Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 04-24-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
sooyong
Ninja for Hire

Fixing a complicated corset

Last year I made a corset-like top for my Viola cosplay (http://www.game-art-hq.com/wp-conten...Render-SCV.jpg), and of course I had no idea what I was doing.

Since I unfortunately don't have a dressform, making the corset and fitting it to my body was a huge pain. In the end, while I had no problem wearing it, it turns out the waist was too big, leading to a wrinkly mess that looks like this: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3267064/

If I pull it down myself, it looks fine, but then it eventually rides up and wrinkles again.

Before I try to remake this dreaded piece, can anyone give me any advice on how to fix this so that it doesn't wrinkle?

2014 plans:
TGS2014 - Zhurong (DW8) and fem!Kotetsu (Tiger&Bunny)
BIGBANG Concert - Fantastic Baby G-Dragon
Winter Comiket - ???

sooyong is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
Boreotheria
n00b

I don't think it's a huge whack too big in the waist. Corset-style bodices crumple if they don't have any boning in them, because they ride up and down as your body bends and moves. (I'm working on something that will have a similar issue if I don't put boning in.)

You might just want to buy some plastic/polyester boning and sew it in vertical strips down the inside of the garment. See if that helps it keep its shape. If you're going to ditch it and try again from scratch, you might as well try some cheap solutions on the existing one first.

The only size issue that I think I see is that the bodice is too long for your torso, vertically. It looks like if you tugged down the skirt so that the laced part and the bit underneath it were straightened out, the skirt would be too low on your hips.

As for dress forms, it might be worth making a duct tape dummy:
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Duct-Tape-Dress-Form
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

First off this is a beautiful cosplay!
Second, I second what Boreotheria said. Boaning or interfacing would do the trick. Also if you wanted to go crazy you could put weights at the bottom of the bodice hold it down.
Though boaning should do that and be easier and more attractive. (:
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:04 PM   #4
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Like the others said, boning will solve a lot of those issues. I don't use plastic boning, I prefer steel. Not everyone likes steel, but it has its advantages, like not warping when you body gets too hot. And you can get both flat steel and spiral steel boning which holds up really well. And as ichigo said, your costume really is beautiful already. If you just tweak the bodice with some boning it will just become even more beautiful.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 10:32 PM   #5
Boreotheria
n00b

I should repeat what was suggested to me in another thread, as to why I said plastic rather than steel. For a garment that isn't meant to shape your body but that just needs to be able to hold its own shape while you wear it, plastic boning should work. (I have some flat black stuff that's about half an inch wide and fairly stiff. Also this week my husband got a package in the mail and the box had these plastic straps around it that were made of basically the same stuff.)

If the garment isn't made like an actual corset, with the coutil to keep it from stretching and deforming, steel boning might not do much on its own and might look and feel too obvious.
Unread 04-25-2013, 12:47 AM   #6
sooyong
Ninja for Hire

Thank you so much for the compliments and advice, everyone! I was suspecting that boning might be the answer, so I'll try that. You can't see it from the front, but the back laces up as well, and I actually have to tighten it nearly all the way just to fit, which is why I said it was too big.As you may or may not be able to tell, I used a metallic PVC enamel fabric. Thus I was really nervous about mistakes, since stitching in the wrong place meant holes in my fabric and having to start over.

Boreotheria, I think you may be right about it being too long. Also, the volume of the skirt is the reason why the "apron" part of the corset is wrinkling. I'm wondering about sewing some darts, which is what I wanted to avoid...I'll try the boning first though. I want to do whatever I can to avoid making another one, since it was the most stressful and thus least favorite part of the whole outfit ^^;

Thanks again everyone! <3

2014 plans:
TGS2014 - Zhurong (DW8) and fem!Kotetsu (Tiger&Bunny)
BIGBANG Concert - Fantastic Baby G-Dragon
Winter Comiket - ???

sooyong is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #7
Penlowe

Yup, boning, and not even too much really.

As to the apron part, it's a simpler fix than you realize! Open up the side seam from the bottom edge going up about 3 inches (I'm guessing based on the picture). Try it on with the skirt, the slits will let it lay flat! Measure the gap where you opened the seam at it's widest point. cut a triangle of your fabric (I hope you have some scraps left) and sew it in there. done! MUCH easier than re-doing that lovely scalloped hem.