Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 04-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
jadelily

Panty and stocking help :s

I m going to be making the Transformation costume for both panty and stocking. I have no idea where to start, what material to use. if anyone can point out where to start, i appropriate it.
jadelily is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-18-2013, 08:47 PM   #2
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

ref pics? what are your skills? budget? are both for you to wear or one for a friend?
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

Well I've made these costumes before so I know exactly what you are talking about.
But, what do you need help with exactly?

I would suggest using a cotton or a dull satin. But where to start depends on your skill level.
Unread 04-18-2013, 11:09 PM   #4
jadelily

Quote:
Originally Posted by animenerd93 View Post
ref pics? what are your skills? budget? are both for you to wear or one for a friend?
Budget wise, i would like to try and keep it under a 100 for each costume. I havent been sewing that long so i can't do any complicated stitching and what not. My friend is doing panty and i m doing stocking. were both about the same size, I was just wondering what people did for the patterns and material they used. Since this will be the most complicated cosplay i have sewn yet. and I m kinda nervous.

Panty
http://cosplayreferencelibrary.wordp...ransformation/

Stocking
http://cosplayreferencelibrary.wordp...ransformation/

Last edited by jadelily : 04-18-2013 at 11:10 PM. Reason: forgot stuff.
Unread 04-18-2013, 11:12 PM   #5
jadelily

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichigo_m. View Post
Well I've made these costumes before so I know exactly what you are talking about.
But, what do you need help with exactly?

I would suggest using a cotton or a dull satin. But where to start depends on your skill level.
i m pretty new at this still. the most complicated cosplay i ve made so far was azula's cosplays. ones from the earth kingdom and her first fire nation outfit. I was wondering what people did for panty's collar and stockings arm bands.
Unread 04-19-2013, 03:02 AM   #6
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

the collar usuaally is done out of either craft foam, worbla/wonderflex or occasionally stiffened fabric. i really dont recommend sewing this for your first outfit esp if your doing both by yourself... it really cpould take awhile..... the best thing might to be to buy parts and alter it... cause just the wigs themselves for good quality ones (which you want for these) are going to be like $40 a piece
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #7
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

Well if you look on my costume page I have a write up of how I made both costumes. (Which the Stocking one is for sale, if you end up going the buying route).
For the collar I used a gold fabric that I draped over my dress form to get the shape I wanted. But you can use a large piece of newspaper and drape it over you or your friend and trace how you want the collar to be shaped cut that out and then use it for a pattern.
I suggest at least bag lining the collar, but interfacing would also be a good idea.

For Stocking's arm warmers I simply made a tube of fabric that was a little longer then my arm, put it on inside out, pinned it close to my arm and cut the triangle part that goes over the hand. after I sewed up where I pinned I hemmed the triangle and added a loop of elastic to the tip of it which slipped over my middle finger to keep it in place. Then I added the silver band at the top. Be sure to make the silver part smaller than your arm (just tight on your arm) so that it stays up. (:

Good luck! (:
Unread 04-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #8
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Pretty much what ichigo said is some of what I did for Panty and Stocking. I actually found a pattern that I used for the bodice of Stocking because I didn't want a separate corset. It took some modification to do some of the detail work, but it was easy enough to do. I then added a circle skirt to the waist for her. The blue detail on the skirt was bias cut so that it curved around the circle skirt easily.

For Panty, I used an old pattern I had from years ago for the skirt and one for drafting the top. I don't know if you would be able to find those patterns anymore, but they are the ones I used. For the skirt I used the option with the two layers of ruffles and then just made a long piece that draped on the front and hand stitched it down. For the top I used one of the halter shaped ones, added the band around the bottom, and then just worked with the gold vinyl to get the shape of the collar I wanted, then cut the top and put the gold on. I cut two collars of gold so that it sandwiched the top between the layers and left no raw edges.

For the hearts on our costumes I bought clear heart shaped ornaments that have two parts at Hobby Lobby and then painted the insides of them the right color, filled each half with expanding foam, and then cut that off, put a thin, smooth backing on them, painted that, and then attached pins to them so that they could be removed from the costumes if we needed to.

Here's our costumes (we did some extra colors on them so that they wouldn't be boring and just plain white). Ours were made of dull satins and stretch vinyls. My stocking were a mix of stretch lycra and stretch cotton jersey and both of our gloves were stretch lycra. I'm also doing both of these on commission for a few girls as well with all the color accents that we did on ours.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 12:21 AM   #9
jadelily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehdia View Post
Pretty much what ichigo said is some of what I did for Panty and Stocking. I actually found a pattern that I used for the bodice of Stocking because I didn't want a separate corset. It took some modification to do some of the detail work, but it was easy enough to do. I then added a circle skirt to the waist for her. The blue detail on the skirt was bias cut so that it curved around the circle skirt easily.

For Panty, I used an old pattern I had from years ago for the skirt and one for drafting the top. I don't know if you would be able to find those patterns anymore, but they are the ones I used. For the skirt I used the option with the two layers of ruffles and then just made a long piece that draped on the front and hand stitched it down. For the top I used one of the halter shaped ones, added the band around the bottom, and then just worked with the gold vinyl to get the shape of the collar I wanted, then cut the top and put the gold on. I cut two collars of gold so that it sandwiched the top between the layers and left no raw edges.

For the hearts on our costumes I bought clear heart shaped ornaments that have two parts at Hobby Lobby and then painted the insides of them the right color, filled each half with expanding foam, and then cut that off, put a thin, smooth backing on them, painted that, and then attached pins to them so that they could be removed from the costumes if we needed to.

Here's our costumes (we did some extra colors on them so that they wouldn't be boring and just plain white). Ours were made of dull satins and stretch vinyls. My stocking were a mix of stretch lycra and stretch cotton jersey and both of our gloves were stretch lycra. I'm also doing both of these on commission for a few girls as well with all the color accents that we did on ours.
Did you use lycra for the grey parts? My problem is, finding the a grey that matches the colors. And patterns are not a problem for me :3 i have a pattern problem. I have ones that will work for all the pieces.
Unread 04-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #10
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

All of my grey on the dress and the choker was done is a heavy silver satin. The armbands on my gloves were silver stretch vinyl.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote