Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 04-17-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
Yo-Yo
I Love Lamp

Eye Makeup + Liquid Latex?

So, I've been dying to do a Harpie Lady cosplay. Her skin's a sort of sickly powder blue, and I thought that liquid latex would be a cool alternative to makeup that'll smear and need touch ups. I was wondering, if I use liquid latex to cover my face and make it blue, how do I apply my regular eye makeup? Will it stick to the slick surface, or do I have to leave my eye space open?

Thanks guys

Unread 04-18-2013, 01:49 AM   #2
Kelley
Devil of Details

I'd just try it on a patch of skin or as a full test-run and see what happens. Depending on the character liquid latex in itself may or may not look right (and remember that even if you're a girl you would need to shave every area you apply it to or it will rip out all the little fine, nearly-invisible hairs).

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #3
Yo-Yo
I Love Lamp

Yuck. D: I'll get a small amount and go from there, I guess.
I just don't want paint smearing all over me. Powder does a good job keeping it in place, but it sounds like such a pain to reapply all day.
Unread 04-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
Xaila
*hoardes makeup forever*

Insert another option!

When you're using something like face/body paint to do full work, a sealer like Ben Nye's Final Seal can help. Here's the (sadly) only surviving photo of me as on Orion StarFleet officer:

My arms/legs from shoulders/hips down and my head from cleavage up was coated in green paints and shimmer powder, with two layers of Final Seal on my skin before painting, and then two layers of Final Seal after painting. Only my hands faded (due to hygeine of washing after bathroom) after a long day in SanDiego.

So there's another option for ya to chew on as well.
Xaila is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
Yo-Yo
I Love Lamp

I think that that'd be my best bet. That way I can use darker blues to substitute for light browns for facial makeup and I don't have to worry about latex looking strange.
The sealer works pretty well, and luckily my costume will need claws instead of hands so I don't need to worry about them in photos.

I think that that may be the way to go.
Unread 04-19-2013, 03:38 AM   #6
Kelley
Devil of Details

Liquid latex tends to look lumpy and plasticy even if well done, check out this page : http://www.cosplaysupplies.com/tutor...tex_Body_Paint (contains some naked breasts covered in latex, just sayin').

Here's someone pulling it off a bit to give you an idea : http://a2.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/i...c77db175/l.jpg

I've heard good things about alcohol-activated body paint and it's probably what my friends will use because they will have to do some body painting for their costumes.

Also, depending on the costume itself a body suit can look just as good or even better. I've seen some great Cortona body paint for example - but the bodysuits that are well made look great and take literally seconds to put on - and blow away costumes where the body-paint wasn't well-applied.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #7
AshofRebirth

There's also PAX, which is similar to the concept of Liquid Latex.
But, I'd only recommend it if you reallyreallyREALLY need this stuff to last long. I heard it's a royal pain to take off xD (But that's both a blessing and a curse)

I support Loose Cannons Props! And you should too!
AshofRebirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 07:50 PM   #8
Rukeya

I don't know if you've used body paint in the past, but if you apply it correctly you shouldn't have issues with it sliding off or around your face (unless you can't keep your hands off.)

As a poster mentioned above, you can keep grease paint from smearing if you apply a sealant liberally. The only issues I've had with grease is that my face tends to get super shiny after a couple hours.

I use water based makeup with grease around the eyes and several layers of final seal. Water based stuff is pretty damn drying, so you likely won't get shiny but if you have sensitive skin or your face sweats.. it won't be the best choice.

I also don't recommend PAX on the face. Even if your skin could handle it, you're going to look like a freakish scaly lizard thing (it'll stretch and bunch up in high motion areas.)
Rukeya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 08:02 PM   #9
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

god pax is a nightmare....... i have a cosplay friend who it took 3 hours to take it off and what she couldnt get off (she gave up on her ankles and had to go somewhere) she ended up having for like a week before she could get it off
also pax should NEVER be used on the face! if it gets near your eyes or in your mouth its toxic!
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote