Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 04-18-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
xcvi
xcvi

Major construction help? Gwendolyn from Odin Sphere

Okay.. next year I'm planning to cosplay as Gwendolyn from Odin Sphere
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_zPd4lDJbqF...1600/Odin1.jpg

Lol yes I'm already thinking about working on my costume for next year..

I've never done a costume as complex as this... the most complex costume I've done (well that I'm currently working on) is Nia Teppelin from Gurren Lagann. So.. I mean I've had experience with minor armor.. I used Wonderflex for the shoulder plates of the cloak.

What I'm wondering for Gwendolyn is.. everything lol.
First of all... how on earth do you attach the wigs to yourself and not have it show? That's one construction issue I'm having trouble figuring out... I'll probably be using Wonderflex for the feathers.. and they're going to be fairly heavy just because of the way they have to be constructed. Does anyone have any ideas of how I should secure them.. in a way that I'd be able to take them off if I need to use the bathroom without having to take my entire costume off lol.

The next thing is her javelin.. I really want to make the gem glow.. so I need to put a light in it and I have no idea how to do that. I also want to make it really look like a gem.. is there any way to cast something large like that.. with a light? Ultimately I really want the light to pulse.. how lol.

LASTLY.. the leg armor. I don't think I'll have a problem with the front of the leg armor.. but the back. She kind of has black stockings but it turns into black armor that sticks out, as you can see in the picture.. how do I add something like that to stockings?

If anyone can answer this at all, especially the large gem/pulsing light part that would be completely fantastic! Thanks!
xcvi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-19-2013, 02:33 AM   #2
Midnight Dawn

Sewing is not the department I'm good at. But for everything else I believe I can help you.

The gem itself can be made of many different types of compositions. But in my case, I'd go with blue tinted plexiglass which can be shaped into the gem. But for the light, obviously the gem has to be hollow. Radio shack already sells a blue blinking LED. It's just a matter of setting up a circuit and that would be that. If you need help with the math I can do that for you.

It's not really armor but more like this kind of boot http://www.highheels.com.au/highheel...37fe411fd7.jpg with a bit of a upper cone curvature. This item you can purchase as is at some specialty store. So you don't have to worry too much in making it yourself.

BTW, when do you need the javelin by? It's seems like a really interesting project and I'd love to build one.

Last edited by Midnight Dawn : 04-19-2013 at 02:37 AM.
Midnight Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 03:50 AM   #3
Kelley
Devil of Details

Midnight Dawn, you give great advice, but I have to disagree about the boots. An elastic, tight-fitting tube isn't going to give the right look - and most stripper boots are going to have a really wrong heel to work with if you're trying to emulate the artwork as shown.

I'd personally make the back part out of craft foam or leather. It's standing way far away from her skin in all the reference pictures I found and has raised detailing, so I'd have it anchored to an under-boot that provides structure that goes up to the knee. I'd get some sturdy knee-high boots and build all of that over them - or you could make the black boots the underboot in and of themselves and have them fitted enough to stand up on their own and build over them.

Something like this is closer : http://www.snaz75.com/pl-legend-8868.html , but since the back is still totally different I think they'd be a waste of money since you'd have to completely cover them, anyway - and you could find a base boot for cheaper that's sturdier and more comfortable.

For the wings. What about using craft foam to help lighten the burden ? I've also seen people use real feather to beautiful effect.

I would secure them to a sturdy leather "belt" - depending on weight you could use a buckle or heavy-duty industrial snaps. For comfort you might wish to make the inside of the belt padded, or resting on a pad. I'd also make sure you weight the wings themselves so that their center of gravity is near the "bottom" part by your body so they're not wiggling around on you and trying to tip back. I'd also make sure the belt is secured so it can't move around and twist - you could attach it to points on the top like people did with corsets and hoop skirts or you could even build it into a girdle/panties.

Based on this image : http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3420/...307b3c74_o.png , I'd say that getting dressed you would put on the wings first, then the black skirt, then tuck the white part in. This would make going to the bathroom a hassle, but not impossible - and you'd just have to take off the black skirt and the wings - and presumably have some kind of opaque underwear/whatever on under that so you don't flash the bathroom. :P

Depending on how close to the body you build the wings, you might not even have to take them off for the bathroom - something else to consider.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #4
xcvi
xcvi

You guys are awesome! Thank you so much!!
Okay so a few questions...
@Midnight Dawn:
For the plexiglass...... how lol. I've never ever worked with plexiglass before! I wouldn't want the gem to be completely see through.. I'd want it to be slightly opaque but not completely... and casting things would be waay to heavy for it. What do you mean shape the plexiglass? Is this kind something you can mold? Or would I just get a bunch of flat pieces and attach each side? OH. Okay so obviously with something like this I would build my own mold....... Is it possible to make the gem in two pieces.. and make it hollow that way? I've never actually cast anything except for small gems (for Nia Teppelin). How hard is it to make your own mold, especially so it will all line up! Also.. can you make it hollow by like.. making the mold, and then putting something inside it once you've poured in the resin or whatever you're using.. to make it hollow? Do that twice and then possibly melt it together? Also for the light.. I wouldn't want it to show.. I'd want it to have a glowing effect inside the gem... I'm thinking the rod for the javelin would be PVC pipe so I could have a wire running through it? Also so it would reduce some of the weight. Can I run a wire through it so I can turn the light on and off? Finally.. circuit stuff? How on earth lol. Is it possible to purchase a light that pulses/glows instead of flashes? If not.. and you know how to program it or whatever.. I would totally enlist you!
Actually I just found this.. she did a really good job on the gem and has a light! I think this is kind of the idea of what I want to do.. just a tad bit more blue:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-GjLyTPe9k-.../s640/WWW6.jpg

@Kelley:
For the feathers I think I do want to use something hard because real colored feathers seem like they can be a hassle! I also like how some people have done iridescent spray paint on them like this:
http://loschaos.com/wp-content/uploa...oto-by-AOJ.jpg
As for the center of gravity... one thing that I notice about Gwendolyn cosplays is that a lot of people end up having the wings too level. As you can see in the first picture of her (the official art), the wings sort of tip up. How would I do that? Would putting some sort of slight weight in the front of the wings do the trick?

Again, thanks soo much!
Unread 04-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
Midnight Dawn

Trying to cast it would be very difficult just trying to match the right dimensions and making sure it's equal all around. This is why I suggested piecing it together part by part with plexiglass. I'm not sure if you have a Tap store where you from or the tools to make it. But you'll require either a jigsaw or soldering knife and acrylic cement to put it together all things I have.

However if you go with the mold, you'll need to create a positive and negative mold of what you want. Then you can use the resin cast to make it. But in my opinion, that's a lot of work to do.

PVC pipe would be ideal in this case to run the wire and place the switch in the pipe. LED come in many variety. If you just want it to glow, that it quite doable. But for the circuit itself, it's quite simple. Just a switch, wires, battery, LED, probably a resistor of some sort if all you want is for the light to glow on and off with a flick of the switch.

If you're interested in enlisting me I am open to building it.
Unread 04-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #6
xcvi
xcvi

@Midnight Dawn:
My one concern is.. what happens when the battery runs out in the light or if it burns out? I want it to last a really long time because I'll probably want to wear the costume to multiple conventions... is there an easy way to switch out the light if I'm going to be using the PVC pipe?

As for help.. I really want to build the javelin but I am NOT tech oriented and setting up the whole circuit thing might be really helpful! I'll let you know! I don't need it anytime soon.. I'm working on two other costumes for a con coming up in May but this costume would be for next year.. I just wanted to start thinking about it now and maybe even start working on it so I won't be in a panic when the convention comes around.. like I am right now lol.
Unread 04-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #7
Midnight Dawn

Both depends on how long they are in use. Both can last for a considerable amount of time continuing for hours. But namely the LED should last for quite a while so long as you don't keep in running day in and day out. If the LED does burn out it'll take a bit of ingenuity to take it in and out.

No worries. When you're ready I'll be there to assist with tech support of what you need. So I hoped this help.
Unread 04-20-2013, 08:41 AM   #8
Kelley
Devil of Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcvi View Post
@Kelley:
For the feathers I think I do want to use something hard because real colored feathers seem like they can be a hassle! I also like how some people have done iridescent spray paint on them like this:
http://loschaos.com/wp-content/uploa...oto-by-AOJ.jpg
As for the center of gravity... one thing that I notice about Gwendolyn cosplays is that a lot of people end up having the wings too level. As you can see in the first picture of her (the official art), the wings sort of tip up. How would I do that? Would putting some sort of slight weight in the front of the wings do the trick?

Again, thanks soo much!
Yeah, I think hers look really pretty.

And, yeah, you'd *probably* need weight in the very front to do that - but it will depend on where the weight is when they're constructed - and make sure to construct them with the upward angle needed to get that look once you've got them sitting right.

For the most cohesive look, I'd want the feathers on the "inside", too - and you could hide the added weight in a pocket between the inside and outside feathers. Since they're really wings and not just a costume piece, it would be cool if you were to construct a realistic frame/shape based off bird anatomy and it'd give you the shape you want and look really graceful (which I think fits the character), instead of potentially clunky.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 06:37 PM   #9
xcvi
xcvi

@Midnight Dawn:
Good to know.. I would probably make sure to turn it off when I'm not being photographed or something just to assure that it will last. I won't be ready to make this for a little while but I will certainly let you know when I embark on it!! Thank you so so so so much!

@Kelley:
Fabulous idea to do the actual bird anatomy. Honestly.. I have enough time.. and would LOVE to make it so the wings actually spread out like a real bird.. but I don't really know how to do that! I know some people construct wings like that that they have on their back but do you know if there are any tutorials for that? How would you translate that to something attached to your waist? If I can't pull that off.. I will certainly do the real wing anatomy because I don't think that's even been done! Thank you!!!