Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 04-14-2013, 12:32 AM   #1
xKilz0r

Beginners guide to running

I'll start this off with a little bit of a speech about how, and why, running can benefit just about anyone. I was on my school's cross country, and track team for years. There was this one kid who was on the team, who was a bit overweight, and as you expect the team would crack jokes at him from time to time. One day I approached him after he got into a bit of an argument with a few of the other guys, and I asked him if he wanted to get revenge. The moment he heard the word 'revenge' he jumped right up, and said "yes". Little did he know, that I had a better way to go about the whole 'revenge' thing, than he thought. After the normal team practice, i'd have him come over to my house, to do a separate workout, that was more personalized for his needs as a runner. I won't get into exact details of the workout program, that I had him on to keep this as short as possible. So moving on, we continued this program for about 6 months, and it was spring track time. He didn't actually join the team until later in the season, until after we finished his program. He joined the team 40lbs lighter, more toned, more defined, and a hell of a lot faster. I then had him talk to the coach to have him run the 1600m dash(1 Mile) race, because the guys who bullied him specialized in that race. From the time the gun shot, to the time he crossed the finish line, he was in first place. He finished the race in 4 minutes 48 seconds(his old PB being 7:05). He beat the guys who bullied him by more 15 seconds. They walked away shocked, dumbfounded, and with their heads down in disgrace, and defeat. It was a beautiful sight, and there were no words that needed to be said. To this day he is still a very good friend of mine, and an avid runner.

Now onto my beginners guide. This guide will work for just about anyone, and a final note before I begin, make sure that you have a good pair of running shoes. Have them fitted by someone who knows what they're talking about, don't just buy the coolest looking pair. Be sure to replace them every 6 months, as well.

To start off....

Sunday - Off
Monday - 30 minutes
Tuesday - Off
Wednesday - 45 minutes
Thursday - 30 Minutes
Friday - Off
Saturday - 45 minutes

Do that routine for about 3-4 weeks and make sure you run for exact amount of time specified, and REMEMBER TO PACE YOURSELF. This is not the olympics people. Make sure to keep your back straight, your chest pumped out(for better oxygen intake), and for the love of god, don't take a break. The idea is to work up a sweat, and push yourself. That may sound a little hardcore, but you'll thank me later.

Now after about 3-4 weeks, you'll be ready to add a 5th day onto your schedule, so do this.

Sunday - Off
Monday - 45 minutes
Tuesday - 45 Minutes
Wednesday - Off
Thursday - 60 minutes
Friday - 45 Minutes
Saturday - 30 minutes

So after you do this for about another month you should be pretty well conditioned, and ready to take the final step which is...

Sunday - Off
Monday - 60 minutes
Tuesday - 60 minutes
Wednesday - 45 minutes
Thursday - 60 Minutes
Friday - Off
Saturday - 75 minutes

Now after you get into this final beginner schedule, you can just keep going on with it, OR you can move up to an advanced level, which i'll have up within the next week or so. Also I am willing to type up more personalized schedules, for both the advanced, and beginners. You can private message me for the details. I will require a bit information on height, weight, and gender. Also... this isn't necessary, but it does help, information if you have a condition like for example, asthma, or anything that could potentially put you at risk, or disadvantage. As a final note to close this out, I can help out with diets too, if you want to go that extra mile.

I really hope this helps at least one person. Feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks for reading!
xKilz0r is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #2
Arbite
Shut up and move!

Thoughts on barefoot technique?
Arbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
xKilz0r

Barefoot is incredibly. It can help you develop a more natural running form, since shoes can restrict the way your feet connect with the ground, which in turn affects the rest of your body. Naturally I only suggest doing it on grass, since pavement, and trails have the risk of possibly cutting your feet open. You can be hardcore about it, and not care, and do it anyways I suppose. I mean look at the Nigerians, and Ethiopans. INCREDIBLE runners. They obviously can't afford shoes, due to their horrible circumstances, and have to run barefoot. If you look at their olympic runners, and pay close attention to their running form, you'll find that it is incredibly smooth and natural, which can lead to less injuries, and better finishing times. The only real downside is possibly hurting your feet. If you know a good place to go do it, then go do it. It's only beneficial, considering that the smallest details in running form can prevent so many potential injuries.
Unread 04-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
Ninbri
omnomnom~♥

Good ideas here, but running for long intervals of time without taking a break can be damaging on your knees. I was told by a lot of people, and a lot of military people, that you should do fast walk and run intervals. You might not lose as much as you want to in the time you are giving, but at the same time, I'd like to have good, healthy knees, too. lol

Next Con: Mechacon
Saturday:
Stewardess Stocking
Sunday:

Facebook: link
DeviantArt: HERE
Ninbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
xKilz0r

Well I can see how it might seem that way. I've been running competitively for 10 years now. I haven't had a single problem, or injury in at least 6 years. It's all due to running form. Your posture, the length of your strides, the shoes you wear... They all contribute to whether, or not, you'll have any problems. Best example that I can give to support my claim is this.

http://www.ultramarathonman.com/web/

This man, and many others like him, all run extreme distances. I mean very very extreme.

350 miles (560 km) in 80 hours and 44 minutes without stopping (2005)
Single-handedly completed "The Relay", a 199-mile (320 km) run from Calistoga to Santa Cruz, eleven times
Ran 3,000 miles (4,800 km) across the United States from Disneyland to New York City in 75 days, running 40 to 50 miles per day, 2011
AND 50 marathons in 50 states on 50 consecutive days

He is lucky enough that his lactic acid build up actually goes DOWN, while he runs, BUT that's literally the only thing that makes him any different from us. Other than the fact that he is 52 years old.
Unread 04-14-2013, 09:44 PM   #6
Arbite
Shut up and move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninbri View Post
Good ideas here, but running for long intervals of time without taking a break can be damaging on your knees. I was told by a lot of people, and a lot of military people, that you should do fast walk and run intervals. You might not lose as much as you want to in the time you are giving, but at the same time, I'd like to have good, healthy knees, too. lol
That ties into barefoot running. Most people strike with the heel, which has no natural shock absorption. Good technique means striking with the mid or front foot, when the toes, foot arch, and calf take nearly all the shock, reducing any knee damage to zero.
Unread 04-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #7
nikkiolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbite View Post
That ties into barefoot running. Most people strike with the heel, which has no natural shock absorption. Good technique means striking with the mid or front foot, when the toes, foot arch, and calf take nearly all the shock, reducing any knee damage to zero.
I love to run but that makes a lot of sense. That fully explains why my calves are sooooo sore after running outside on Tuesday since there is a HUGE hill at the end of my run and when I run up hills its all on the balls of my feet.

What are your guys thoughts on those barefoot shoes? I've been thinking about getting some.

Next cons:
Sakuracon '14
Kumoricon '14
Newcon '14
nikkiolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #8
coralsheep

Jeff Galloway's method is what I prefer. Basically, for long distance runs, you do 1 minute running, 1 minute walking - or whatever interval you can complete easily.

Walking is pretty essential for new runners, especially if they carry a little extra weight.

Last thing I'll say: stretching, warm up, and cool downs need to be included in all running plans. Take extra care in heat or cold. And, getting fit for proper running shoes is going to make a world of difference for everyone and eliminates many possible injuries.

Planned:
Disney's Alice (MNSSHP'13)
King Boo (EVO 2k)

Last edited by coralsheep : 04-26-2013 at 12:56 PM.
coralsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 11:13 PM   #9
Arbite
Shut up and move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiolie View Post
I love to run but that makes a lot of sense. That fully explains why my calves are sooooo sore after running outside on Tuesday since there is a HUGE hill at the end of my run and when I run up hills its all on the balls of my feet.

What are your guys thoughts on those barefoot shoes? I've been thinking about getting some.
I've got a pair of vibrams that I love for jogging and some NB Minimus for trail runs. When I'm training however, I use either my Onitsuka Tiger ultimate 81's, or Dunlop volley's. I used to go completely barefoot until I had a run in with a large shard of glass.

Start slow, alternate a few minutes of running with walking. Your calves WILL be sore if you are landing properly, so it takes some adjusting. But is well worth it. Plus your feet just feel freer when not inclosed by 3 inches of foam and padding.
Unread 05-10-2013, 10:04 PM   #10
Cyanna
Yarrrrn Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralsheep View Post
Jeff Galloway's method is what I prefer. Basically, for long distance runs, you do 1 minute running, 1 minute walking - or whatever interval you can complete easily.

Walking is pretty essential for new runners, especially if they carry a little extra weight.
"Little extra weight" is a bit of an understatement for me.

I started out with and finished C25K but I dropped out of the 10K variant in favor of doing run/walk intervals exclusively. It was starting to hurt...and not in that "no pain no gain" way. I actually DO get better times doing the Galloway than running 30 minutes straight. I feel better too.

I'm lot going to lie, my only critique of this guide (if it is one because there is nothing actually WRONG about it) is that I think we have two different ideas as to what a "beginner" is. You may be thinking of average joe who plays baseball every now and then just starting to get into running. I'm thinking of someone who doesn't do any regular exercise at all and hasn't done on a looooong time. I've only been at this since 2010 with NO previous running experience so I still remember that trauma.

I had to do Week 1 of C25K* three times and Week 2** twice before I felt ready to follow the rest of the schedule. There were just so many things I needed to learn to do (breathing and avoiding nasty shin splints) before I could think about going for any more than that. Since I carry a lot, I also have to worry about not increasing my time/mileage too much too fast prevent stress fractures. It would probably take me a few weeks just to be able to get to the point where I could start this plan. But for someone who is ready for it I think it's perfectly sound. Again it comes down to "what is a beginner?".

I think it's really important to tell a beginning runner to always strive to improve but accept yourself as you are, at the speed you are. The "moment of truth" for me was at my first 5K. After all that training to run 30 minutes straight I thought I finally put those traumatic ghosts of grade school behind me. I thought after successfully completing a program used by so many other people, I thought I'd finally be closer to average then before. The gun goes off. I start running...and the wave of people just go off and leave me behind. I came third to last. There wasn't even any water or gator/powerade left when I crossed the finish. I actually stopped running for 2 months after that I felt so ashamed. But now that the shock of that event is over I accept my slowness. I let the wave of people go by and focus on my own race. And I'm a happier runner for it.

Running is not defined as a speed. It's an action where you are moving faster than your walk with springing steps so that both feet are off the ground for a split second. 5min/mile and 15min/mile can all be "running" depending on the person who is doing it. You are NOT to slow to start.

Oh....wow...where did that soapbox come from... *steps down*

Taking up running really is the best thing I've ever done for myself. I recommend it to anyone.

*(60/90 sec. Run-walk ratio for 20 minutes, three times a week)
**(90/120 sec. Run-walk ratio for 20 minutes, three times a week)

Next conventions: Anime Next, Otakon
Currently working on (commission): Mabel Pines "music note" (Gravity Falls)
Currently working on (personal): Fem!Pacha (The Emperor's New Groove)
Cyanna is offline   Reply With Quote