Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 04-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
patriciarakel

Blond to darker blond - Best method?

I'm going to start off by saying that I've never dyed a wig before, though I do understand most of the common methods in theory.

I've got a wig (seen here before being trimmed http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/...gs/photo11.jpg) that is really pretty in real life, but doesn't photograph well at conventions. It always ends up looking way too washed out, which, in turn, washes me out. This particular shade also just doesn't compliment my skin tone as well as I would like it to. I'm looking to dye it a slightly darker, warmer blond while keeping it as natural as possible, since the character is from a live-action medium (Rose Tyler from Doctor Who). What would be the best method to dye or tint this wig? What colors should I use to darken it without making it too brown or too yellow?
Astrid (How to Train Your Dragon)
Tinkerbell (Peter Pan)
Reviving This Year:
Annabeth Chase (Percy Jackson)
Katniss Everdeen (Hunger Games)
patriciarakel is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-18-2013, 12:17 PM   #2
Faraday
oh modern man.

Since Rose is notorious for her grown out hair, have you considered coloring roots on the wig yet? Coloring the roots with black then brown sharpie then running a Q-tip with rubbing alcohol can break up the color pretty well on it's own.

If that's not enough, you can create low-lights by using a bit more watered down concentration of brown&gold FW ink/alcohol.
Coloring every other weft will create a darker overall color.
Or leaving two wefts blond and making one darker can create a more broken up color overall.
If you decide to do this, definitely wait until the layer you've darkened is completely dry before moving onto the next weft so you don't muddle up the blond sections.
Unread 04-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #3
patriciarakel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faraday View Post
Since Rose is notorious for her grown out hair, have you considered coloring roots on the wig yet? Coloring the roots with black then brown sharpie then running a Q-tip with rubbing alcohol can break up the color pretty well on it's own.

If that's not enough, you can create low-lights by using a bit more watered down concentration of brown&gold FW ink/alcohol.
Coloring every other weft will create a darker overall color.
Or leaving two wefts blond and making one darker can create a more broken up color overall.
If you decide to do this, definitely wait until the layer you've darkened is completely dry before moving onto the next weft so you don't muddle up the blond sections.
I was considering adding some very slight roots to the wig, but I'm not sure how much just the roots would help, as this wig is for Series 4 Rose, where she don't have near as many roots as in her previous appearances.

I'll definitely look into the brown and gold FW inks. Your idea of only dying every other weft or every third weft would probably give me the sort of results I need. I was mostly worried about choosing the wrong colors and ruining the wig. I'm at the very tail end of my budget for this costume. I technically should be moving on from this one and be completely focused on my Idiot's Lantern Rose (for which I'm actually using your excellent wig tutorial on youtube for), but the color of this wig has been bugging me since I first saw how it photographed. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
Tinkerbell (Peter Pan)
Reviving This Year:
Unread 04-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
Oniigiri_Basket
Fangirl Extraordinaire

Just curious, where did you get the wig? It would be perfect for a cosplay I want to do.

MCM London Comic Expo cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Nagisa Momoe (Madoka Magica)

ALA cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Snow White (Zombie Panic in Wonderland)

2015 conventions: Anime Los Angeles, Anime Central, Japan Expo
Oniigiri_Basket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #5
patriciarakel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oniigiri_Basket View Post
Just curious, where did you get the wig? It would be perfect for a cosplay I want to do.
I bought it on ebay from this seller. This was the exact wig I bought, but they appear to be sold out of the light blond. I really like the wig, but it is a little thin. It's incredibly beautifully blended, though. Thye might have something similar if you look at their shop. If not, there are plenty of other really good wig sellers on ebay. You just have to be a smart shopper and check out their reviews.
Tinkerbell (Peter Pan)
Reviving This Year: