over 25. Last year I think the youngest was 23 - which is totally fine too. It's mainly a place for us somewhat older folk to meet other older folk and have a good time. Anime conventions are typically filled with people who are 21 and under, so it's nice to meet some people your own age.

...and it is a social late outing. Some people have food, others have appetizers and some people drink. Really just a social thing for the older crowd.

Anime North Reddit Community

Last edited by DireKitty : 04-15-2013 at 04:45 PM.
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #25
erayachi
Elbow Macaroni Destroyer

Oooh, lovely. I'll bring this up with my little group in that case; we'll probably be exhausted by the time this starts and will be happy for a place to sit and talk with fellow young adults. xD I get why the 25+ now...if I were 16 or 17, I probably would rather be doing something else at a convention when topics such as our 2012 tax returns, kids, nieces, nephews, careers, and demonic car insurance collectors are brought up. And the comparisons on how many grey-or-silver hairs we each have (incidentally, I have at least 4 more than aforementioned fiance, who may or may not be going bald).

Normally our AN trips are 'just wing it!' without any set plan, but I'll start with this.
Unread 04-15-2013, 05:03 PM   #26
Nickle4aPickle

Awesome, thanks for the info and explanations everyone! ^__^ I'll mention this to my group. :3

I was Serena from Pokemon X/Y (Sat am + pm, the one in the middle!)

POP IDOL DANCE SHOWCASE 2014 EDITION!

Wanna Dance?
Nickle4aPickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #27
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by erayachi View Post
Oooh, lovely. I'll bring this up with my little group in that case; we'll probably be exhausted by the time this starts and will be happy for a place to sit and talk with fellow young adults. xD I get why the 25+ now...if I were 16 or 17, I probably would rather be doing something else at a convention when topics such as our 2012 tax returns, kids, nieces, nephews, careers, and demonic car insurance collectors are brought up. And the comparisons on how many grey-or-silver hairs we each have (incidentally, I have at least 4 more than aforementioned fiance, who may or may not be going bald).

Normally our AN trips are 'just wing it!' without any set plan, but I'll start with this.
Yeah its a good end to the first day, just some relaxing conversation.

.. and yes, careers, university (grad school) / college, getting older - why turning 30 isn't "that bad" etc etc. lol ...

If you are bringing a group let me know how many you expect. This year i'm booking for 30 people regardless, but if you have a few people with me I may book for more.

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #28
Grimmjow99

if age restriction is isn't a big deal you can count me and my sister in.
Grimmjow99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 11:12 PM   #29
Miliyah

not sure how many in my particular group atm; although we were planning on going around the same time as you lot.
although i have yet to discuss this with anyone. derp.
Unread 04-15-2013, 11:24 PM   #30
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Looks like I have Friday night spoken for anyway, but I'll be trying to make 2014's for sure. Good to know it's not STRICT 25+.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote