Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
Cosplay4Lyfe
The girl who Cosplays!

Cosplaying in Public?

I'm fairly new to cosplaying and I'm planning on cosplaying in public sometime in the near future. Now for those of you who are more experienced in this, I have some questions for you guys.

1: What was your first time cosplaying in public like?

2: Whats the weirdest experience you've had while cosplaying in public?

3: What should I expect?

Thanks and please add any other additional details I might need to know ^_^

Sac-Anime

Cosplays

Kagamine Rin (Vocaloid)(15% Done)(Confirmed-High Priority)

Allen Walker (D Gray-Man)(95% Done)(Confirmed)

Princess Zelda (LoZ: Twilight Princess)(0% Done)(Unconfirmed)

Zelda Goddess Form (LoZ: Skyward Sword)(20% Done)(Confirmed-High Priority)

Accounts

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/reneehearts7
DeviantArt: http://therandomstickgirl.deviantart.com

Cosplay4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-27-2013, 04:37 PM   #2
Oniigiri_Basket
Fangirl Extraordinaire

By "cosplaying in public," do you mean cosplaying outside your home in general or cosplaying just outside conventions?

MCM London Comic Expo cosplay: Sayaka Miki [mermaid] (Madoka Magica), Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service)

ALA cosplay: Tetra (The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker), Medli (The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker), Sayaka Miki [mermaid] (Madoka Magica), Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service)

2015 conventions: Anime Los Angeles, Anime Central, Japan Expo
Oniigiri_Basket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
Cosplay4Lyfe
The girl who Cosplays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oniigiri_Basket View Post
By "cosplaying in public," do you mean cosplaying outside your home in general or cosplaying just outside conventions?
Outside conventions.

Sac-Anime

Cosplays

Accounts

Unread 04-27-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
Addygalebrindel

I cosplay just around town all the time. My latest one was down in St. Louis actually. We went to the zoo and I donned my Vanellope cosplay. Granted I got some wierd looks by some of the adults but the kids loved it. Its kinda funny watching them drag their parents over because they want to talk or get a picture. Then you get tennagers to adults who more often then not want to talk to you about what character your potraying did you make it yourself...stuff like that. I've had some tell me to grow up but half the time my kids are in cosplay too just because they think its fun.
Most importantly if you like doing it. Do it. Who cares what others think. You only live once so why not. My experiance is that you tend to get a lot more positive then negative responses to it.
Unread 04-27-2013, 07:14 PM   #5
Cosplay4Lyfe
The girl who Cosplays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addygalebrindel View Post
I cosplay just around town all the time. My latest one was down in St. Louis actually. We went to the zoo and I donned my Vanellope cosplay. Granted I got some wierd looks by some of the adults but the kids loved it. Its kinda funny watching them drag their parents over because they want to talk or get a picture. Then you get tennagers to adults who more often then not want to talk to you about what character your potraying did you make it yourself...stuff like that. I've had some tell me to grow up but half the time my kids are in cosplay too just because they think its fun.
Most importantly if you like doing it. Do it. Who cares what others think. You only live once so why not. My experiance is that you tend to get a lot more positive then negative responses to it.
Aww, thats so cute that little kids wanted to talk to you >W< And thanks for the advice, I'll keep it in mind ^_^

Sac-Anime

Cosplays

Accounts

Unread 04-27-2013, 09:04 PM   #6
FluffyCoatIzaya
I Love Izaya Orihara ^^

i cosplayed at my mall before. I had a weird experience once. There was an event at a store so, i was in a group. So, these random people asked us what we were doing. So told them then i hear there mom tell them to stay away from us because we might be rapists. In my head i was like 0-0. I think i was the only one in the group that heard them it was weird.
Unread 04-27-2013, 10:40 PM   #7
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

It was awkward because I was not quite secure with myself in cosplay outside of conventions. I always felt like people were staring at me (even though they really weren't). But I've gotten used to it now, and now get even more stares since I dress as Captain Jack Sparrow now

Not sure really. It's all a very different experience each time (I go out in costume quite often)

Depending on which costume you are wearing, you should expect some people to take creeper pics of you (people outside of conventions are a little bit hesitant to ask for pics so they tend to sneak pics on their phone, most of the time they fail because their camera flash goes off and I see it lol). But yea, be aware of that.
Unread 04-27-2013, 11:05 PM   #8
chibierwin
Tall Little Freak

I think CourtoonXIII sums it up really well!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYhQe...ZsG7A&index=12

As for my own response:

I was very nervous as it was my first cosplay, but as soon as you see other cosplayers walking around and such, all anxiety goes away.

Probably at Katsucon 2012, when a small family for four and their grandmother called me over to explain what the convention was. It was more cute and funny then weird though^^ They said they called me over because I was one of the most normal and friendliest looking "dress-up people" they had seen, though I had green hair and a combat looking outfit~

People not there for the con will be curious, included the following reactions of: picture taking, weird looks, questioning, and rarely insults. Don't listen to the haters, because they often don't understand or are too closed minded to appreciate it!
In Progress: Syaoran: Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles/ Yusuke Urameshi (Dark Tournament): Yu Yu Hakusho/ Yoh (Revamp): Shaman King/ Jenos Hazard: Black Cat/ Teito Klein (Mourning Robes): 07-Ghost/ Kaito Sinbad: KKJ
chibierwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 01:17 AM   #9
SA2R
King of the Skies

I cosplay in public fairly often actually. My state's con has a group that likes to arrange meet-ups at malls and such.

I can't quite remember the first time, but the closest I could recall was fun. It was at a theme park, with a large group of cosplayers from the state's con. It is so much more easy when you cosplay with friends and or in a large group. It's actually become common for little kids to ask us if we are superheros Ono.

Probably when I cosplayed Alois, and a few girls in prom dresses wanted a photo with me. It was surprising cause they all seemed rather preppy. And I am afraid of preppy XD;;

I think you will enjoy it. A lot of people get a kick out of seeing us in cosplay. But~ you know~ be on your best behavior :I

Prince Ludwig...........ルードヴィッヒ革命
Takuto Tsunashi...........STAR DRIVER
Haruto...........Valvrave the Liberator
Leddo................Suisei no Gargantia
Red Mist.........................KICK-ASS
Rui....................Gatchaman Crowds
Yukine.............................Noragami
Hoozuki..............Hoozuki no reitetsu
Ringabel...................Bravely default

( ´ ▽ ` )v

SA2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 01:45 AM   #10
Monocle_Complex
Chessmate

My experience was neither bad, nor was it good. As I more or less expected the general public around me was curious, though they maintained a distance met with a few stares my way. Still, I was nervous. Even though there are tons of sites filled with excellent stories about people sincerely curious about cosplay I was still focusing on the 10% that told tales about awful experiences that they'd had with people.

I was surprised how indifferent people actually were to it.

I've never actually had an experience that could've been dubbed weird [considering the circumstance that I'm dressed up in cosplay to begin with.] So I will just say one of my most rememberable.

This actually happened a few weeks ago at Anime Detour. Myself, my boyfriend and a friend of mine after some deliberation had decided to convene to the nearby family restaurant for some food when we started getting hungry. I had expected that maybe with the con going on there would have been a consistent flood of cosplayers coming and going that day. But really-- it was just us in there, and everyone that was there had seemed to have been either workers out for lunch or seniors hanging out with friends. Again, there were curious stares, though they had maintained a distance away to more or less gawk at us whiles we ate. Completely understandable, cosplay is meant to be looked at.

It was toward the end of our meal however that an older gentleman had joined us. Grandfather age certainly--- but young in spirit. He took a seat next to us.
"Okay you guys, you've got my interest. I was just wondering why you're in costumes. Is there a party going on somewhere?"

He was genuinely interested by the tone of his voice. We explained that there was a convention across the street going on and that yearly people attend it in costume to roam around the hotel and partake in the activities there. It was only then he laughed and said he dresses in costumes as well. [Dressed up as pirates with his friends as it was, and biked in marathons to do charities for MS.] It was probably one of the most positive reactions I got from cosplaying. And he was very kind and interested in what we were doing. It was a sharing experience for us both. I was sort of sad to see him go. He'd asked if there was any way for him to get tickets so he could go as well but the convention had met it's attendant capacity months prior.

To expect reactions you have to understand the nature of cosplay. We wear costumes for a reason; we wear them so that they can be looked at, admired and sometimes judged by the critical eye. Still, the primary nature for this all stems for an amount of attention that we seek.

Be aware that outside the convention these rules still apply. If you are in costume people will still be looking at your cosplay. Chances are they'll be more surprised than con-goers, because it breaks the repetition of everyday life. You're going to get stared at.

Despite the notion that there are jack-wads around every corner there really aren't. These sort of instances only make up a small percentage of your cosplaying experience. It's very rare that you will end up running into those sort of people. And if you do-- the best thing to do is ignore them. Don't give them what they want and bark back. Not because you're incapable of retaliation, but as a representative of the cosplaying community you're attempting to provoke reactions, not responses.

We already walk a fine line with a lot of people that don't understand cosplay. We should show them that our community is made up of logical, civil people. Not a clan of weebos chomping at the bit that screams and cries anytime our honor is sullied.

Anime Detour 2014:
• Corvo Attano [100% Complete]
•Spider Splicer [100% Complete]

Anime Detour 2014:
•Spider Splicer

Last edited by Monocle_Complex : 04-28-2013 at 01:48 AM.
Monocle_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #11
Amanita

I remember what things were like when I joined this forum- there was a rather vocal "Don't cosplay in public" contingent, and some of them could get rather self righteous on the topic. Saying that those of us who cosplayed in public were making cosplayers look stupid, that merely being out in public in a costume was tantamount to "being a pest..wearing a bikini to a children's graduation ceremony..as bad as a group of teenagers taking over the street corner you live on and having an all afternoon dance party".

For what it's worth, I'm glad that the mood seems to be changing.

I guess my first time cosplaying in public was at FalCon in 1997, the first convention I ever went to. Sooner or later I needed food, so I went out in search of it. I got some curious people asking what was up, I just showed them my con badge and explained what was going on.

Weirdest experience?- I cosplayed as a Twi'lek Jedi at our local Buskerfest one year. Somebody came up behind me and petted my Lekku (Head tentacles for the non Star Wars fans) I turned around, and there were two ladies who asked if they could take my picture.

What to expect? You'll definitely get people looking. Sure, some people might say stupid things like "They might be rapists" as in the above example. (I might have said something there- that's an INCREDIBLY offensive thing to say"
But people in general can be surprisingly open minded if given the chance, and you'll get lots of curious types.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #12
Cosplay4Lyfe
The girl who Cosplays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyCoatIzaya View Post
i cosplayed at my mall before. I had a weird experience once. There was an event at a store so, i was in a group. So, these random people asked us what we were doing. So told them then i hear there mom tell them to stay away from us because we might be rapists. In my head i was like 0-0. I think i was the only one in the group that heard them it was weird.
O_O Wow O_O Well, at least we know that the mom is taking good responsibilty over her kids ^_^ Anyways, thanks for the answer! ^_^

Sac-Anime

Cosplays

Accounts

Unread 04-28-2013, 07:47 PM   #13
Cosplay4Lyfe
The girl who Cosplays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweeneyTodd View Post
It was awkward because I was not quite secure with myself in cosplay outside of conventions. I always felt like people were staring at me (even though they really weren't). But I've gotten used to it now, and now get even more stares since I dress as Captain Jack Sparrow now

Not sure really. It's all a very different experience each time (I go out in costume quite often)

Depending on which costume you are wearing, you should expect some people to take creeper pics of you (people outside of conventions are a little bit hesitant to ask for pics so they tend to sneak pics on their phone, most of the time they fail because their camera flash goes off and I see it lol). But yea, be aware of that.
Creeper photos? Lol XD Thanks for the answer ^_^

Sac-Anime

Cosplays

Accounts

Unread 04-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #14
Cosplay4Lyfe
The girl who Cosplays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibierwin View Post
I think CourtoonXIII sums it up really well!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYhQe...ZsG7A&index=12

As for my own response:

I was very nervous as it was my first cosplay, but as soon as you see other cosplayers walking around and such, all anxiety goes away.

Probably at Katsucon 2012, when a small family for four and their grandmother called me over to explain what the convention was. It was more cute and funny then weird though^^ They said they called me over because I was one of the most normal and friendliest looking "dress-up people" they had seen, though I had green hair and a combat looking outfit~

People not there for the con will be curious, included the following reactions of: picture taking, weird looks, questioning, and rarely insults. Don't listen to the haters, because they often don't understand or are too closed minded to appreciate it!
Dress up people? X3 Thats funny, but it's true XD Thanks for the answer, and I'll check out the link ^_^

Sac-Anime

Cosplays

Accounts

Unread 04-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #15
Cosplay4Lyfe
The girl who Cosplays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA2R View Post
I cosplay in public fairly often actually. My state's con has a group that likes to arrange meet-ups at malls and such.

I can't quite remember the first time, but the closest I could recall was fun. It was at a theme park, with a large group of cosplayers from the state's con. It is so much more easy when you cosplay with friends and or in a large group. It's actually become common for little kids to ask us if we are superheros Ono.

Probably when I cosplayed Alois, and a few girls in prom dresses wanted a photo with me. It was surprising cause they all seemed rather preppy. And I am afraid of preppy XD;;

I think you will enjoy it. A lot of people get a kick out of seeing us in cosplay. But~ you know~ be on your best behavior :I
Thanks for the answer! And I can't wait to get my cosplay done, so that I can start cosplaying in public

Sac-Anime

Cosplays

Accounts