Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 04-18-2013, 02:16 AM   #1
Narnie

Question Can you Dye glasses?

I'm trying to finish the last piece to my cosplay and I need blue lenses on some glasses.

These are the glasses I'm using.

I had bought a pair before, and my mom had some stained glass paint. So I put it on, trying to be careful and even, but in the end the result is very bumpy and uneven in terms of color. So I just bought a new pair to work with, and this time hopefully it will work.

Is there a better way to dye my lenses into a blue at home? They aren't prescription lenses so there isn't much point in taking them to a shop, plus I'm sure it's an unusual color so they may not have it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Narnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
Cattibalistic

My friend cosplays a character with blue and red lensed glasses, so I've got some ideas... You could probably use clear contact paper (a type of sticky, yet removable shelf liner), cut it into the shape of the lenses, and color it the proper shade of blue. I checked online if it came in a translucent blue and I didn't see it, unfortunately...
Cattibalistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

The stained glass paint is honestly what I would have recommended. The reason it comes out uneven is because of the technique applying it, not the paint itself. If the paint is fresh it is much more liquidy - I've noticed that tends to thicken over time and become harder to spread.

I like to put a few drops on the lens and roll it around to let the paint spread naturally, without a brush. If the paint is too goopy, it will take more of it in the application process and then, when the whole lens is coated, tipping it and letting it rest in such a way that any excess will either run off or collect on a edge that won't be seen - you can't just throw paint on it, then lay it flat to dry. You have to let it dry in a position that will allow gravity to work for you, rather than against you. Or, you could conceivably stand there and keep tilting the glasses every which way to keep the liquid paint flowing smoothly until it finally dries, but even I don't have time for that.

Colored cellophane used to be as common as pipe cleaners in craft stores, but it's been years since I've seen any anywhere. I would love to just turn to colored cellophane to color clear glass and plastic, but the stuff doesn't seem to exist anymore. I've also heard of prop and armor builders swearing by transluscent films from auto detailing shops, but that can be really expensive, especially for just a pair of glasses. Stained glass paint is the cheapest and easiest to find. But, if you can find cellophane, give it a shot! And then tell us where to find it, because I'd love to have a ready stash of cellophane for the odd prop and costume job.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 11:52 PM   #4
Somethingducky

Try looking for blue headlight tint. It's what people use to tint their car headlights, much cheaper than buying a roll of window tint. My fiance (a real car nut) once used a paint on product from Japan to tint his headlights pink, but I can't seem to find the product online, but a Google search pulled up the vinyl roll type.
Unread 04-22-2013, 08:42 AM   #5
Boreotheria
n00b

I wonder if there's a sprayable version of a similar paint. If there is, that would get you a more even coating than brushed paint. Check out arts and crafts stores for sprayable transparent tints and paints.

(EDIT: Krylon makes spray-on stained glass colour.
http://www.krylon.com/products/stained_glass_color/ )

Even cheap non-prescription glasses tend to have the frames screwed together. You can get a precision screwdriver in a glasses repair kit at a drugstore for a few bucks. Take them apart at the temples, put the frames aside, and follow the paint instructions to carefully spray the lenses on one or both sides. (I'm guessing you'll only need to do the front side.) Try not to get paint on the edges because those need to fit back into the frames. You might want to mask the edges with tape or some other kind of peel-off preparation before you paint.

If the glasses don't have screws to remove the lenses from the frames, just use masking tape to mask the entire frame assembly without covering any of the lenses. Spray according to instructions, let it dry flat so that the paint doesn't run while it's drying, and when it's dry you can peel off the masking tape and you're done.

Last edited by Boreotheria : 04-22-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Boreotheria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 12:14 AM   #6
Noose

I've used translucent createx acrylic airbrush paint for airbrushing a green tint on clear acrylic sheets.
Noose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 10:52 PM   #7
Narnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsuleCorp View Post
The stained glass paint is honestly what I would have recommended. The reason it comes out uneven is because of the technique applying it, not the paint itself. If the paint is fresh it is much more liquidy - I've noticed that tends to thicken over time and become harder to spread.

I like to put a few drops on the lens and roll it around to let the paint spread naturally, without a brush. If the paint is too goopy, it will take more of it in the application process and then, when the whole lens is coated, tipping it and letting it rest in such a way that any excess will either run off or collect on a edge that won't be seen - you can't just throw paint on it, then lay it flat to dry. You have to let it dry in a position that will allow gravity to work for you, rather than against you. Or, you could conceivably stand there and keep tilting the glasses every which way to keep the liquid paint flowing smoothly until it finally dries, but even I don't have time for that.

Colored cellophane used to be as common as pipe cleaners in craft stores, but it's been years since I've seen any anywhere. I would love to just turn to colored cellophane to color clear glass and plastic, but the stuff doesn't seem to exist anymore. I've also heard of prop and armor builders swearing by transluscent films from auto detailing shops, but that can be really expensive, especially for just a pair of glasses. Stained glass paint is the cheapest and easiest to find. But, if you can find cellophane, give it a shot! And then tell us where to find it, because I'd love to have a ready stash of cellophane for the odd prop and costume job.
I'm trying a rit dye method of tinting lenses that I found on youtube. The lenses the glasses use are polycarbonate or something like that so they're dyeable. I'm using the junk lenses that I used the stained glass stuff on since I came to realize that they became really scratched up somehow, so testing it on those before I use the new ones coming in.

Also the reason I quoted, I looked on ebay, and there were quite a few sellers selling colored cellophane sheets, so if you want you can check them out and start squirreling them away. Here's my search results.
Narnie is offline   Reply With Quote