Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 03-17-2004, 12:27 PM   #1
Rel
We're all mad here....

Mystique skin colouring

For Mystique's skin could anyone give me some hints on the kind of thing it would be best to use? Especially considering the woman's love for white (Evil Marvel I *swear* they did that on purpose....)

Unread 03-17-2004, 12:50 PM   #2
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

You might consider using a bodysuit (airbrushed with shadows etc. to look like skin and then just paint your face. It would cut down on the staining problem...^_^

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2004, 09:26 PM   #3
Ruby-Chan
super duper silly cat

i suggest body paint liquid latex (if you have no allergies to latex). you can use body polish to make it shiny (like pvc vinyl) or body dust to make it shimmery. i wear liquid latex at fetish parties all the time. i love the stuff.

Last edited by Ruby-Chan : 03-18-2004 at 09:35 PM.
Ruby-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2004, 10:24 PM   #4
Hanyaan
at paranoia's poison door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasm-hime
You might consider using a bodysuit (airbrushed with shadows etc. to look like skin and then just paint your face. It would cut down on the staining problem...^_^
Yes. Listen to Sarcasm-hime. Do NOT use cheapo blue body paint. The results aren't good and you might end up with a massive allergic reaction (like what happened to me). If you have to use body paint, use Ben Nye paint with sealer. And if possible use blue tights on your legs. ^^;;
Unread 03-21-2004, 09:42 AM   #5
Ragresen
Dazed and Confused

I have heard of someone air brushing on a type of makeup that works well, but I am not sure where to get it or if it exists. I honestly think that Mystique is likely one of the hardest characters to do just because of the whole blue skin thing. For my Jrock and Halre costume's I use anoil based makeup by Mehron. Only complaint I had is at the end of he day the powder sealer used really made it all get dry looking to me. Removeing it was easy with the use of some Dawn Liquid dishwase soap. I use it because it is easy on the skin and has a degreaser in it.

The Kozi Cosplayer!
Ragresen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2004, 01:52 PM   #6
Cat-chan
<3 Vidoll!

My good friend did both Captain Planet and Shep from the Daft Punk videos (they're both completely blue ^^), so I can advise you based on how we did his stuff. Like they said before, if it's possible to get a body suit, do so. A suggestion is to check out gymnastics/dancing stores to find a full-body leotard type thing and then dye it. If that doesn't work, you can dye nylons and put them over your arms and legs at least. As for the face, you should use high quality face paints, like the others said. Good luck!
Cat-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2004, 06:57 PM   #7
kitsunered

Depends on your complexion and how blue you want to get.

I've done a full body blue skinned character before, and had I had the money for a bodysuit I would've done it. However, I'm poor, so I instead used Ben Nye water-based cake makeup. It looked great, and after sealing the color with setting powder and hairspray, lasted for hours. However it definitely rubs off on your clothes. So my suggestion would be to go for the bodysuit on your arms and legs, and use the Ben Nye on your face.

I was supposed to be a sea elf for my character (it's a LARP thing), but had red hair at the time and didn't think about what the red/blue combination would look like. People kept calling me Mystique all weekend. *facepalms*

-K

Costumes for 2007: Ran (Texhnolyze), She-Ra (She-Ra: Princess of Power), Marie's Black Masquerade Gown (Sofia Coppola's Marie Antionette), EGA Plum Walking Suit (Original Design)

Cons for 2007: Katsucon (tentative), Animazement (tentative), MomoCon, Dragon*Con, Anime Weekend Atlanta
kitsunered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2004, 07:36 PM   #8
SMoogle
boys suck.

I've been playing with my airbrush for makeup a lot lately, and if you can get ahold of one, I would DEFINITELY recomend it!!!! I've been using Mehron liquid makeup, thinned it down a little. It looks like perfectly real skin, and doesnt smear off on anything once you seal it with either a setting spray, or hair spray. Only problem is, it's not waterproof AT ALL, so dont get caught in the rain. As for body suits, they really dont have a realistic effect. Comfortable, yes, but its really hard to match makeup color to a bodysuit color.

a good idea might also be to try a combination of the airbrush makeup with the liquid latex. Ruby-Chan was right, it really is great. only problem with that is you have to stand there without touching anything for like 15 minutes to make sure its completely dry, otherwise even if you powder seal it, it will still stick to itself. The reason i say try a combo, is to get some of her 3D scale looking skin. you'd have to apply the liquid makeup first, because it wont stick on top of the latex. If you have any questions, i've been playing with makeup for a long time, so please ask!

Kitsune-red - which larp?? I used to play NERO, and saw a bunch of really good looking sea-elves there.... maybe you were one of them?
Unread 03-22-2004, 12:57 AM   #9
Kokuu
Armed and Dangerous

If you decide to apply makeup or the liquid latex all over your face or body, I recommend putting on this product called dermashield on before, since I know that myself, and a lot of other people are allergic to stage makeup and liquid latex. It's like this mousse that you put on your skin before you put on makeup, and it acts as protection, so the makeup won't irritate your skin. Just my two cents.
Kokuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2004, 02:08 PM   #10
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMoogle
As for body suits, they really dont have a realistic effect. Comfortable, yes, but its really hard to match makeup color to a bodysuit color.
I dunno, I've seen some really good bodysuit costumes. It all depends on how well you airbrush it to add shadows and definition. If it's all one flat colour it'll look fake, but with the right shading it can look quite realistic. Also, you can get away with a lot more if it's in an unnatural colour. We're used to seeing people flesh-coloured, so small inconsistencies/irregularities are noticeable. But when a person is a colour that we're not used to seeing on people, we tend not to notice things that would otherwise be obvious.

It's sort of like how you notice little flaws in CGI more easily if the character/object is supposed to look human...we see people all the time so we can recognise errors.

4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

Unread 03-23-2004, 07:56 PM   #11
kitsunered

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMoogle
Kitsune-red - which larp?? I used to play NERO, and saw a bunch of really good looking sea-elves there.... maybe you were one of them?
Yeah, that's the one. I play NERO in the Atlanta chapter. I haven't played the sea elf in well over a year, though.

-K

Costumes for 2007: Ran (Texhnolyze), She-Ra (She-Ra: Princess of Power), Marie's Black Masquerade Gown (Sofia Coppola's Marie Antionette), EGA Plum Walking Suit (Original Design)

Cons for 2007: Katsucon (tentative), Animazement (tentative), MomoCon, Dragon*Con, Anime Weekend Atlanta
kitsunered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2004, 08:51 PM   #12
SMoogle
boys suck.

oooh, i was from the ATL chapter too! though i havnt played in two or three years. I was a MWE named fiona. black corset, red dress, black hair? I didnt play long, so you probly wouldnt remember me.

Sorry off topic.
anyway, Sarcasm, i know what you mean about noticing flaws in things you see all the time. I just dont like the look of the wrist and neck lines of bodysuits. Even if you can match the color, there's still an obvious line that sometimes is really visable with some costumes
Unread 03-24-2004, 03:51 AM   #13
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

One idea to get around that would be to conceal the wrist line with bracelets if the character wears them...or sew the bodysuit with gloves included. To get around the neck line you could extend the neck up to just under the chin and over the head (under your wig)...of course this is if you're making the bodysuit yourself. ^_^

Unread 03-24-2004, 07:53 AM   #14
Maki
Kinpatsu no Senshi

Definately go with a bodysuit. Thats what I used for my Shiva (FF8) costume, and it worked really well. Yes, you do have a neckline and wristline, but in pictures it honestly doesn't look that bad and isn't all that noticeable. If you make sure the neck comes all the way up to your chin and you make gloves, you really can't see the line that much. Instead of sewing the gloves into the bodysuit, I dyed a pair of gloves and attached them with snaps (which were hidden underneath the sleeve). That way if you have to eat or something, you can take them off and you don't have to worry about messing up your costume. If you're doing the version of mystique with the white dress, it has a turtleneck anyway, so you wont see a neckline. The white boots and gloves will cover both the ankle and wrist lines ^^v

as for makeup for your face and neck, I'd visit a costume shop and get a water based makeup. When I get home, I can check the brand of mine if you'd like. They come in a lot of colors, and you should definately be able to match up mystique's skin. You may have to mix some various shades and experiement a little, but it shouldn't be too hard. ^^
Maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2004, 10:52 AM   #15
ChicoChan
Pimp Named Slickback

yeah i agree bodysuit all the way ^_^
i did mystique, but it was a joke costume, it's all photoshopped :P hehehehehehehhehehehehe

DON'T PANIC.

Queen Riot! on FacebookDeviantArtCureACParadiseTumblr
ChicoChan is offline   Reply With Quote