Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 04-22-2013, 06:39 AM   #1
SaccharineQueen
Stay Sweet!

FW Ink dye method problem

Okay so I had a problem with dying my wig with the FW ink method. Here's what I did, I can't figure out where I went wrong and I'd really appreciate any help with this before I attempt it again >_>

I used 64% rubbing alcohol (because that was all I could get) and I used ten full droppers of dye. After I had sprayed it, the wig became crunchy and streaky and some parts of it would not take the dye.

I have no idea why this happened, I looked at tutorials beforehand and everything!

Can anyone help me figure out where I went wrong and what I should do? Was it the alcohol amount? The amount of dye?

Thanks!
SaccharineQueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-22-2013, 08:59 AM   #2
Xaila
*hoardes makeup forever*

Throwing out questions/anecdata here for ya:

How soon did it get crunchy after spraying? I did the FW Ink dye thing last year and when I let it all [sun] dry, it DID get crunchy and was slightly streaky due to gravity pulling the wig dye down to the ends of the wig. A quick cold water rinse put the fibers back to normal (as normal as wet wig fibers can get).

It could also be the type of wig you got? Depending on if its more patchy (the color just missing TONS of areas) rather than streaky (more than one application needed). There are some wig fibers that just do NOT take wig color due to how they're treated. I got some wigs similar to Epic Cosplay's off ebay from a HK seller and they took the dye relatively well after a few sessions.

Lastly, if you're US, what region? I could hopefully point to a store chain that carries higher percentages of isoporyl alcohol for ya.
Xaila is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 10:57 AM   #3
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

To add to the above there was probably much water in the 64%. It's ideal to use a high percentage of alcohol it that it evaporates off the hair which accounts for the streaky-ness.

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 12:47 AM   #4
SaccharineQueen
Stay Sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaila View Post
Throwing out questions/anecdata here for ya:

How soon did it get crunchy after spraying? I did the FW Ink dye thing last year and when I let it all [sun] dry, it DID get crunchy and was slightly streaky due to gravity pulling the wig dye down to the ends of the wig. A quick cold water rinse put the fibers back to normal (as normal as wet wig fibers can get).

It could also be the type of wig you got? Depending on if its more patchy (the color just missing TONS of areas) rather than streaky (more than one application needed). There are some wig fibers that just do NOT take wig color due to how they're treated. I got some wigs similar to Epic Cosplay's off ebay from a HK seller and they took the dye relatively well after a few sessions.

Lastly, if you're US, what region? I could hopefully point to a store chain that carries higher percentages of isoporyl alcohol for ya.
I think it was just after it dried. I combed it and wet it but it still felt kinda stiff and not soft.

Ahh, I didn't consider that it might be the wig. I'm thinking I might try again with this wig I have and see how it goes, and then if it fails again I'll buy a different one. Is Kanekalon the best to buy to hold dye?

I'm actually in Australia! They stock the high percentage amounts in TINY bottles and it's pretty expensive for those, so that's why I chose the lesser percent one. Might have to try it and see then! >_>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani_BEE View Post
To add to the above there was probably much water in the 64%. It's ideal to use a high percentage of alcohol it that it evaporates off the hair which accounts for the streaky-ness.
That must've been why! I had a feeling that was the reason, I was so annoyed I couldn't find 70%! Seems I got some experimenting to do on the higher percents of alcohol ones then!

Thanks for your replies~
Unread 04-23-2013, 03:44 AM   #5
Xaila
*hoardes makeup forever*

I will agree that after the FW ink treatment, the wigs don't quite have that natural softness and bounce much anymore to a degree. I used some wig conditioner to try and help bring it back to a degree while I was washing my wig.

But crunchy is going to happen, a sad side effect of the process.

Kanekalon is good I believe, as are the Epic-line. I know New Look or any Elenora-fiber based wigs are atrocious for dying. As I stick to mainly Amphigory & Epic for my wig purchases now (no more ebay and such for me! >[); the "undyeable" brands are mostly unknown to me beyond the tips Amphigory tells you about their wigs and the fibers.

I wish you luck in the dying department! I hope you can possibly find a bulk-good store or a specialty shop that sells 70% in a decent size for you!
Xaila is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 10:08 AM   #6
SaccharineQueen
Stay Sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaila View Post
I will agree that after the FW ink treatment, the wigs don't quite have that natural softness and bounce much anymore to a degree. I used some wig conditioner to try and help bring it back to a degree while I was washing my wig.

But crunchy is going to happen, a sad side effect of the process.

Kanekalon is good I believe, as are the Epic-line. I know New Look or any Elenora-fiber based wigs are atrocious for dying. As I stick to mainly Amphigory & Epic for my wig purchases now (no more ebay and such for me! >[); the "undyeable" brands are mostly unknown to me beyond the tips Amphigory tells you about their wigs and the fibers.

I wish you luck in the dying department! I hope you can possibly find a bulk-good store or a specialty shop that sells 70% in a decent size for you!
Ah, I see, thanks for clearing that up! I'll have to get some wig conditioner too then and hope it'll go less crunchy.

I'm not too sure what sort of wig mine was, it was an Ebay buy and it was super soft, and didn't feel like my usual wigs so I will definitely have a look at those Epic and Amphigory ones.

Thank you! ^_^ I still have a long time till the con I'll be wearing this at so I will hopefully work it all out!
Unread 04-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

What colour where you trying to achieve on what colour wig?

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #8
SaccharineQueen
Stay Sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani_BEE View Post
What colour where you trying to achieve on what colour wig?
Ah, I probably shouldve specified that! I was trying to do a gradient effect starting with blue and then fading to pink, and I started with a white wig.

This was the character I am doing for it, Arcade Sona: http://riot-web-static.s3.amazonaws....ona_Splash.jpg