Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-14-2013, 04:09 PM   #151
nikkiolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roses-and-red View Post
Anyone have any recommendations on what product to use to paint the 3D gear? I'm at a lost of what kind of "silver" it should be
I used spray paint but it has been so warm and humid here that it wasn't going on properly. I ended up using it as a base and just using acrylic over the top to give everything a nice smooth look.

It all depends on what you are using as your reference. In the manga everything is pretty much silver, but in the anime the scabbard are a green/browish color with black or darker detailing and silver on the gas cans.

Next cons:
Sakuracon '14
Kumoricon '14
Newcon '14
nikkiolie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-15-2013, 12:25 AM   #152
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

Does anyone have advice for the cloak? I want to make a couple since there's talk of having the SNK shoot at Katsucon outside. I feel like it would be a circle with a bit of overlap so it close and a hood.

And what materials would you guys suggest? I need something cheap and thick enough for a bit of added warmth.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:54 AM   #153
nikkiolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySiren View Post
Does anyone have advice for the cloak? I want to make a couple since there's talk of having the SNK shoot at Katsucon outside. I feel like it would be a circle with a bit of overlap so it close and a hood.

And what materials would you guys suggest? I need something cheap and thick enough for a bit of added warmth.
Not too sure on the pattern but I think a wool type material would look good, or just a cotton twill.

Next cons:
Sakuracon '14
Kumoricon '14
Newcon '14
Unread 08-15-2013, 06:31 PM   #154
What-the-Spork
Uninspired

Quote:

Personally, I'm using a cotton broad cloth- (which i'm going to line with a satin-like fabric-) It would probably be warm enough and is relatively cheap c:
What-the-Spork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 07:22 PM   #155
VampirePickle
Because I naughty naughty

Just gonna casually jump in here :'D
I'm going to be cosplaying Eren and Levi next year! (Too short for Eren, too tall for Levi so COSPLAY THEM BOTH OHOHO) I already ordered their wigs and Levi's was shipped :3 I also have my friend being Mikasa and Hanji to match <333
Celes (Dangan Ronpa) /In progress/
Yuno (Mirai Nikki) /In progress/
Anime North:
Undecided
Conbravo:
Undecided
Unplugged Expo:
Undecided
VampirePickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #156
Naiagu
That one cosplayer

I just started watching the show recently and I looove it. I had plans to do Mikasa for Fanime but thats falling through as I will be in Hawaii instead. Anyway, I have ideas about making the 3D gear and I want to get opinions on it. I was thinking of making it with cardboard and foam to reduce weight but I'm not sure that'll work. What have people on here used?
Sayaka (Puella Magi).......Progress 5%
Haruhi (OHSHC)..............Progress 100%
Ruby (RWBY).................Progress 80%

Cons for 2014:
Sac Anime Winter, AOD, NorCal Gathering Spring, Kraken Spring, EBRC Picnic, Sac Anime Summer, NorCal Gathering Summer, Yaoi Con, Japan EXPO, Jtown Magical Girls Gathering, Kraken Winter

Contact me: Tumblr, DA, FB Fan Page, Skype: Naiagu
Naiagu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #157
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by What-the-Spork View Post
Personally, I'm using a cotton broad cloth- (which i'm going to line with a satin-like fabric-) It would probably be warm enough and is relatively cheap c:
The cotton broadcloth at JoAnn's tends to be really light and flimsy and thin. Are there just other varieties that I'm not aware of?

Unread 08-15-2013, 10:09 PM   #158
Cameron1138
Kingslayer

Finished my 3D maneuver gear! I was originally going to make it out of foam and paint it, but since I've never worked with foam before I didn't want to take on something that big and potentially costly this late in the summer. Instead I just made it out of cardboard and other stuff like that and used duct tape.

Crappy selfie of me wearing it
Overview with bonus kitty
Swords (these were the most fun part to make)
Gas engine/exhaust/cable reel thingy (making this part was super tedious)
Closeup/front view of the scabbards

My jacket and cloak also came today. I got them for quite a low price (total was less than $60 including shipping!) from a new eBay seller. It was a bit of a gamble, but they had good feedback, so I figured it was safe. The quality is actually really nice! They're nicely lined and everything.

Selfie with jacket
Selfie with jacket and cloak

I ordered 8 belts for about $3 from a Chinese eBay seller, which I'm going to use to make the harness. Once that's done, all I'll have to do is the jabot (going to make that once my desk is clear enough, already got material for it) and that skirt thing and buy some boot covers and a white shirt and pair of white pants.

In progress: Booker Dewitt (Bioshock Infinite) - 90%; Steampunk'd Han Solo (Star Wars) - 98%; Connor Kenway (Assassin's Creed III) - 30%; Max Rockatansky (Mad Max series) - 35%; Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier (Captain America: TWS) - planning

Future: Mal Reynolds (improved), Jaime Lannister (GoT)
Cameron1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 11:19 PM   #159
palmtree_freak
Not freaky for palmtrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiagu View Post
I just started watching the show recently and I looove it. I had plans to do Mikasa for Fanime but thats falling through as I will be in Hawaii instead. Anyway, I have ideas about making the 3D gear and I want to get opinions on it. I was thinking of making it with cardboard and foam to reduce weight but I'm not sure that'll work. What have people on here used?
I used foam board which I get at Hobby Lobby for about 6 dollars for a GIANT sheet of it. I use it for a lot of weapons/props I make since it's super light weight and you can cut diagonal edges and sand it (good for swords).

My boxes came out to be only about 2 pounds each.

Side
Back
palmtree_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 09:44 AM   #160
nikkiolie

A few people were asking how I made my gear (mainly on facebook but w/e) So I wrote up a quick tutorial and posted some progress pictures on my facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=6935248145

Next cons:
Sakuracon '14
Kumoricon '14
Newcon '14
Unread 08-16-2013, 10:32 AM   #161
palmtree_freak
Not freaky for palmtrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiolie View Post
A few people were asking how I made my gear (mainly on facebook but w/e) So I wrote up a quick tutorial and posted some progress pictures on my facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=6935248145
This is an awesome tutorial! Haven't seen one for the manga version yes so I'm sure this will be super helpful to everyone.
palmtree_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 03:37 PM   #162
LinkPwnsGanon
Queen Mikasa Scarf Face

Started the series not that long ago! I want to cosplay as both Mikasa and Sasha in the future but until then, since my little niece and little nephew also watch the series I'm gonna cosplay as Eren's mother when they cosplay as the children versions of Eren and Mikasa!

W.I.P:
Queen Mikasa - Attack on Titan 15%
Wings of Counterattack!Mikasa - AoT 25%
Poison Ivy - Batman 40%
Sailor Pluto - Sailor Moon 70%
Judy Skellington - Nightmare before Christmas 10%
Planned:
Black Canary - DC Bombshell
Nonon Jakuzure - Kill La Kill
LinkPwnsGanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 09:32 AM   #163
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

I thought you guys would appreciate this. I got bored last night and did some Female Titan makeup. I added captions for maximum ridiculousness. My friend and I also decided that we have to have a titan themed Halloween party.

http://galactic-kat.tumblr.com/post/...-earlier-click

I wish some of the other details showed up more. I did some shading with black and purple shadows, especially on the eyes, and I did some red marks all over to look like the different striations in the muscle.

Unread 08-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #164
nikkiolie

I got a few test shots of Sasha this past weekend. I posted them in my gallery today. I still need to fix a few things before con next weekend. I need to hem the sleeves and add a new hole for my belt so I can wear it lower :P

Next cons:
Sakuracon '14
Kumoricon '14
Newcon '14
Unread 08-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #165
What-the-Spork
Uninspired

Quote:
The cotton broadcloth at JoAnn's tends to be really light and flimsy and thin. Are there just other varieties that I'm not aware of?
I got mine from joanns and I'd say it's relatively heavy- if you line the cape it will definitely be heavy enough
It could be he difference in opinion though so I don't know :/ sorry if it doesn't help
What-the-Spork is offline   Reply With Quote